GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lacklustre PS2 Library?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/12/01 at 00:11
Regular
Owning an N64 at school was the hardest thing to do... in my heart, I knew the games were top, and I loved them, and played them to death... but after years of 'PSX is better because it just is' even I because curious of what SONY were doing...

After being able to avoid the PSX as best I could, I decided to go with Sony temporarily in round 2 with a PS2, and although my library of games is great and includes games of all of which own a 90%+ rating, the PS2 library in general, has quite a low standard.

And don't scream "GT3" at me, i've played the game, and as far as racing games go, it rules... at least it will until WipeOut Fusion comes(, which is without a doubt, better and more fun to play)! But for every GT3 and every Pro Evolution Soccer, there's a Simpson's Road rage and a TIF 2002, a Wild Wild Racing and a Fifa 2002...

Fate is seems, is too lazy to change, and the crowded library that drew so many hardcore gamers away from the PSX, seems to be coming back to haunt the PS2 again... Now, I know the N64 wasn't without a few bad games, I mean.... Superman 64, anyone? But still, in comparison the standard on the N64 was much higher...

Think of it as a battery farm thingy... not, RBS, not Duracell, but with Turkeys... If you crowd the turkeys, they don't get enough food water or air... and they're killing each other... So.. the PS2 games are the turkeys... and certain games within the pen have dominance, like GT3 which gets to eat food... but then there's wild wild racing which is the Sniper of the pen... it gets nothing... and games like wild wild racing and Wacky Racers are killing each other because both are crap... and if one were to be released it might see success, where as it's like having one in a desert with no water and another in space with no food..... kinda...!

Side note: ( think i need to see a doctor...)

The Gamecube, it seems, has quite a high standard for it's games...with Luigi's Mansion, PIKMIN, Smash Brothers, SFA, Sonic Adv. 2, PSO V2, ED, Resident Evil and Metroid all topping my list...

And you can moan about how most of those are first and second-party games, but the fact that they're coming along much sooner and in my opinion of better quality is quite enough to cancel that remark out... I'd go as far as to say that the Gamecube in 2 months will have a library just as competant as the PS2's, and that Nintendo catching Sony up this time around isn't such a long shot...

I suppose I could go on all day about how X beats Y and how 'A' takes longer to type than 'a', but just look at the PS2 games in a game shop... it really is a case of a few roses amongst the thorns... I'm not saying there are no decent games, but out of the 300 (Approx.) games on the shelf, there are but 20 worth having... and after that, only a percentage will appeal to each person...

The Gamecube or X-Box might not have so many games just yet, but already titles like PIKMIN and Halo are leaving PS2 titles of the same genre standing... The PS2 seems like a £200 lottery ticket... the chances of finding a 90% game in the 300+ library are low, and even then you have to find one you like...

It's all Sports and Racing, and soon enough gamers will get tired of it... if you ask me, Sony should definitely chase up franchise sequels for Jak and Daxter and Baldur's Gate: DA... because, like I said... people will only take so many sports and racing games... and in a library with such a low standard, that's quite a risk to take as it is!

Still, I suppose PS2 owners can laugh at the Cube-less Ninties and throw MGS2 and SOE boxes at them...

Game: Straying from the subject since 11/00...
Fri 21/12/01 at 00:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SOE????

Sonic
Fri 21/12/01 at 00:00
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
FAO Ortega:

In case you were wondering, Konami have confirmed Pro Evolution Soccer for the GameCube...!

It's the second of their 2 confirmed ESPN sports titles... expected in mid 2002. I can't see them not bringing it over here... chances are they will...

If you're not happy with my word, you'll see the game in the game list on www.gamespot.com...

PES is just more and more proof that the GameCube can offer just as much as the PS2 and more, thanks to our superb first and second party titles...

By the way, I saw Devil May Cry today... working in Dixons, and my goodness, how cool can one person be... Danté rocks... and i'll certainly go back to DMC... but I have J and D to get done before WipeOut Fusion comes... and I still haven't completed GTA3... I get side tracked by the prostitues and all my enemies on Portland... And after wipeout there's SOE, and then MGS2, so DMC could be a summer game... but then again, i'll be playing SFA by then along with allmy other GC games, and My PS2 will probably be stacked up in some corner... or at my mates house.

