GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Resistance 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resistance 3'.
Wed 12/10/11 at 15:41
Regular
"And in last place.."
“My name is David and I’m a first person shooter addict”. This is something I could have easily stood up and declared at any point during the last 2 or 3 years. But as of late I’ve become bored of the genre. I’ve overdosed and my interest has steadily dipped with each one I complete.

As such, I had no interest in Resistance 3. I read the reviews. I watched the videos. But my curiosity was not to be awoken. Fate played a helping hand and gave my PS3 the dreaded YLOD. The replacement came bundled with Resistance 3 and it would have been rude not to at least try it out, especially since buying the new console means I’ll not be buying any games for a while. In hindsight, the big dark cloud that was the YLOD turned out to have quite the silver lining.

Resistance 3 starts off right at the end of the last game. The intro sequence will fill the gaps for those new to the series and serve as a reminder for veterans. You are in control of Joe Capelli, the most unpopular man on earth. Fortunately for him, there isn’t much left of the human race so the level of hate isn’t as intense as it could be. Resistance 3 starts off where the last game ended. Nathan Hale saves the human race and then promptly gets bumped off by the man you will now be controlling. Of course, Nathan was infected with the chimera virus and had no hope of survival anyway so Joe was placed in an impossible situation. To cut a short story shorter, Joe gets kicked out the army, meets a woman, settles down, has a family and lives happily ever after.

Or at least lives relatively happy until now. Joe’s relatively tranquil lifestyle is turned upside down and he finds himself on a quest to be the next person to save humanity. And no doubt, all the time he hopes there isn’t someone like himself waiting to congratulate him if he succeeds.

Insomiac hasn’t just turned out a run of the mill sequel. There is no place in this game for a ‘been there, done that, seen it all before’ feeling. Variety is the spice of life and this is one spicy meatball. This game contains all the imagination and creativity sadly lacking from too many of the shooters which lead to my feelings outlined in the opening paragraph.

Resistance 3 doesn’t try to be part of the In crowd. You won’t be propping yourself against cover peaking out to survey the land. You will have to find health packs to recover, no sitting around waiting. Dated some may say but who cares about staying modern when the game plays this well?

The game plays out as Joe travels to New York to put an end to the Chimera invasion. No two locations will ever feel the same and seldom will you expect what is thrown at you. It is a journey for Joe and for the player. You will find yourself exposed in large open areas, carefully working your way through tight corridors. On the surface or underground. On foot or on transport. It sets a benchmark for variety.

The enemy seems to have been given an injection of variety too with various species of Chimera all sharing the same goal of killing you on sight. At times guns blazing will serve you well, at other times you’ll need to adopt some strategy. And at times the enemy will force your hand as they storm right at you. The enemy approach is as mixed as your own. The new zombie like creatures will charge at you and overrun you easily making for some frantic dashing in the opposite direction. Others will be more mindful of their tactics. The highly accurate snipers leave you no doubt as to you to how approach some of the exposed areas. The Chimera always come out to play in numbers and many areas leave you with a sense of satisfaction as you progress though unscathed.

The guns are every bit as vital to the success of this game as the variety. There simply isn’t a duff weapon to be found. All weapons come with primary and secondary fire and at least one type is always a pleasure to use. Take the magnum for instance. Primary fire is as expected, powerful at short range but much slower than an automatic weapon. It’s not the sort of weapon you want to use when face with a group of enemies. Or is it? A quick press of the secondary fire button and you’ll find the bullets you have fired suddenly detonate. The variety certainly spills into the weapon offering, there are pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, freezing guns, shotguns and more besides. Each weapon is worthwhile and the strength and weaknesses allow some thought to be put into your approach to the forthcoming area and presents some options. There is a selection of grenade and projectile accessories to top things off.

Weapons can be levelled up as you use them. The indicators let you know how far up the level you have progressed. Each of the 3 levels unlocks extra abilities on each weapon and is certainly worth doing. You won’t be maxing out every weapon on a single play through but subsequent play throughs allow you to maintain the current level of each weapon.

