GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Webmaster Utilities, Tools & Tips! - Mostly by Hmmm..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/07/07 at 15:55
"Are you sure?"
Here are a couple of simple but effective tips I use day-to-day. If you have some similar nuggets why not post them here...

Google ‘counter’

So you’re are working away on your search engine placement and you can now see your site in the search results. But you are quite a long way down the page (you’ve set your Google preferences to show you 100 results at a time) and would like to know exactly what number you are in the results – without having to manually count your way down!

All you need to do is add this bit of code to a bookmark/favourite in your browser:

javascript:var p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');var j=1;function gc(){for(i=0;i<p.length;i++)* SPACE*{if(p[* SPACE*i].className=='g'){p[i* SPACE*].innerHTML=j+'. '+p[* SPACE*i].innerHTML;j++;}};};gc();

In IE on the ‘general’ tab give it a meaningful name – ‘Google Counter’ for example. On the ‘Web Document’ tab past the above code for the URL field.

Tip: The easiest way to do this is to create a favourite for any old site, and then modify the entry using the info above.

To use it, simply perform a search in Google then use the ‘Favourite’ you’ve just created and all the entries will be renumbered for you.
If you visit your site first then your pages will be highlighted in the list making them easier to spot.

Web page ‘last modified’ date and time

Ever viewed a web page and wondered when it was last updated? Well this tip will display the date and time for you! (NB. This only works on standard HTML pages, non-HTML pages will return the current data/time – but it still comes in very handy.)

The command is set up and run in the same way as the Google Counter above.
This time create a ‘Favourite’ with the title ‘Last modified’ and then paste this code in the URL/address field:

javascript:alert* SPACE*(document.lastModified)

Now when you’re viewing a page simply use the ‘Favourite’ and the date and time will be displayed (American format) in a popup box.

Remove * SPACE* in your code - added to allow forum post!

As the code is rather hard to read with all the "* SPACE*" added to allow the code to be posted, I've also put the code here:
www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/tips

7/11/2008
Changed the Google script above.
The Google results format has changed: 'DIV' > 'li'.
Changing the script to '*' seems to work with both formats.

Hope you like them...
Wed 05/11/08 at 11:53
"Are you sure?"
Thought I would add another 'tip' to my thread seeing as there's a 'hints and tips' challenge on the go, and Jubba probably hasn't seen all my hard work...

I recently pasted this tip as a reply to message over in General Chat but thought I would add it here to make it easier to find.

Dealing with the GoogleMail SPAM folder

Rather than have to manually delete emails from your GMail SPAM folder you can set up a filter to delete all spam automatically.

I'm happy to delete all the GMail spam without checking it as Google seems to be very accurate filtering spam, but my GMail account does receive a lot which can be annoying as the spam folder is always highlighted as having received 'new mail'.

If you want to be able to manually check through all the spam before deleting then this won't suit you...

In you GMail account follow these options:
Settings > Filters > Create New Filter

Set up a filter with is:spam in the 'Has the words' field. Click 'next' and then 'ok' to the warning message that will be displayed.

Set 'Delete it' as the action.

Now you will never see another GMail SPAM email... :¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 11/12/07 at 21:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
HashTab

Windows users can install HashTab, which will add an additional tab to the file properties dialog box and show the checksum (such as MD5) values of said file, which you can then use to verify the download (if the value is provided on the web site you obtained the download from) or for when you upload downloads to your own web site.
Sun 09/12/07 at 17:34
"Are you sure?"
IE7PRO

As someone that prefers IE to FF, I've recently found and started to use an Internet Explorer addon called IE7PRO.

It has numerous features that FF and Opera users will be already used to - Spell Checking, Mouse Gestures, Open last closed Tab, Crash Recovery, Drag and Drop, and lots more...

The mouse gestures to page 'back' and 'forward' are already second nature. Right hand click and drag either to the left or right.

I can recommend it.
If you've found something you like why not let everyone know...

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 22/11/07 at 13:40
"Are you sure?"
Some self promotion I'm afraid...

