GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Videogames are to blame for my son being a murderer!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/07 at 21:53
Regular
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26755

'Harling's mother is quoted as saying, "I know these games are played by kids across the world, but some are truly horrific. And if they can cause a trigger to be pulled in someone's head they should be banned."'

Never mind she bought the 18 rated games for her 11 year old son...after all, for children that age, the game mentioned WAS banned.

Ignorance is no excuse. The age ratings are clear on the games, and surely the title was a giveaway. This mother is indirectly responsible for the death of another person - she admits this herself in that article yet still throws the emphasis on the game....
Mon 20/08/07 at 14:05
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I dont particuarly agree with what she says either. That she didnt bring the usual "Videogames are destroying society!!!"" reactionary garbage and actually tried to pose some new questions about it is what made me pay more attention than I usually would.
Mon 20/08/07 at 06:54
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Garin wrote:
> If you say so.

I take it back, she knows her stuff, I think my last post about her was tinged with envy. It's sort of odd though, most of the views she expresses I completely disagree with. I'm tempted to comment on a few of her blog articles just to chuck in another viewpoint here and there but I keep getting distracted reading up on Two Worlds.

Must be love.
Fri 17/08/07 at 14:39
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well with GTA IV delayed, he needs something to keep him occupied I guess. :)
Fri 17/08/07 at 14:32
Regular
Garin wrote:
> And lets face it, somebody with any industry experience
> at all talking about it is quite a rarity.

Speaking of which, Jack Thompson is going after Bioshock.
Fri 17/08/07 at 14:25
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> That just means she's well-read and can articulate her thoughts
> on the subject. Doesn't make her any more of an expert that any
> videogamer that has learned to read and understand, it just means
> her spelling is likely to be better and that she's able to put
> her view across more comprehensively.

If you say so. I think somebody who actually works in the video game industry would claim to have a greater understanding of it than somebody who does not. And lets face it, somebody with any industry experience at all talking about it is quite a rarity. I'd rather listen to her views on the subject than somebody of Jack Thompson's ilk.
Fri 17/08/07 at 13:57
Regular
Garin wrote:
> former editor of Edge so generally seems to be in the know.

That just means she's well-read and can articulate her thoughts on the subject. Doesn't make her any more of an expert that any videogamer that has learned to read and understand, it just means her spelling is likely to be better and that she's able to put her view across more comprehensively.

Videogame violence articles are always lopsided, they never tackle videogame goodness in the same piece. E.g. how Viva Pinata teaches time management, resource allocation and multi-tasking skills.

Same with movies: watch one movie and the next day you might randomly give a flower to a passerby, watch another movie and the next day you might randomly rip their throat out with your bare hands.
Fri 17/08/07 at 03:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Yet another article about video game violence

Shes also posted a follow up in her blog. Her blog is quite interesting actually, former editor of Edge so generally seems to be in the know.
Wed 18/07/07 at 21:32
Regular
I just drowned.
Wed 18/07/07 at 14:22
Regular
I drowned Mario after playing with your sister.
Wed 18/07/07 at 11:32
Regular
I just drowned my sister after playing Mario Sunshine...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.