GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Horrible Borders"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/12/01 at 18:44
Regular
I regret to say this, but it’s true…

CAPCOM are becoming very boring, well, in this country anyway.
Just look at those huge borders one either side of the TV screen. It’s such a pain. It makes me wish I had a 52” Television – Ha! I WISH!
I mean just look at it! Devil May Cry, Onimusha: Warlords, Resident Evil Code: Veronica Complete, and even CAPCOM vs. SNK 2. That’s almost every CAPCOM game released on the PlayStation 2 so far, except for the Street Fighter game, which all include borders. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Street Fighter consists of borders too.
Anyway, my point here is that CAPCOM should get rid of all those border rubbish. It’s obviously due it the fact that TVs in this country hardly support 60Hz displays. Well, whoever made that up is talking nonsense. All TV screens here are combatable, and all of them have even a higher spec than that of Japan and the US. The only TVs in the UK that can’t push out that type of resolution are TV combis, which are Televisions and Videos, combined. But at least they play NTSC video.

So…if other games such as, Jak & Daxter can be displayed in full screen using 60FPS, than why can’t CAPCOM make their games do the same?

I don’t mean to disgrace CAPCOM. They are my favourite games development company, and have always been, but thanks to their borders, I am losing valuable time on their games.
Funny I said that – VALUABLE time playing GAMES? (Laughs)
Tue 18/12/01 at 18:44
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
I regret to say this, but it’s true…

CAPCOM are becoming very boring, well, in this country anyway.
Just look at those huge borders one either side of the TV screen. It’s such a pain. It makes me wish I had a 52” Television – Ha! I WISH!
I mean just look at it! Devil May Cry, Onimusha: Warlords, Resident Evil Code: Veronica Complete, and even CAPCOM vs. SNK 2. That’s almost every CAPCOM game released on the PlayStation 2 so far, except for the Street Fighter game, which all include borders. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Street Fighter consists of borders too.
Anyway, my point here is that CAPCOM should get rid of all those border rubbish. It’s obviously due it the fact that TVs in this country hardly support 60Hz displays. Well, whoever made that up is talking nonsense. All TV screens here are combatable, and all of them have even a higher spec than that of Japan and the US. The only TVs in the UK that can’t push out that type of resolution are TV combis, which are Televisions and Videos, combined. But at least they play NTSC video.

So…if other games such as, Jak & Daxter can be displayed in full screen using 60FPS, than why can’t CAPCOM make their games do the same?

I don’t mean to disgrace CAPCOM. They are my favourite games development company, and have always been, but thanks to their borders, I am losing valuable time on their games.
Funny I said that – VALUABLE time playing GAMES? (Laughs)
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:13
Regular
Having owned a Dreamcast for the past two years with most games supporting the 60hz option, I have to say that 60hz is completely over-rated.

In my experience, the upside of 60hz is that it makes games run smoother and in some instances gets rid of the borders, but there is more often than not a price to pay.
I've lost count of the times that 60hz makes the visuals look blurry - just check out Crazy Taxi in 60hz and compare it to 50hz.
Also in 60hz, slowdown increases to almost horrific proportions.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:16
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
The only game worth using the 60Hz mode is Dead Or Alive 2 on both, the Dreamcast and the PlayStation 2.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:17
Anyway, I didn't really notice the borders in Devil May Cry. Whats wrong with borders anyway, if the game is good then who cares. People play on a GBA screen and are happy, admittedly borders are not desirable but are they really that bad.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:19
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
Personally I don't mind borders on Fighting games. They don't require years of staring at the screen with 10 hour brakes every 7 hours or so. Its games like FFIX that really start to tick me off. Stunning visuals, extensive gameplay hours of staring at the screen and HUGE top and bottom borders. Thats what I call stupid. If FF8 could do it, then FF9 should be able to (it has bettered FF8 to such a degree that it looks about as good as a crumpled lilt can, an empty one). I ask, "What is the point in borders?" and I still can't get an answer.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:20
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
You bet they are bad!
By the way...you say that you hardly noticed the borders in Devil May Cry - that's my major concern for this topic - LOL
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:22
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
Prawn Star wrote:
I ask, "What is the point in borders?" and I still can't
>get an answer.

Frame-rates
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:25
"period drama"
I'm 101 days old today!

yay! for all.

you hardly notice the borders when you get into the game.

here's a rule,
If you notice the borders, you're not enjoying the game.

ah, wise.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:28
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:

If you notice the borders, you're not enjoying the game.

I don't mean to sound rude here FinalFantasyFanatic, but I already mentioned that in my topic.
Why do you suppose I said that CAPCOM were becoming boring? Surely not for the sake of it.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:30
Regular
Yes, it has been a trademark for Capcom to release games in the UK with very thick black borders that even ruin a killer app.

I think its becuse they are geting a bad influence hanging around Nintendo because like Nintendo they really are lazy to do a good job for the European market and so do Square who are going to take almost a year to translate subtitles and menus of FFX into othe European languages like Spanish and French.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.