Mapping Coordinates - finding Longitude/Latitude

Frustrated trying to find accurate coordinates to use in Google or Microsoft map 'mashups' I created my own page that displays the exact longitude and latitude for any place/building.

www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/longitude-latitude

You can zoom and drag the map to your chosen destination - down to building level for most of the UK (change the view to aerial or hybrid as required) clicking on the map displays the coordinates which you can then use on your 'mashup' or GPS system etc.

Hope it's of use to someone out there...
Mon 29/10/07 at 12:12
"Are you sure?"
Time for another...

CookieJar - how to deal with your IE Cookies...

Retaining some Cookies can be useful - remembering search preferences in Google, Local weather/news from the BBC, chosen TV channels from radiotimes, etc. etc.
But as many websites use them for numerous other purposes I like to clear mine out automatically and just save the ones I need.

CookieJar also lets you display the Cookies on your PC - is surprising how quick they accumulate!

If you use Internet Explorer then this simple program can automatically manage your browser Cookies. Just put the Cookies you want to keep in your 'Allowed Cookie Jar' and select the options to delete both 'Banned and Undecided Cookies on Windows startup' - and it will then look after itself.

This is a very old utility - I've been using it for over 6 years now, and it's no longer supported - but it just keeps on working. You can download it from: www.jasons-toolbox.com

No doubt there are more recent applications doing similar jobs - perhaps you should think about managing your Cookies...

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 10/09/07 at 08:49
"Are you sure?"
cjh wrote:
> How does it compaire to the ruler's included in the Web Developer
> toolbars for IE and firefox?

Much better...
Sorry I should have said - it's not browser dependant or a browser application.

It runs as a stand alone program so you can measure anything on your screen, not just within a browser - any application.

So you can be viewing a photo and want to measure part of a building etc. Move it down to the System Tray to check the size of an icon etc. I also use it in Macromedia Fireworks as it's nicer to use than the rules and guides that come supplied.

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 09/09/07 at 19:10
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
How does it compaire to the ruler's included in the Web Developer toolbars for IE and firefox?
Sun 09/09/07 at 17:26
"Are you sure?"
Pixel Ruler
Yet another must have!...

A 'Pixel Ruler' is another tool every web designer should have in their toolkit.

I use a free application from Mioplan, which does everything I want. A Pixel Ruler comes in handy when you are working with a new layout or trying to work out how someone else has put a site together.

Have you ever held up a normal ruler to your monitor to see if something is central?
Well a Pixel Ruler is just a virtual ruler that you can use on your PC as you would a physical one in 'real life' - but more accurate.

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 29/08/07 at 11:40
"Are you sure?"
Browser Keyboard Shortcuts - Suffix
Here's another couple of useful keyboard tips...

In Internet Explorer and Firefox if you type a name in the address bar and then press CTRL+ENTER by default a WWW prefix and .COM suffix will be added - which is rather useful.

You can also use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and this will add a different suffix. In IE it adds .NET and FF is adds .ORG
(In FF SHIFT+ENTER adds .NET)

I mostly use IE (unfashionable I know - but it suits me!) and this is how I have things setup:

CTRL+ENTER adds the default .COM to any word in the address bar.
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER adds .CO.UK

You change the default behaviour of CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER by going to:
TOOLS >INTERNET OPTIONS >LANGUAGES where you are able to change the suffix to whatever you like. A CO.UK seems more useful for those in the UK.

In FF you and change the default behaviour of CTRL+ENTER but as far as I can find, not CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER which is a shame (and surprising). If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

To change the default suffix type ABOUT:CONFIG in the address bar. Then scroll down to: browser.fixup.alternate.suffix
By double clicking this you can change the default .COM

Happy browsing...

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 21/08/07 at 18:14
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Wow SyncBackup could be very handy. Just trying it out here for my weekly backup. I'm going to try and get it to work with MozBackup, which backs up all you Thunderbird mail and setting and also all your Firefox stuff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.