GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lord of the Rings Review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 19:39
Regular
Peter Jackson is a genius – pure and simple. Lord of the Rings is a cinematic masterpiece that truly deserves to displace Star Wars as the best film trilogy in history. I immensely enjoyed this film, and it lived up to all my expectations – and I had meteoric expectations.

He has altered the book significantly. Does this matter? Of course not. His changes are necessary and in some points, they actually better the book. The changes come thick and fast. Gandalf and Saruman’s confrontation is extended from a war of words to a battle of wizards. They throw each other around with power from their staffs, and is entertaining to see Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee batter each other to a pulp. The brilliance of this film really lies in the new introduction, showing the War of the Ring when the alliance of Elendil and Gil-galad overthrew Sauron. The Dark Lord himself is transformed from a shadowy presence to a fully clad warlord. I’m sure Goatboy will enjoy it immensely as he actually “smashes Elves wiv stik.” The history of the Ring, largely confined to the appendixes, has been condensed and brought to the screen with such scale that it impossible to think you ever visualised anything else. Isildurs folly is shown poignantly in the sorrow he shows for his father’s death and his greed over the Ring he has stolen. This five minute stretch is, in my opinion, Peter Jackson’s strongest triumph in this film, although he has many.

He is often shown to be a fan of Tolkien, and this is evident in the deep passion he brings to the film. It’s a film by a fan for the fans, though I’ll be surprised if non-fans don’t love it too. His interpretation of the corruption the Ring brings is Oscar worthy, especially Galadriel’s reaction. He uses GCI to portray how her power is awesome and could become so much more with the Ring. He shows how Isildur succumbs, how Boromir succumbs, how Aragorn is tempted and how Gandalf is tempted. He replaces Glorfindel with Arwen, but I think this is a good move as he brings another angle out from the appendixes with it – Arwen and Aragorn’s love stories. Jeez, Tolkien really kept some good material in those appendixes. You can see why Jackson felt they deserved more applaud than they got. Another thing easy to stop is Peter Jackson’s favourite character. I may be wrong, but the film concentrates on Legolas a lot more than the book did, showing his ability. I would be surprised if Legolas wasn’t his favourite character after seeing this. He’s certainly mine. Good on you Peter, give Legolas more time. He deserves it.

I will be angry if I hear lack of content accusations levelled against this film because of it’s high CGI content. They add, not take away, from LotR. The book is the greatest epic ever written – it could never be translated to the silver screen without the magic of modern effects.

Another, minor point. Trolls. Harry Potter has one. Lord of the Rings has one, and it kicks some Potter behind, I can tell you. It looks meaner, harder, and has a bigger club. What more could you ask for?

Lack of accuracy to the book…well, that’s both true and false. It follows the storyline loyally, the journey of Frodo, the Fellowship – the whole nine yards. But there are cuts. Even with three hours of film time you couldn’t possibly fit the whole Fellowship of the Ring into one film. So out goes Tom Bombadil. Out goes Glorfindel. Out goes the move to Bywater. Out goes the Sackville-Baggins (good thing really, I despise them). In comes of Arwen. Don’t mind that either, it’s the quite lovely Ms Liv Tyler. No, seriously, she definitely adds to the plot, showing tenderness and a warrior spirit in the same moment. Go Go Appendix Jackson! He certainly likes those appendixes! Well, don’t we all?

Finally, I strongly recommend seeing this – twice. Maybe three times. You can be sure you’ve missed something the first time. Oh, and it’s got the best death scene ever. A true return to cliffhanger movie – although I think it deserves to sweep the floor with Star Wars. Give Aragorn a lightsaber and we’d see how long the Emperor lasted. :-D

To see Sauron (a.k.a Goatboy) smash Elves with big stik and shiny ring, watch this. To see true loyalty and pure courage portrayed in film, see this. Most of all, to have a great time, see this. From a true Lord of the Rings geek, this is a recommendation. I can honestly say even my favourite Kevin Smith films don’t measure up to it. Yes, that’s right, Dogma is out of the window and in comes Lord of the Rings at my top film. I’ll eagerly await the DVD release.

Peter Jackson is a genius. Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece. Stryke is obsessed.
Sat 22/12/01 at 19:23
Regular
I disagree,Smeagol. I found Fellowship of the Ring the best of the trilogy, though I can't WAIT to see the Battle of Pelennor Fields on film!
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:28
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
killerdevil wrote:
The plot overall wasn't too bad, but then the ending! What happened
> there!

You're an idiot! From what you've written there, it sounds like you don't even know that there is a book in existence.....

