GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your Mum"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 20:37
Regular
Mothers. In games like.

Y’Know when characters have a brother and he got captured by some drug loving fatty gang mob lead owner and you have to save him. Or its your sister and she has been taken by some greasy fairies and you MUST rescue her for some reason or another. Even if she was a complete runt to you. But hey, its sets the scene.

What I’m going on about is that I have never in my 10 years or gaming come across a Mother of some sort the closest I have seen is what I said earlier, probably a sister or a brother, or even the old grandparent shoved in. Never a mother or father. Funny that isn’t it.

Everyone likes a good old realistic game agreed? So why don’t you ever see your Mum, or Dad? I think that developers are rushing into things, well, they are all up for making the most realistic game out aren’t they? I think that they are leaving out the necessaries in place for bigger better things. OK, a Mother or Father isn’t quite relevant to a game, unless you have to kill them or something. But wouldn’t it just be really cool if before you mission on.. umm Half-Life your Mum wished you good luck and when you returned (If you did) she would be there.

But then again, it could be relevant, I mean nowadays we are seeing people in games look so real, and they have their own personalities so if maybe producers spent a bit of time on a Mum or Dad you could become attached to them, then later on in the game they could get killed, or beaten, or robbed, thus making you angry and leaving you with a grudge with the attacker.

Its all about the family. When you are being set the scene (At the start normally) Wouldn’t it just be nice to know where your Mum and Dad were? Like, I dunno, maybe they could have split up and you would never see them again, or… maybe they got killed in a car crash or something horrible. Its just some extra information that you don’t need but it makes it just that little bit more special.

Special touches make a classic game. Take, the Championship Manager. I don’t know what it is, but building your team up and see them trample all over Arsenal 5-0 is just something special. I think it’s the feeling of… I dunno :o) Well, if you didn’t buy that player or rest that player than you could of lost 5-0. Its that feeling of.. Accomplishment.

It’s something that’s indescribable. Those special touches make a game special. Goldeneye, again, I am not sure about this one either. Maybe it’s the slick gameplay? The missions? The weapons?! I don’t have a clue, but all people that have played the game will know about that special feeling.

Wouldn’t it be another nice touch to know where your parents were living. You could go visit them and have a cuddly warm cup of tea, or on the other hand, you could go into the shed and nick an axe and chop their heads off. You don’t have to, but its YOUR choice. You can, or you can’t. Its up to you.

Well, thanks for reading my little chopped up topic about. Mum’s :oP

Wahay Mum’s!!!

GasMask
Wed 19/12/01 at 20:37
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Mothers. In games like.

Y’Know when characters have a brother and he got captured by some drug loving fatty gang mob lead owner and you have to save him. Or its your sister and she has been taken by some greasy fairies and you MUST rescue her for some reason or another. Even if she was a complete runt to you. But hey, its sets the scene.

What I’m going on about is that I have never in my 10 years or gaming come across a Mother of some sort the closest I have seen is what I said earlier, probably a sister or a brother, or even the old grandparent shoved in. Never a mother or father. Funny that isn’t it.

Everyone likes a good old realistic game agreed? So why don’t you ever see your Mum, or Dad? I think that developers are rushing into things, well, they are all up for making the most realistic game out aren’t they? I think that they are leaving out the necessaries in place for bigger better things. OK, a Mother or Father isn’t quite relevant to a game, unless you have to kill them or something. But wouldn’t it just be really cool if before you mission on.. umm Half-Life your Mum wished you good luck and when you returned (If you did) she would be there.

But then again, it could be relevant, I mean nowadays we are seeing people in games look so real, and they have their own personalities so if maybe producers spent a bit of time on a Mum or Dad you could become attached to them, then later on in the game they could get killed, or beaten, or robbed, thus making you angry and leaving you with a grudge with the attacker.

Its all about the family. When you are being set the scene (At the start normally) Wouldn’t it just be nice to know where your Mum and Dad were? Like, I dunno, maybe they could have split up and you would never see them again, or… maybe they got killed in a car crash or something horrible. Its just some extra information that you don’t need but it makes it just that little bit more special.

Special touches make a classic game. Take, the Championship Manager. I don’t know what it is, but building your team up and see them trample all over Arsenal 5-0 is just something special. I think it’s the feeling of… I dunno :o) Well, if you didn’t buy that player or rest that player than you could of lost 5-0. Its that feeling of.. Accomplishment.

It’s something that’s indescribable. Those special touches make a game special. Goldeneye, again, I am not sure about this one either. Maybe it’s the slick gameplay? The missions? The weapons?! I don’t have a clue, but all people that have played the game will know about that special feeling.

Wouldn’t it be another nice touch to know where your parents were living. You could go visit them and have a cuddly warm cup of tea, or on the other hand, you could go into the shed and nick an axe and chop their heads off. You don’t have to, but its YOUR choice. You can, or you can’t. Its up to you.

Well, thanks for reading my little chopped up topic about. Mum’s :oP

Wahay Mum’s!!!

GasMask
Wed 19/12/01 at 21:05
Regular
"I like cheese"
GasMask wrote:
I don’t know what it is, but building your team up and see them trample
> all over Arsenal 5-0 is just something special. I think it’s the feeling of… I
> dunno :o)

LOL!!

Well described there Gassie. {;)
Wed 19/12/01 at 21:10
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Ant wrote:

LOL!!

Well described there Gassie. {;)

Yea. As useful as concrete armbands some might say :o)
Wed 19/12/01 at 21:26
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ermmm... Interesting topic... Not much more I can say than that. It certialy was original though :-)
Thu 20/12/01 at 09:54
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
I think that we need to take this concept further. I'm in the process of developing a game design - Advanced Mother Simulator.

Picture the scene, you've got to get the washing done, ensuring that you've got enough time spare to watch Trisha, sort the shopping out, flirt with the milkman, pick the kids up, get dinner ready, and keep the house spick and span. Mini-games could include avoiding being conned by the mechanic when you take the car in for repairs, fighting through the December crowds to procure the last box of Harry Potter Lego and so on. I'm planning on implementing them through a mixture of 3D action adventure elements along with Shenmue-style QTEs.

The beauty of it is that the games industry is missing out on a whole demographic there, and I'm going to cash in on it big-style.

My next game? Turok, Richard Maidley Hunter.
Thu 20/12/01 at 23:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Shenmue- all about your dad.

Sonic
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:13
Regular
In Pokemon Gold, your Mum looks after your pocket money for you.
Fri 21/12/01 at 13:18
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
No, your mum.
Fri 21/12/01 at 14:34
Regular
"Acid Casual"
See that, thats your mum that is.
Sun 23/12/01 at 13:18
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Cheers for reply's all. Merry Christmas and all the usual rubbish :oP

Snuggers? Your Mum? Mine? :-D

You Mum looks after your pocket money does she? :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.