GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts on FIFA 12"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FIFA 12'.
Tue 20/09/11 at 16:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
So the FIFA 12 demo has been out for a few days now. What do you footy fans think of it?

Personally, I might not even buy it. The tackling system is absolutely horrendous. I would prefer to play an updated FIFA 11 (although sadly FIFA 11 doesn't work on the majority of PS3 slims).

I haven't even heard of the commentator who is with Martin Tyler. It's time like these when you hire a joker like Chris Kamara to resurrect the game, because at the moment, I'm more tempted by Pro Evo, and I'm definitely not buying that.

It's moved right down on my to buy list.
Fri 23/09/11 at 13:43
Regular
Tackling was too easy in the the old game. They fixed that and made attacking less easy and the goalkeepers seem better

Now if they fix the referees we might have a halfway decent football game
Thu 22/09/11 at 12:38
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Warhunt wrote:
PS. As a side, I will improve like I suggested, and still enjoyed the new tackling system, but am frustrated to see that the "player waiting til the ball reaches him" is still in the game. Really?

I pass the ball, my receiver just stands there like a lemon unable to be controlled or moved even if switched to him, the opponent puts rockets on and flies 30 yards to get the intercept, my head hits the table top as hard as I can. Or I punch McLong and blame him. Whether he is playing or not.

That is still there? I'm nowhere near being knowledgeable enough to comment on FIFA games. I own FIFA 10 and the last FIFA game I had before that was probably FIFA 99. What I will say is that I find FIFA 10 a generally frustrating experience and the 'waiting to the receive the ball' thing is just criminal.

I know in FIFA 10 you can hold both triggers to get control of the player but I would have hoped that common sense would have prevailed and players actually moved towards or reacted better to a passed ball.

I think it reinforces the fact that FIFA is not for me. I don't find them fun as I can't see past the obvious problems in them. That's not to say I'm in the Pro Evo camp because I'm not. I got the last good Pro Evo (a number of years ago now) and that is it. I don't know how they review so well.
Thu 22/09/11 at 10:22
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Well saying what I did before is all well and good. But at that point I had played the demo on beginner and one game on intermediate.

On beginner I won the first 3 games I played 2-0, 4-0, 4-0.
On intermediate I lost my first game 2-0 (to the Goon no less >_<)

Yesterday played on expert (or whatever the demo level is) and lost 5-0, then 4-0.

Now I'm not a F11 master, but even on legendary I tended towards drawing more often than not.

It seemed on the higher difficulties it was just impossible to regain the ball until the other team started their attacking move in my third.

Don't get me wrong, this is accurate and realistic I guess, and moves the game towards two seperate plays (attacking and defending cycles) much like hockey and american football sort-of-thing.

But fun? I'll reserve judgement for now, but the idea of sitting there waiting for the opponent to advance into my half/3rd before seeing them play risky or even forward passes seems frustrating.

PS. As a side, I will improve like I suggested, and still enjoyed the new tackling system, but am frustrated to see that the "player waiting til the ball reaches him" is still in the game. Really?

I pass the ball, my receiver just stands there like a lemon unable to be controlled or moved even if switched to him, the opponent puts rockets on and flies 30 yards to get the intercept, my head hits the table top as hard as I can. Or I punch McLong and blame him. Whether he is playing or not.
Wed 21/09/11 at 19:03
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well if your theory is true, the learning curve is certainly getting steeper and steeper! :P
Wed 21/09/11 at 09:06
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
EA can't increase the complexity of one thing that much? 0_o Eh?
They do that every single release Chris :)

Last year it was passing, the year before shooting, the year before single player skills/receiving the ball. It's the done thing for about 5 years now :S

I actually enjoyed the new system. As long as the NPC's share the same difficulty it should be considered a bonus, as skill dribbling was almost non existent in 11.

In short, it's a bonus!

Butch and me, and to some extent McLong (he tends to favour towards your argument I think Chris, or at least doesn't like it) agreed that it's like this for all new FIFA's. Everyone will dislike it, then fall in love as they actually learn how to play it.
Wed 21/09/11 at 08:54
Regular
"And in last place.."
I've played the demo a few times but not really paid too much attention to the tackling tutorial. It seems a better idea in theory, I'd just need some time to get to grips with it.

I probably won't be getting the game anyway. It's nothing to do with the game itself, I'm still happy with FIFA 10 and I get to start all over again with my PS3 getting the YLOD.
Tue 20/09/11 at 20:36
Regular
"How Ironic"
The tackling system is overcomplicated. EA can't increase one aspect of the games difficulty so drastically within one release, it's just too much for anyone. Whilst it may be more realistic in terms of tackling, the other contributing factors haven't been implemented alongside it, which makes it stand out (in my opinion, if you're on the attack, it's very easy for you). Attacking should recieve just as much of an 'improvement' in the realism department, simple things like losing control of the ball just from running with it or trying to change direction, because every player no matter what there skill can always run with the ball with no problem. It's just a huge inbalance right now. And one word which could possibly put the nail in the coffin.

Online.

@Butch I stand by what I said back then, I didn't become fond of FIFA 11. I haven't played a full FIFA game for months now as I sold my copy, mainly because it didn't work on my slim.
Tue 20/09/11 at 19:50
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I've found the tackling to be extremely difficult and frustrating, but it is an improvement. The collision detection system is good, but needs modification before release. They seem to have made striking harder to make up for the increased difficulty of tackling. All in all, I can never say I can truly make up my mind with such a short match as the demo gives you.
Tue 20/09/11 at 19:34
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Guessed the content of your post before even reading it.

The tackling system has changed for the better, it actually takes skill and timing to complete successful tackles on the demo as opposed to the 'Hold X to be successful' tactic of previous years. However, if you really hate it and want to play FIFA11.5 you can turn on the legacy tackling system.

You've never heard of Alan Smith? He has done a lot of commentary for Sky this season and, despite being a Gooner, isn't all that bad. I assume you didn't watch Liverpool getting thumped on Sunday as I believe he did the commentary for Sky.

Remember though, this is the demo and is likely to be completely different to the full title. I think that you will enjoy this full game, as you have the current version.

Don't believe me? I'll just leave this here:

On 21st September 2010 Sonic Chris wrote:
Becoming less impressed with FIFA 11 the more I try the demo. Too many misplaced passes for my liking, the gameplay is very groggy and slow and so much for this personality feature! Drogba couldn't sprint past Pique! Pique's good, but he's nowhere near as fast as Drogba!

Have to say, despite the fact that I've played FIFA all my life, I am extremely impressed with the Pro Evo 11 demo.
Tue 20/09/11 at 16:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
So the FIFA 12 demo has been out for a few days now. What do you footy fans think of it?

Personally, I might not even buy it. The tackling system is absolutely horrendous. I would prefer to play an updated FIFA 11 (although sadly FIFA 11 doesn't work on the majority of PS3 slims).

I haven't even heard of the commentator who is with Martin Tyler. It's time like these when you hire a joker like Chris Kamara to resurrect the game, because at the moment, I'm more tempted by Pro Evo, and I'm definitely not buying that.

It's moved right down on my to buy list.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.