The human race is on the brink of being wiped out. Earth is a mess of ruin and destruction and the environments can be quite atmospheric and certainly give the impression of the dire state. Graphically the game impresses and getting caught in amongst some of the destructive carnage that goes on can be quite spectacular.

The ability to play the campaign in split screen on online multiplayer is available. The online aspect of this seems to be for invite only which is unfortunate.

The standard online modes like Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch are available and quite popular. It’s not likely to pull anyway away from Call of Duty but deep down they play pretty similarly. The new comer is going to find it tough going as they are without a lot of the better perks that more experienced players have. There are 2 new maps being released and some DLC with a new online mode so Insomniac seem to be keen to keep people playing online.

Overall, Resistance 3 is a joy to play. It’s a journey through the creative minds of some talented designers. It might not have cured my apathy towards shooters but it did an exceptional job of illustrating that I’m not finished with them yet. An excellent game which deserves more of the fanfare a certain other shooter with 3 at the end of the title gets from xbox owners.
Fri 14/10/11 at 08:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yeah I guess the let down fan in me detracts from the overall enjoyment. A fun and not badly done game though for anyone reading, still worth it.

If they cut out the length of the boat bit, and the beginning bits it would go a long way to appeasing me >_<

Superhuman? Well the first game really was just that, the second one was frustrating but not really "hard".

The 3rd one is a different calibre. It raises the bar somewhat, and will often leave you thinking "Where the bejeebus did that come from?"

However, at the same time, the checkpoints are frequent enough that trial and persistence will get you through most of the bits. And you can also get the trophy for doing 2P campaign. I'm not sure if the 2P takes account of the extra firepower, but it's just more fun tbh.
Thu 13/10/11 at 17:21
Regular
"And in last place.."
Interesting comments Warhunt.

I never played R1, borrowed R2 and thought it was ok so I've not come into this one as a fan and also expecting to be bored by it. Perhaps that was the key to it all. I went into Gears 3 as a fan and called it a day (for now) after Act 2 as it just wasn't doing it for me.

How tough is it on Superhuman? I've started going back through on easy just to bump up those remaining weapons to level 3.
Thu 13/10/11 at 14:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Nice review. I have been a massive fan of Res series since it was the first game I played on the PS3 (it was bundled on the release day packages).

This game felt rather dull to me. I was so excited, and I felt it didn't really deliver. I enjoyed it yes, but it was more of "meh" overall.

The levelling up guns was a new gimmick, but never really felt more than that. It didn't make any significant difference to the game, even on superhuman.

The game did do the whole "use this gun for best effects" rather well, but so much so that levelling the guns really didn't matter. If I only rarely used the cryogun, it was still more helpful than a level 3 bullseye for example.

Lots of fun weapons, including secondary fire is what earned this game the brownie points for me. A mediocre story (at best) was a slap in face, clearly intended to explain nothing of the overall story to the fanbase to keep them clawing for the next sequel.

The lack of co-op online (this feature alone kept Res2 from flopping like [free] Willy after jumping over that wall) features was also shocking, until you realise that they intend to release this as DLC. Oh dear........... my cheeks are rather red by this point, from heat and being slapped.

Saying this, I just can't bring myself not to like it >_< There is something fun there. Mainly blowing up aliens with unlimited rocket launcher rounds atm though :D
Wed 12/10/11 at 15:41
Regular
"And in last place.."
“My name is David and I’m a first person shooter addict”. This is something I could have easily stood up and declared at any point during the last 2 or 3 years. But as of late I’ve become bored of the genre. I’ve overdosed and my interest has steadily dipped with each one I complete.

As such, I had no interest in Resistance 3. I read the reviews. I watched the videos. But my curiosity was not to be awoken. Fate played a helping hand and gave my PS3 the dreaded YLOD. The replacement came bundled with Resistance 3 and it would have been rude not to at least try it out, especially since buying the new console means I’ll not be buying any games for a while. In hindsight, the big dark cloud that was the YLOD turned out to have quite the silver lining.