Still...

Game
Thu 20/12/01 at 21:04
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
There are so many abbrevations in this topic that I have gotten lost.

GDN?

Once somebody says what that is, I'll feel stupid but no PS2 games with those initials spring to mind.

Same with SOE. What's that?
Thu 20/12/01 at 20:38
Regular
I used to have a Master System but passed it onto a cousin a few years back.
I also had an amiga but that broke a few years back...

That leaves me with this ancient P120 (more or less internet only) and the N64 (pretty much multiplayer only).

I've been doing a fair bit of Snes emulation recently.

Everyone's enjoying the Mario 3 battle game on the school study room computers...
Thu 20/12/01 at 19:31
Regular
Hmmm.

I currently have four consoles. Megadrive, GBA, Dreamcast, N64.

I play a lot on my Dreamcast.
I play everynow and again on my N64, this I probably use the least.
I play a lot more on my Megadrive...
And I play on my GBA the most.

But as I'm out of school now, I'll be playing the Megadrive the most, I expect. I have to complete Comix Zone, and it's really getting to me.
Thu 20/12/01 at 18:43
"possibly impossible"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> As I've said before, it's all relative...

Yep, get your relatives to buy the games...ah, I see what you mean.

Well, I'm happy with the crop of PS2 games, but then I have a Dreamcast and N64 to play around with in between my bouts of GTA3 and Devil May Cry, don't I?

There are some pretty good games out there now for the PS2, and I'm not just talking about the odd few either. It's just that some games are not to everyone's taste. Take Mech games, the PS2 is the only console (bar its predecessor) that has them in any decent quantity and quality. One man's PS2 is another's doggy doo and A Dreamcast can be your best friend or worst enemy.

I would agree that the N64 has a whole bunch of good quality games, but the prices have stayed high for cartridges and again, the games are designed for a different set of people (and NO, I don't mean kids).

So how do you change this? Well, more companies writing cross platform games is a start. Sega have blessed all the consoles in this way, but really all you need is a bit of common sense and someone who has your intended console so that you can try before you buy. Me? I'm still working on getting them all!
Thu 20/12/01 at 17:37
Regular
On the subject of PS2 having mainly sports titles...

They are my fave type of games. My two most played PS2 games are NBA Street and Pro Evolution Soccer.

I remember Turbonutter used to same argument AGAINST the Gamecube. He said the Gamecube had too many sports titles.

Anyway, NBA street is coming to Gamecube. Might flog my PS2 if the Gamecube gets a version of Pro Evolution Soccer. An ISS game is in the works, i heard some people in the Nintendo forum bangin on about it being the same as the PS2 version. But isnt it the same as the N64 arcadey versions? anyone know?
Thu 20/12/01 at 16:34
"High polygon count"
As I've said before, it's all relative...

If you only have a few titles, then you'll (probably) have a higher percentage of decent titles.

The more games are produced, the bigger the percentage of crap you'll get.

The PC has a bigger catalogue of games than the PS2, and has far more crud available. The fact is, the games are there shold anyone wish to try them. And if you don't want them, you don't buy them. It's not really an issue, as long as there are enough quality titles... and there are!

As for the types of games available... it depends on your preferences. Personally I prefer the driving/shooting games to a vast selection of cutesy 3D platformers.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:16
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Meka_Dragon wrote:

>If we all read reviews, would there be no bad games?

That's a really interesting point. But I spose we could say the same thing about the film industry - there's reviews everywhere for films, in papers, on TV, and yet there's still a load of camera-toting monkeys chuning out celluloid crap.

The problem is that gauging the public reaction to a film or game while it's in production is no easy thing.

So, I guess in answer to your question, I'd say no.
Thu 20/12/01 at 12:42
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Hmm. Too many sports and racing games on the PS2... Well I suppose it's better than having hardly an, like a couple of other next gen machines...
Too many niche games, only appealing to a few gamers. Hmmmm. Again, I suppose it's better than having harly any.

You mention in the original post that the GC will have a library as strong as the PS2 in a couple of months.... Maybe, but you still wont be able to buy a GC in the shops!
Also, the next few months sees some of my most wanted PS2 titles - like AC4 and MGS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.