GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony are better"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 12:12
Regular
I've just finished an important piece of research and have found the following:

When it comes to home entertainment Sony are better than the LBC (London Brick Company).

Let's take one product from each company, and comapre them, just to prove my findings. From Sony we'll take the Playstation2. From the LBC we'll take the 'house brick'.

Asthetics. When it comes to choice, with the PS2 you can have whatever colour you like. As long as it's black. There will be a limited number of other colours released, but in all honesty they look a little bit crap. The brick is available in a range of shades, though all are based around the same brick theme. If you are to place your choice beneath a television set, the PS2 will fit in just fine, it will look rather sleek, and will impress any visiters. A brick beneath your TV set would not really tie in as well, the colour would ot look right, and guests may turn their nose up at it.

Storage. Storage wise, the brick is excellent, it will function in exactly the same manner whether it is on any of it's six sides. The Playstation2 however, is best stored in one of two positions, upright with a stand, or flat. Only having two storage options counts against Sony here, especially as one of them requires an accessory to do so.

Controller ports. The Playstation 2 has come under criticism in the past for only having two controller ports, but using a multitap or two up to eight players can enjoy a game. In comparison the LBC brick has no controller ports to speak of, which is a definite minus.

Games. The PS2 has a wide range of games, that is growing by the day. There's plenty of variety, and something for everyone. The brick can not play games, as such, but you are able to play games with the brick, such as. Catch the brick, hide the brick, and stand on the brick. The PS2 will also play DVD movies. The brick would probably cause a disc irreversable damage if you attempted to insert a DVD into it.

Accessories. The PS2 has a wide range of differnet controllers and steering wheels, and a hard-disk is being launched next year. Brick's on the other hand have few accessories as such, but interact with other bricks to a quite amazing level. In fact it could be said that you could build almost anything with bricks and mortar. A house, a castle, even a wall. Though the PS2 is congruent, I don't believe that it would be strong enough to hold the weight of many other PS2's if you tried to build a house with them.

Price. At £199 the PS2 is a little expensive when compared to the brick, but it does have a far wider range of functionality. You really need to purchase many bricks to receive any real benefit from them, and this can push the price up.

So all in all I'd say that when it comes to entertainment the PS2 will be a better purchase. The brick, or bricks may be fun for a while, but I don't believe that it has any lasting appeal.
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:12
Regular
"not dead"
I've just finished an important piece of research and have found the following:

When it comes to home entertainment Sony are better than the LBC (London Brick Company).

Let's take one product from each company, and comapre them, just to prove my findings. From Sony we'll take the Playstation2. From the LBC we'll take the 'house brick'.

Asthetics. When it comes to choice, with the PS2 you can have whatever colour you like. As long as it's black. There will be a limited number of other colours released, but in all honesty they look a little bit crap. The brick is available in a range of shades, though all are based around the same brick theme. If you are to place your choice beneath a television set, the PS2 will fit in just fine, it will look rather sleek, and will impress any visiters. A brick beneath your TV set would not really tie in as well, the colour would ot look right, and guests may turn their nose up at it.

Storage. Storage wise, the brick is excellent, it will function in exactly the same manner whether it is on any of it's six sides. The Playstation2 however, is best stored in one of two positions, upright with a stand, or flat. Only having two storage options counts against Sony here, especially as one of them requires an accessory to do so.

Controller ports. The Playstation 2 has come under criticism in the past for only having two controller ports, but using a multitap or two up to eight players can enjoy a game. In comparison the LBC brick has no controller ports to speak of, which is a definite minus.

Games. The PS2 has a wide range of games, that is growing by the day. There's plenty of variety, and something for everyone. The brick can not play games, as such, but you are able to play games with the brick, such as. Catch the brick, hide the brick, and stand on the brick. The PS2 will also play DVD movies. The brick would probably cause a disc irreversable damage if you attempted to insert a DVD into it.

Accessories. The PS2 has a wide range of differnet controllers and steering wheels, and a hard-disk is being launched next year. Brick's on the other hand have few accessories as such, but interact with other bricks to a quite amazing level. In fact it could be said that you could build almost anything with bricks and mortar. A house, a castle, even a wall. Though the PS2 is congruent, I don't believe that it would be strong enough to hold the weight of many other PS2's if you tried to build a house with them.

Price. At £199 the PS2 is a little expensive when compared to the brick, but it does have a far wider range of functionality. You really need to purchase many bricks to receive any real benefit from them, and this can push the price up.

So all in all I'd say that when it comes to entertainment the PS2 will be a better purchase. The brick, or bricks may be fun for a while, but I don't believe that it has any lasting appeal.
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:16
Regular
I think you're being a little bias towards the PS2.

You do know that the LBC Zealots are going to give you hell for that!
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:29
Regular
Apparently if you combine a few hundred PS2's together you can power Nuclear missiles and the like. A few hundred bricks can make ya building to blow up. Have fun with PS2 and ya LBC bricks.
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:30
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
How can you possibly compare the two? One is a console, and the other is a brick! This topic is stupid!!!1!
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:32
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Strafex wrote:
> I think you're being a little bias towards the PS2.

You do know that the LBC
> Zealots are going to give you hell for that!

Nah, I've spent all morning on the brick fanboy forum, taunting them with lines like "you won't fight me with my awesome PS2 power" and "I bet you're all bricking it, you cowards".

All mouth and no trousers, those Brick-a-braks.
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:55
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> How can you possibly compare the two? One is a console, and the other is a
> brick! This topic is stupid!!!1!

I thought the same way, and gave up after reading the second sentence.

No offence though Meka_Dragon
Wed 19/12/01 at 14:14
Regular
"not dead"
Shadow Demon wrote:
> Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> How can you possibly compare the two? One is a console,
> and the other is a
> brick! This topic is stupid!!!1!

I thought the same
> way, and gave up after reading the second sentence.

No offence though
> Meka_Dragon

Honestly, none taken. I'm laughing.
Wed 19/12/01 at 14:17
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
LOL, if that doesn't win GAD I'll....I'll..erm. I don't know, but it deserves to win. I know, I'll cry:)
Wed 19/12/01 at 14:24
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Slave aggrees with what uksgamer2002 wrote:
> LOL, if that doesn't win GAD I'll....I'll..erm. I don't know, but it deserves to
> win. I know, I'll cry:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.