GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How much money?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/12/01 at 19:11
Regular
Imagine I go into my local game store, and swap a game I've finished for a new one. Say it's a PS2 game, both £40 new, and I get £20 trade for the old one. (all hypothetical numbers).

So I'm getting a new game for £20- right?

Well, I've never actually thought of how much money shops get from second hand games, but this is how I see it...

They buy my old game off my for £20, and then go on to sell it at £27 (say). £7 in the bag.

Then I buy a game off them with the £20 they've given me, and an extra £20. Remeber that the retailers make the most profit out of games, so they've just made more profit out of me. £10 say.

So, had I just bought the game, they would have made £10... but by swapping, I've let them get £17.

Does that annoy anyone as much as it annoys me? Especially seeing as you paid £40 for the game you've let them get a second lot of profit from!

I've got to start swapping games with friends!

Sonic
Tue 25/12/01 at 22:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
MonkeyFish wrote:
> I've got enough cash to buy any games I like.

Sorry, just thought like
> mentioning that.

errrrrrrr....

Either:

Spoilt brat
Working person who likes to show off money
Very drunk

Sonic
Merry Christmas!
Tue 25/12/01 at 22:36
Regular
I've got enough cash to buy any games I like.

Sorry, just thought like mentioning that.
Tue 25/12/01 at 22:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
slik wrote:
> I would'nt know cos i don't see the point in trading in old games as I never buy
> cack ones, not that i'm implying anything.
slik ~_~

Well, just because I trade games, doesn't mean they're cack! Either they don't have much replay (like GTA3) or I need money for mew games!

Sonic
Tue 25/12/01 at 17:10
Regular
"DS..."
I would'nt know cos i don't see the point in trading in old games as I never buy cack ones, not that i'm implying anything.
slik ~_~
Tue 25/12/01 at 09:45
I agree ihad to sell things that I used to love. Like I sold DMC after I beat it about ten times and now I want it back.
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:40
Regular
Hmmm, i havnt really touched GTA3 since i completed the main body of the game either. Same with a lot of my PS2 games, same goes for my N64 as well.

Could never sell hem though, i remember how sad i felt a little while after i sold my SNES about 5 years ago. Never again...never again do i want to feel that pain. Thing is though, i'm running ou of space to store all these consoles!
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:33
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, using my example of GTA3...

Once I'd completed it, what more could I do... I could do every rampage properly, and every mission... but WHY? I'd completed my task.

Maybe in a few years I'd think "oooo let's play again", BUT by then the game will seem dated, or a sequal will be out...

Some games do have really long lasting appeal- Zelda OTT and Goldeneye are games I could play again and again (Goldeneye thanks to the multiplay!)

Sonic
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:08
Regular
I don't think there's any game where you wont feel bored of playing once you've completed it.

After a bit of time though, you may feel like playing it again....I've started playing Pokémon Gold on Game Boy for the first time in ages!
Mon 24/12/01 at 21:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Talkie Toaster wrote:
> i never trade my old games as i only buy games that i know i will always want to
> play and will never get board of.

Well, you're lukcy that you can find games like this! Since I've bought my PS2, not one game I've bought lends any appeal after I've completed it. For example, GTA3, Agent under fire and ZOE are all great games, but once you've completed them why play anymore!?

Sonic
Mon 24/12/01 at 20:23
Regular
"always swirling"
i never trade my old games as i only buy games that i know i will always want to play and will never get board of.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.