If you'd read the book, you'd already know the plot.

It was only the film of the first part of the trilogy as well, so they obviously were'nt going to get all the way to Mordor and destroy the ring. The ending was fine.
Sat 22/12/01 at 10:48
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Everybodies Imagination displays something different to each other in our minds when we read the Books.
But really, pay respect to Peter Jackson, after all this was 'His' Imagination coming to life, everybody is different.
Thankfully for me and for most people who watched the film, his interpretation of Middle Earth was 'on par' to my own.
Naturally the Books are going to be a lot better, who says they wouldn't be?, after all the Books 'Take' you there literally, with Tolkien spurring your imagination on for Hours and Hours with explicit and precise detail. You literally journey with the Fellowship, step by step.

But for the Movie, put It this way- It is so good, it is the best movie of all time.

Until....... The Two Towers.
Sat 22/12/01 at 09:44
Regular
You're an idiot.
Fri 21/12/01 at 22:16
Looking through this page i see nothing but, "oh my god, that film was ace, i have to tell everyone how good it was". Well my opinion is completely the opposite. The film dragged on longer than titanic in slow motion, and had no humor, realistic violence or any hanky panky that we all come to expect from todays movie producing studios.

But aside the longetivity of the film, even i can commend the spectacular special effects, such as the daemon in the goblin cave, who somehow conjures up the word 'devil' anyones mind, with the classic 15ft figure, muscles of fire, and horns which make look anne robinson look innocent. The plot overall wasn't too bad, but then the ending! What happened there!

Although it seemed disappointing to me from my point of view, i must say it doesn't compare to the staticness, but imaginative fury of the book. Every one knows that your own imagination can be scarier than real life (e.g nightmares), but when you read a book and get seriously involved in it, your mind takes over, you start to conjure up your own images. This is why i recommend the book insted of the movie.

If you are planning to see the movie, make sure you don't take younger children, because they will fall asleep within 5 minutes, same goes if your taking your date, make sure you take a pack of cards to keep yourself occupied, altough there are otherthings...

But if your looking for a long film with good effects, music, and plot, then i suggest you see this film.
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:30
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I cant wait to see the second one now. :-D
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:22
Regular
Yes yes, that scene ruled. He was class. Pity he died,really. But closing line!

" Let us hunt some orc."

Yes yes, let you hunt some orc soon. Like tommorrow!
Fri 21/12/01 at 20:15
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Oh and the music as he is dying is great too.

In fact, the music was brilliant all the way through....

....and I hadn't even heard of the guy who did it. Howard Shore anyone?
Fri 21/12/01 at 20:11
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
That was great too but the SEAN BEAN DEATH SCENE!!!

*DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING GOOD IN THAT SCENE*

The first arrow. I knew he died in the film but it was still great. He keeps fighting. The second arrow. He's down and you think it's over......but he gets back up and kills more. The third arrow and he's down on his knees. Then he's just staring at the the two other hobbits as the orc things rush past him, leaving him there. Then the general guy comes up and is about to fire another arrow in him when Aragorn jumps into him. I though Sean Bean would be my favourite character in the film, but he wasn't. Aragorn was. Vigo Mortenson just has the best eyes! It's like he's always sad but he's still a great fighter character. Anyway, Aragorn and the general guy fight and Aragorn wins. Then Aragorn and Sean Bean are on the floor, talking and it adds the perfect end to his death scene. "I would have followed you to the end. My brother. My captain. My king."

And that's not even to mention the really cool battle moves that different people were doing. Legolas was the best. When he stabs one guy in the chest with an arrow, then pulls it out and as the guy falls, he pulls back his bow and fires the same arrow into some guy behind the guy he has just killed.

I feel like I'm 8 years old again. Oh that was so cool. I wanna be able to do that! :-D

That mine scene was good but the battle scene where Sean Bean dies is simply unbeatable. I haven't enjoyed a scene that much in ages.

And that wizard fight scene was great too. Although only because it was so funny. It was fairly amusing all the way but then Gandalf starts break dancing as he is spinning round on his head and I couldn't stop laughing. :-D

And the main agent guy from the Matrix was in it too. I recognised him in the first battle scene with Sauron but I only realised who it was later, when the fellowship was formed. And once I realised who he was, I couldn't take him seriously any more. Whatever he said, I just thought of, "There is another organism on this planet which follows the same pattern....." and all the rest of his matrix lines.
Fri 21/12/01 at 19:59
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
That bit when the guy kept getting hit with the arrows was great. That is the best death scene I have seen, it sure beats the episode one death.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.