GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Settlers (DS)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Settlers'.
Sat 14/07/07 at 23:07
Regular
"Captain to you."
I woke up the other day and thought to myself “I wish I had a game with Amiga graphics and game play for my DS”, later that day I got Settlers. (I didn't really wake up thinking that, it was probably “what time is it”)

Many moons ago, far too many for me to bother counting I used to love, and I mean LOVE settlers on my Amiga i must have spent so much time playing it as a nipper. So when I found out that you could get it on the DS and it was just the same I jumped in to action.

Graphically it is Settlers, it's sprites all over the place building houses, fortresses and farms, you'll have hundreds of little men ferrying materials and goods up and down your town's roads dropping them at flags and running back to get more.

Your main objective is to settle a town on various maps, some will just require that you expand and progress through all the buildings and upgrades. Other maps will have other nations trying to settle on the same map, this will require that you take over and defeat their settlement and army.

The attacking side of the game isn't quite as straight forward as modern day RTS games you can't just select troops and march them off, you first have to make sure you have the food and money to keep your troops and only then can you send some off, and only if you have discovered the enemy's territory and have a border touching theirs.

The great thing about Settlers is that it goes just a little bit further with resources as most of the buildings you will create are to supply materials and food to other buildings.

Some examples of this is that you need a Woodcutter to chop down trees in your territory, then the logs need to be processed by the Sawmill and then the planks can be used in all buildings. But at some point you will start to run out of trees, so you need to get a Forester to plant new trees.

The game is often a balance of having enough trees to chop down and not plant so many that it restricts you from building in areas that you need to.

When you place a building block(where the building is going to get built) there is also a short path and flag placed at the end of it, you must then connect that flag to other flags in your town to form roads for your men to travel on. This is the one part of the game that could have been improved a bit as i found that the touching the flag didn't always register properly meaning i had to press on it a few times.

Over all the DS works very well for this type of game as it's like having a mouse and gives you quick and precise actions for clicking objects.

There are a lot of materials in the game and it is pretty heavy on the resource management side but not so much that it should put you off, I'd say this is more a game for people that like titles like Sim City or just building up a civilization.

Maps aren't really that portable friendly as some take 3-5 hours to play through but there is the option to save at any time so you can always pick up where you left off later on. An issue that I do have is that saving the game can take up to a minute, that's a pretty long time when you are in a rush and probably mean you'll just end up closing the DS to put it on standby if you don't have time.

If you have ever played a Settlers game or love RTS style games this is the one you need for your DS.
Fri 20/07/07 at 17:31
"possibly impossible"
Sort of importing *cough*
Fri 20/07/07 at 16:47
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I didn't know the DS version was out yet in this country. Did you guys import it?

I like the Settlers series. It's very relaxing and although the series is on a bit of decline, I don't mind the newer ones. I'm not sure about The Settlers: Rise of an Empire at the moment. I've seen a few videos but apart from some stunning visuals, nothing has really drawn me in yet.
Thu 19/07/07 at 22:05
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I've just been playing settlers 5 gold. The series has fallen a long way, generic RTS with a few RPG-ish elements thrown in. And all the charm of settlers 1 and 2 is long gone.
Thu 19/07/07 at 21:50
Regular
"Captain to you."
Thanks

I had such a big gap in my settlers playing, but it felt so good to pick up again and everything was just how i left it, if you get what i mean.

I think i might have played one of the newer versions on the PC but i don't think i took to it as much as the old Settlers 2 on the Amiga. I am glad the DS is so true to the game and although it's not a new game i did kind of expect them to cut it down a bit.
Thu 19/07/07 at 21:08
"possibly impossible"
Settlers = one of the best games ever. Had it on Amiga, then Settlers II on PC, which was the series high point (and which this pretty much mirrors). Still occassionally play the PC one and now I have the DS one as well, portable Settlers, fantastic!

Nice Review {presses the button to recommend for GAD)
Sat 14/07/07 at 23:07
Regular
"Captain to you."
I woke up the other day and thought to myself “I wish I had a game with Amiga graphics and game play for my DS”, later that day I got Settlers. (I didn't really wake up thinking that, it was probably “what time is it”)

Many moons ago, far too many for me to bother counting I used to love, and I mean LOVE settlers on my Amiga i must have spent so much time playing it as a nipper. So when I found out that you could get it on the DS and it was just the same I jumped in to action.

Graphically it is Settlers, it's sprites all over the place building houses, fortresses and farms, you'll have hundreds of little men ferrying materials and goods up and down your town's roads dropping them at flags and running back to get more.

Your main objective is to settle a town on various maps, some will just require that you expand and progress through all the buildings and upgrades. Other maps will have other nations trying to settle on the same map, this will require that you take over and defeat their settlement and army.

The attacking side of the game isn't quite as straight forward as modern day RTS games you can't just select troops and march them off, you first have to make sure you have the food and money to keep your troops and only then can you send some off, and only if you have discovered the enemy's territory and have a border touching theirs.

The great thing about Settlers is that it goes just a little bit further with resources as most of the buildings you will create are to supply materials and food to other buildings.

Some examples of this is that you need a Woodcutter to chop down trees in your territory, then the logs need to be processed by the Sawmill and then the planks can be used in all buildings. But at some point you will start to run out of trees, so you need to get a Forester to plant new trees.

The game is often a balance of having enough trees to chop down and not plant so many that it restricts you from building in areas that you need to.

When you place a building block(where the building is going to get built) there is also a short path and flag placed at the end of it, you must then connect that flag to other flags in your town to form roads for your men to travel on. This is the one part of the game that could have been improved a bit as i found that the touching the flag didn't always register properly meaning i had to press on it a few times.

Over all the DS works very well for this type of game as it's like having a mouse and gives you quick and precise actions for clicking objects.

There are a lot of materials in the game and it is pretty heavy on the resource management side but not so much that it should put you off, I'd say this is more a game for people that like titles like Sim City or just building up a civilization.

Maps aren't really that portable friendly as some take 3-5 hours to play through but there is the option to save at any time so you can always pick up where you left off later on. An issue that I do have is that saving the game can take up to a minute, that's a pretty long time when you are in a rush and probably mean you'll just end up closing the DS to put it on standby if you don't have time.

If you have ever played a Settlers game or love RTS style games this is the one you need for your DS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.