GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hmm."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 23:09
Regular
I just had my first proper XBox 'session', at my mates house. Before, I'd played it in dribs and drabs, completing Halo and messing about on Splinter Cell a lot. However, I'd never played it like I played my Cube, with games like Mario Sunshine.

I played a lot. I did a 2-player co-op on Halo, but we got very bored very quickly, then i did some single player stuff, on my file. All I did was go through the levels, doing it like normal. Now, many of you know my thoughts on Halo, and lets just say it really confirmed them for me in stone. Then i went on Splinter Cell (again) messed around, knocked out a few guards. Then Enclave. Less said the better. Then I went on his demo discs. I played Phantom Crash, Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, House Of The Dead III, Vexx, Indiana Jones + The Emperors Tomb, and watched the Halo II vid.

Now, after all that, I really can't but help feel underwhelmed. I know you all love Halo, and I don't, so I won't go into that. I like Splinter Cell, so that was good, but a little dull, to be honest. Enclave was just plain bad. Demos (only demos I know, but still an indication of a games worth) were just plain poor. All these games that I've heard you praise, I really found very dull (WITH NO BIAS AT ALL). Phantom Crash was repetitive rubbish, and Panzer Dragoon Orta in particular was very dissaponting. Shenmue II was just plain boring, realistic maybe, but incredibly slow, House Of The Dead III was insanely dull after the first 5 zombies, and the Halo II vid (while not revealing much, I know) was also a little underwhelming. I enjoyed Vexx (getting it on Cube now) and Indy. That Indy game rules.

I'm just saying these things because I properly looked at several future release titles, and found them to be pretty crud. I know they are only demos, but a demo NORMALY provides you with a good indication of what a game is like and how good it will be. From these demos, I wouldn't touch Shenmue II, HOTD III, PDO and Phantom Crash without the aid of a very long barge pole. And I know there are loads of good XBox titles on the way.

*please note. This is not an anti XBox post. I'm just saying SOME of the big titles on the way/out now seem a little......rubbish. To me. To you, they may rule. But to me, my first long XBox play (i.e several hours) was simply very dissapointing*

*runs away*
Fri 07/03/03 at 19:18
Regular
"Unretired"
Maverick42 wrote:
> ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
> Maybe this isnt the right thread to post this but i'm slowly tiring
> of
> gaming... Just slowly losing interest... *Yawns*
>
> You just wait until games such as Metroid Prime, Zelda, Fable and BC
> hit the shelves. You'll be kicking yourself for that remark.

Eek fable! I forgot!

Wake me up when its out! *Sleeps*
Fri 07/03/03 at 19:14
Regular
ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
> Maybe this isnt the right thread to post this but i'm slowly tiring of
> gaming... Just slowly losing interest... *Yawns*

You just wait until games such as Metroid Prime, Zelda, Fable and BC hit the shelves. You'll be kicking yourself for that remark.
Fri 07/03/03 at 19:11
Regular
"Unretired"
Maybe this isnt the right thread to post this but i'm slowly tiring of gaming... Just slowly losing interest... *Yawns*
Thu 06/03/03 at 19:31
Regular
Hey, I get best of both worlds :)

I own an Xbox and a GC, I rate them highly, Very highly.

Halo is awesome, Some people may not like it, but I love it!
Wed 05/03/03 at 23:29
Regular
Here's my opinion on what I've played...extensively:

Halo: Nothing special, just a tarted up version of Half Life with levels.

Shenmue II (DC): Definately an aqquired taste, or in English, a load of boring walking around in different chinese places, speaking to people in Japanese and lots of 'fun' activities such as carrying crates from one end of a sector to another, and placing books on tables outside.
Wed 05/03/03 at 21:49
Regular
Shenmue is very much an aquired taste.

I aquired the taste and thought it was an amazing game, never played the sequel though. If the 3rd game happened to be released exclusively on XBox then that might be the deciding factor on whether I get an Xbox or not.
Wed 05/03/03 at 20:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yep.

The fact is I'd rather play a slightly-above-average but fun 3-D free game than an (apparently) excellent on-rails shooter.

GC for me.

:)
Wed 05/03/03 at 20:05
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I can see why the GC is your console of choice, xbox games just don't do it for you.

I'd play Halo, PDO, Shenmue 2 quicker than I would play Vexx. But then I'm not you.

And what is it with Indy? EVERYONE like it from what I've heard. I think its good, but the praise some of you people give it...
Wed 05/03/03 at 19:32
Regular
Evidently, in that final paragraph it should be:

'..planned and unavailable on GAMECUBE..'

Nutcase :D.
Wed 05/03/03 at 19:31
Regular
Shenmue II isn't brilliant - but it's a game that you'll have to get into, like the first one, to truly appreciate. I thought Panzer Dragoon was pretty good actually - great fun, but I may not get it as I was disappointed with it's shallowness. The different dragons idea is nice, though. I hope Dead Pheonix will be similar, but with much more depth.

To be fair, you didn't really play the best games on, or planned for the X-Box there. When I get mine later this year, I'll be getting Morrowind with it. At the moment, it's the only game I can actually see that's worth getting, but that's probably a good thing. You see, after enjoying it round a friend's house - it's obvious that it's a stunningly huge, free and deep game that you'll devote a hell of a lot of time to - just how I like it. To put it simply, Morrowind's amazing.

The future is a lot brighter than the current, lacklustre (in my opinion) line up though. Games like Star Wars: KOTOR & Galaxies, Fable, BC, Deus Ex 2 are all planned and unavailable on X-Box. There are others too, but these games are bound to be so huge, they might be the only ones you need to get. Take a longer look at the games I've mentioned, and because I agree on most of the points you've made in this thread, you may agree with me and change your mind :D.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.