GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problems with CHMODing on images"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/11/11 at 22:43
Regular
"We are not alone..."
I firstly want to specify that I am not getting problems whilst using FTP uploads with Cute FTP 8 professional.

My issue seems to be related to running Joomla 1.5.XX on Freeola free account. I have been using Joomla based websites for about 3 years now and have NEVER encountered this error before may of 2010.

The installations themselves run without issue and are completely stable, however the problem becomes apparent when I install modules and plug-ins.

For example I upload a simple thumbnail gallery script that displays folders of images stored in the Joomla image/stories folder, the script simply displays whatever is in the specified folder.

Now if i install the script into ANY Joomla site that is NOT hosted on Freeola, the script works without issue and is very effective.

BUT and a BIG BUT, the script will NOT display any images including the scripts own logo because the images that are installed using the Joomla installer are CHMODed to 600 but reuire 644 to display the images/logo.

This problem with CHMODed files only occurs on Freeola based installations, I have successfully installed many versions of Joomla onto at least 10 different hosting companies, and have never had a problem only with Freeola servers.

MY QUESTION IS: HOW COME?
What has been changed at Freeola that is changing the permissions of files uploaded with Joomla installer.?

A very frustrating problem that Freeola support insist that is down to Joomla, how can it be if the issue is ONLY apparent on Freeola servers.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for any answers in advance....
Fri 04/11/11 at 11:11
Staff
Systems did not see any problems, so they've updated the config. If anyone still experiences this issue, please let us know (preferably by support ticket) and we can look further into it.
Wed 02/11/11 at 15:47
Staff
Looks like suphp controls the umask, I'll pop a ticket on to systems to see if there is a reason not to set a higher default (ie 644) and see what they say (Don't see any security implications myself, but not really my area of expertise). In the meantime though, if Puniksem advises some details of the script (either ticket us or via chat) I'm pretty sure it would be straightforward to add a chmod after the file is written.
Wed 02/11/11 at 14:20
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It sounds like a umask issue to be honest. Pretty sure Joomla fixes its own permissions when it installs, wouldnt be so certain that third party components do the same.

ncrs wrote:
If its any help I did a quick install of the latest version of Joomla onto the server that you are on, and was able to upload images via Joomla and use them without any changes or tweaks being neccessary.

The problem is, the latest version is 1.7. Theres no upgrade path from 1.5 to 1.7. The only option is a third party migrator which wont transfer all the data and components hes using wont necessarily be compatible. So if hes on 1.5, hes stuck there I suspect.
Wed 02/11/11 at 10:54
Staff
Not aware of any changes being made to the Freeola free servers in this regard, though they were upgraded earlier this year to new boxes and up to date PHP and OS.

Have you had a look at this post on the Joomla official forum

Chmodding files

Looks like this problem cropped up in 2010, but seems to have been resolved (as I can't find more recent references). Have you tried updating your Joomla version?

If its any help I did a quick install of the latest version of Joomla onto the server that you are on, and was able to upload images via Joomla and use them without any changes or tweaks being neccessary.
Wed 02/11/11 at 09:05
"Are you sure?"
Puniksem™ wrote:
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for any answers in advance....

I'm not a Joomla user so I'm not much help but others here are so hopefully they might reply.

The only thing I can think of is the Freeola PHP upgrades that were carried out in May tie in nicely with your problems - looking back through the posts in May this caused a couple of hiccups so perhaps also affected Joomla?

Freeola still mention a PHP4 configuration but clicking the link shows v5.3.6 so I'm not sure you can still fall back to v4?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 01/11/11 at 22:43
Regular
"We are not alone..."
I firstly want to specify that I am not getting problems whilst using FTP uploads with Cute FTP 8 professional.

My issue seems to be related to running Joomla 1.5.XX on Freeola free account. I have been using Joomla based websites for about 3 years now and have NEVER encountered this error before may of 2010.

The installations themselves run without issue and are completely stable, however the problem becomes apparent when I install modules and plug-ins.

For example I upload a simple thumbnail gallery script that displays folders of images stored in the Joomla image/stories folder, the script simply displays whatever is in the specified folder.

Now if i install the script into ANY Joomla site that is NOT hosted on Freeola, the script works without issue and is very effective.

BUT and a BIG BUT, the script will NOT display any images including the scripts own logo because the images that are installed using the Joomla installer are CHMODed to 600 but reuire 644 to display the images/logo.

This problem with CHMODed files only occurs on Freeola based installations, I have successfully installed many versions of Joomla onto at least 10 different hosting companies, and have never had a problem only with Freeola servers.

MY QUESTION IS: HOW COME?
What has been changed at Freeola that is changing the permissions of files uploaded with Joomla installer.?

A very frustrating problem that Freeola support insist that is down to Joomla, how can it be if the issue is ONLY apparent on Freeola servers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.