Resistance 3 starts off right at the end of the last game. The intro sequence will fill the gaps for those new to the series and serve as a reminder for veterans. You are in control of Joe Capelli, the most unpopular man on earth. Fortunately for him, there isn’t much left of the human race so the level of hate isn’t as intense as it could be. Resistance 3 starts off where the last game ended. Nathan Hale saves the human race and then promptly gets bumped off by the man you will now be controlling. Of course, Nathan was infected with the chimera virus and had no hope of survival anyway so Joe was placed in an impossible situation. To cut a short story shorter, Joe gets kicked out the army, meets a woman, settles down, has a family and lives happily ever after.

Or at least lives relatively happy until now. Joe’s relatively tranquil lifestyle is turned upside down and he finds himself on a quest to be the next person to save humanity. And no doubt, all the time he hopes there isn’t someone like himself waiting to congratulate him if he succeeds.

Insomiac hasn’t just turned out a run of the mill sequel. There is no place in this game for a ‘been there, done that, seen it all before’ feeling. Variety is the spice of life and this is one spicy meatball. This game contains all the imagination and creativity sadly lacking from too many of the shooters which lead to my feelings outlined in the opening paragraph.

Resistance 3 doesn’t try to be part of the In crowd. You won’t be propping yourself against cover peaking out to survey the land. You will have to find health packs to recover, no sitting around waiting. Dated some may say but who cares about staying modern when the game plays this well?

The game plays out as Joe travels to New York to put an end to the Chimera invasion. No two locations will ever feel the same and seldom will you expect what is thrown at you. It is a journey for Joe and for the player. You will find yourself exposed in large open areas, carefully working your way through tight corridors. On the surface or underground. On foot or on transport. It sets a benchmark for variety.

The enemy seems to have been given an injection of variety too with various species of Chimera all sharing the same goal of killing you on sight. At times guns blazing will serve you well, at other times you’ll need to adopt some strategy. And at times the enemy will force your hand as they storm right at you. The enemy approach is as mixed as your own. The new zombie like creatures will charge at you and overrun you easily making for some frantic dashing in the opposite direction. Others will be more mindful of their tactics. The highly accurate snipers leave you no doubt as to you to how approach some of the exposed areas. The Chimera always come out to play in numbers and many areas leave you with a sense of satisfaction as you progress though unscathed.

The guns are every bit as vital to the success of this game as the variety. There simply isn’t a duff weapon to be found. All weapons come with primary and secondary fire and at least one type is always a pleasure to use. Take the magnum for instance. Primary fire is as expected, powerful at short range but much slower than an automatic weapon. It’s not the sort of weapon you want to use when face with a group of enemies. Or is it? A quick press of the secondary fire button and you’ll find the bullets you have fired suddenly detonate. The variety certainly spills into the weapon offering, there are pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, freezing guns, shotguns and more besides. Each weapon is worthwhile and the strength and weaknesses allow some thought to be put into your approach to the forthcoming area and presents some options. There is a selection of grenade and projectile accessories to top things off.

Weapons can be levelled up as you use them. The indicators let you know how far up the level you have progressed. Each of the 3 levels unlocks extra abilities on each weapon and is certainly worth doing. You won’t be maxing out every weapon on a single play through but subsequent play throughs allow you to maintain the current level of each weapon.

The human race is on the brink of being wiped out. Earth is a mess of ruin and destruction and the environments can be quite atmospheric and certainly give the impression of the dire state. Graphically the game impresses and getting caught in amongst some of the destructive carnage that goes on can be quite spectacular.

The ability to play the campaign in split screen on online multiplayer is available. The online aspect of this seems to be for invite only which is unfortunate.

The standard online modes like Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch are available and quite popular. It’s not likely to pull anyway away from Call of Duty but deep down they play pretty similarly. The new comer is going to find it tough going as they are without a lot of the better perks that more experienced players have. There are 2 new maps being released and some DLC with a new online mode so Insomniac seem to be keen to keep people playing online.

Overall, Resistance 3 is a joy to play. It’s a journey through the creative minds of some talented designers. It might not have cured my apathy towards shooters but it did an exceptional job of illustrating that I’m not finished with them yet. An excellent game which deserves more of the fanfare a certain other shooter with 3 at the end of the title gets from xbox owners.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.