GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fixing a Dualshock 3 Controller"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/09/11 at 23:06
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
It's a nightmare when a controller breaks. It's annoying to know that the issue plagues other users too, but that also means that there is help available. Recently (as in Tuesday), my Dualshock 3 stopped being functional when used wirelessly. It would work fine when plugged in, but would immediately desynchronise when detached from the console. This isn't the first time I've encountered this issue, and there are a couple of steps to go through before either taking it apart, taking it for repairs, or throwing it away.

The first step is a fairly obvious one: Try and charge it up. A friend of mine was once complaining that they couldn't get their controller to work wirelessly. This was because the controller's battery was completely dead. This takes a little while to charge up to a usable capacity for wireless functionality, so either plug it into the PS3 whilst idling, whilst using another controller, or alternatively, plug the wire into a USB slot on PC or laptop for charging.

Assuming that doesn't work, that the controller is fully charged (the PS3 may tell you this by plugging it in, and pressing the PS button, if it is not indicating that the controller is charging in the corner where the controller number flashes, then it is fully charged). There are a few steps to go through if this is the case. The major suspect for this is mis-pairing, where the controller and PS3 fail to communicate properly whilst wireless, generally the fault of the controller.

The first step is to attempt to reset the controller, using the small button to the right of the L2 button on the back-side. This should erase all pairing information and set the controller back to factory settings. Plug the controller in, hold the PS button to pair, and then unplug the controller. If the controller still disconnects, try the next step.

Now, turn the PS3 off completely (not on standby) for a good amount of time (a couple of hours) and try to pair again. This can sometimes work, but usually the issue persists.

The final (and simplest) step is to pair the Dualshock 3 to a different PS3. Whilst this may be difficult for those without access to one, this method seems to be the most effective (and the one I go straight to now when this problem arises). Plug the Dualshock 3 into a PS3 in which it is not currently paired. This will erase the pairing information for the PS3 in which the controller refuses to work, and replace it with that of the new PS3. Then, re-pair the Dualshock 3 with the old PS3. The pairing information should now be no longer corrupted, and controller should work as originally intended.
Tue 07/08/12 at 22:37
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Nope, because this thread is designed as a fix to a technical fault, not a physical one.

I would not suggest throwing controllers. They are fairly expensive, quite crucial to the playing part of most games, and generally don't take throwing particularly well.
Tue 07/08/12 at 22:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
HARDCORE PAWN wrote:
I think the battery is dead or the controoler is bused mine recenly is busted my cousin yhrew it and I can hear pieces inside. Do you hear pieces for yours as well.

Welcome ... nice try ;¬) You did read the manual first didn't you? No? So next time friend ... RTFM :¬)
Tue 07/08/12 at 22:12
Regular
I think the battery is dead or the controoler is bused mine recenly is busted my cousin yhrew it and I can hear pieces inside. Do you hear pieces for yours as well.
Wed 14/09/11 at 23:06
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
It's a nightmare when a controller breaks. It's annoying to know that the issue plagues other users too, but that also means that there is help available. Recently (as in Tuesday), my Dualshock 3 stopped being functional when used wirelessly. It would work fine when plugged in, but would immediately desynchronise when detached from the console. This isn't the first time I've encountered this issue, and there are a couple of steps to go through before either taking it apart, taking it for repairs, or throwing it away.

The first step is a fairly obvious one: Try and charge it up. A friend of mine was once complaining that they couldn't get their controller to work wirelessly. This was because the controller's battery was completely dead. This takes a little while to charge up to a usable capacity for wireless functionality, so either plug it into the PS3 whilst idling, whilst using another controller, or alternatively, plug the wire into a USB slot on PC or laptop for charging.

Assuming that doesn't work, that the controller is fully charged (the PS3 may tell you this by plugging it in, and pressing the PS button, if it is not indicating that the controller is charging in the corner where the controller number flashes, then it is fully charged). There are a few steps to go through if this is the case. The major suspect for this is mis-pairing, where the controller and PS3 fail to communicate properly whilst wireless, generally the fault of the controller.

The first step is to attempt to reset the controller, using the small button to the right of the L2 button on the back-side. This should erase all pairing information and set the controller back to factory settings. Plug the controller in, hold the PS button to pair, and then unplug the controller. If the controller still disconnects, try the next step.

Now, turn the PS3 off completely (not on standby) for a good amount of time (a couple of hours) and try to pair again. This can sometimes work, but usually the issue persists.

The final (and simplest) step is to pair the Dualshock 3 to a different PS3. Whilst this may be difficult for those without access to one, this method seems to be the most effective (and the one I go straight to now when this problem arises). Plug the Dualshock 3 into a PS3 in which it is not currently paired. This will erase the pairing information for the PS3 in which the controller refuses to work, and replace it with that of the new PS3. Then, re-pair the Dualshock 3 with the old PS3. The pairing information should now be no longer corrupted, and controller should work as originally intended.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.