GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mainstream Domination"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/12/01 at 16:05
Regular
Now, I *think* most of us here can be classed as hardcore gamers, or softcore... Whatever, we all play games quite regularly.

I’ve been playing games since I was 3 years old, that’s for 9 years. I consider myself to be well versed in the gaming world and on the whole I know what I’m talking about. I don’t know every in and out because I’m not that obsessed, but I know a fair bit.

One thing that really annoys me though is casual gamers. Fair enough, if you only play games semi-regularly because it doesn’t interest you *that* much, that’s fine, I have no problem with that. What really gets under my skin though, is casual gamers who think they know what they’re talking about.

I was having a conversation with my friend the other day and he asked me what console I was going to get next. I replied the GameCube because it’s got the style of games I’m after and I consider Nintendo to be the best developers in the gaming world. I then asked him the same question. " X-Box" he replied. I asked him why and he said because it had the best games on it and that it was big so that meant it was more powerful and had better graphics.

Now this really, really, REALLY ticked me off. He said that it had the best games, how the hell did he know that? He’d never played them and had probably never even taken the slightest bit of interest in the architecture of the machine. And the answer "It’s big so it’ll have better graphics" annoyed me for two reasons.

1) Size is nothing in the world, let alone the gaming world
2) Better graphics? Does that really matter? Is that what you look for in a game? If so then I don’t think you should be allowed anywhere near women, mate.

Casual gamers surround me. Out of the 32 people in my form, 23 of them have consoles, 29 of them have PC’s/ iMacs and 1 of them is a proper gamer. And that’s me.

I hear them going on about the new game coming out and I join in on the conversation. "Why does that appeal to you?"
"Because it’s got wicked graphics and Sony make it"
ARGHHH!!

I’m not denying people the right to play games casually because everyone can choose what they want to do in there free time it’s just the fact that they have no knowledge of what they’re talking about but they think that they do.

It’s like me trying to talk about pop music. I have no knowledge of it so I’ll keep my nose out of it. I will not butt in to the conversation and say " Hear’Say are the best because Kim has nice baps plus there music is better than everyone else’s because they were on TV"

I’d be talking utter rubbish and be making a fool of myself. So why do casual gamers do it?

I really don’t know and I really wouldn’t care if they didn’t feel the need to strut up to me when I’m having a proper conversation about something only to be interrupted by someone talking utter simian excreta.

Like I said, I don’t care what there feelings are towards gaming, as long as they don’t masquerade as knowing everything there is to do about it and are of the unshakeable conviction that they are right.

Another thing that annoys me about casual gamers is how they’ve practically taken over the market.

There are so many games that have been released recently that are aimed solely towards casual gamers. The "Pick up and play" breed of games is becoming so much more common. PUAP games aren’t necessarily a bad thing, they’re awesome to have when you’ve got a friend coming over or something like that, because you can multiplay without needing a huge introduction to the game.

It’s also great when you have only a short time to play and you’re just doing it to kill a bit of time. If that’s the scenario then I have no problem with PUAP. But it’s the very fact that they are dominating the market, shoving out Adventure and Strategy games in favour of Racers and Beat ‘em Ups. I accept totally that Adventure and Strategy aren’t most peoples types of games. It’s fine for people to enjoy beat em ups and racers more than any other genre, but it’s just that so many of them are PUAP aimed solely towards casual gamers irritates me.

No longer is gaming a past time only for geeks and sociopaths, it’s becoming more mainstream. This is undoubtedly great for the industry, but like everything, it has its cons. And one of those cons is that they’re driving non-PUAP games out of the market. And that worries me, when something becomes so mainstream they forget about what got them their in the first place. Basically, the gaming world is selling out. It’s happening gradually, but it is happening.

RBS
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:39
Regular
nah.... I reviewed a game, a review of a DVD won.

That'll plaese you Stryke
Mon 24/12/01 at 17:25
Regular
Joe Dark wrote:
> and I didnt win for my review :(

If it was a DVD, don't be too shocked.
Mon 24/12/01 at 17:22
Regular
and I didnt win for my review :(
Mon 24/12/01 at 16:28
Regular
OH LOOK! All the discussion winners were game-based! Well slap my thigh and call me Charlie, I never thought I'd see that happen. Here's to you Chris, have a merry Christmas.

Stryke - Moans about film topics not winning
Mon 24/12/01 at 15:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Well Mr RastaWinerSkank congratulations.
A GAD for Christmas well done.
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
Joe Dark wrote:
> It's true what etila said

Hmmmm possibly. Sony aren't ENTIRELY to blame though.
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:12
Regular
It's true what etila said
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:03
Regular
"You've upset me"
etila wrote:
grrrrrr.... made of marzipan....cucumber
> sausages waho!

Errm... Quite.
Thu 20/12/01 at 22:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
And before the casual gamer, graphics came second to gameplay!

Sonic
Thu 20/12/01 at 22:35
Casual gamers all stem from one evil seed of destruction, SONY!
It is very hard to find large amounts of casual gamers with Sega or Nintendo consoles. OK so without the PSX gaming would be less popular and gaming would still be a long way from what it is now, due to there being less popularity meaning less demand and so on.

But I don't know that, nobody does oh dear... trailing off.
Casual gamers hate 'em... grrrrrr.... made of marzipan....cucumber sausages waho!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.