GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[iPod Game] Tesla Wars"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tesla Wars'.
Mon 25/07/11 at 15:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Tower Defence is one of my favourite genres on the iOS platform, but the problem is, it can be difficult to develop variations of the style, with most seeming the exact same.

It was exciting to view screenshots of Tesla Wars before playing the App as it looked as though this game had a lot to offer in comparison with it's competitors. Diving straight into the gameplay, the concept is incredibly easy to grasp. You control a powerful stationary tower in the middle of the screen which is surrounded by walls. Your enemy? Mere stickmen who will attack the walls and the tower until it is all destroyed. Your job is to zap these fiendish little soldiers and fight your way through as many waves as possible.

No tutorials are needed, the game has been kept simple and clean, well not so clean if you take into account the blood splatters and explosions of the little stick soldiers when you destroy them. Anihilating the approaching armies requires a tap of each soldier. At the start of the game, this sends a destructive lightning bolt out from the top of the tower towards your man.

Depending on the length of the strike, the target will either be completely destroyed, or you may have just blown his legs off, allowing him to crawl on his arms. This was a nice touch that makes the game a tad unpredictable, as it is not guaranteed your foes will be killed.

Now of course, if the entire game was based around lightning bolts striking various amount of stickmen, the game would become incredibly monotonous. It was therefore essential for an upgrade system to be implemented within the game, which thankfully it has. It is sad to report that the upgrade system is somewhat long and tiresome.

It will take you a long time to accquire every upgrade in the game, with weapons, health, as well as repairs and energy regeneration levels reaching up to level 100. Each level upgrade costs money which is gathered from destroying enemies and completing waves. I would guess it would take days of non-stop play to get all of the weapons and bonuses. Whilst some may look at this as a plus for the App, I view it as a negative, and it is just not a feasible system.

The feature I most enjoyed about the App was the variety of enemies available. At first, your basic stickmen are the attackers, but after awhile, you'll face various renditions of the standard figure which include the likes of stickmen holding explosive barrels to their own weaponry. The battlefield can become a real mess with various different units all over the place, but I see it as part of the fun. It adds life to what would otherwise be a plain and boring environment.

Overall, Tesla Wars will keep you occupied an extremely long time, but as I pointed out before, that is not necessarily a good thing. If I were to update this App, I would suggest an improved upgrade system, because the exciting weaponry is not available until you have played for a long time. I believe that with the various weapons being more accessible, mixed with the already fantastic array of foes available, this Tower Defence game will become far more enjoyable.

Also posted by me at AppGamer.net
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 25/07/11 at 15:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Tower Defence is one of my favourite genres on the iOS platform, but the problem is, it can be difficult to develop variations of the style, with most seeming the exact same.

It was exciting to view screenshots of Tesla Wars before playing the App as it looked as though this game had a lot to offer in comparison with it's competitors. Diving straight into the gameplay, the concept is incredibly easy to grasp. You control a powerful stationary tower in the middle of the screen which is surrounded by walls. Your enemy? Mere stickmen who will attack the walls and the tower until it is all destroyed. Your job is to zap these fiendish little soldiers and fight your way through as many waves as possible.

No tutorials are needed, the game has been kept simple and clean, well not so clean if you take into account the blood splatters and explosions of the little stick soldiers when you destroy them. Anihilating the approaching armies requires a tap of each soldier. At the start of the game, this sends a destructive lightning bolt out from the top of the tower towards your man.

Depending on the length of the strike, the target will either be completely destroyed, or you may have just blown his legs off, allowing him to crawl on his arms. This was a nice touch that makes the game a tad unpredictable, as it is not guaranteed your foes will be killed.

Now of course, if the entire game was based around lightning bolts striking various amount of stickmen, the game would become incredibly monotonous. It was therefore essential for an upgrade system to be implemented within the game, which thankfully it has. It is sad to report that the upgrade system is somewhat long and tiresome.

It will take you a long time to accquire every upgrade in the game, with weapons, health, as well as repairs and energy regeneration levels reaching up to level 100. Each level upgrade costs money which is gathered from destroying enemies and completing waves. I would guess it would take days of non-stop play to get all of the weapons and bonuses. Whilst some may look at this as a plus for the App, I view it as a negative, and it is just not a feasible system.

The feature I most enjoyed about the App was the variety of enemies available. At first, your basic stickmen are the attackers, but after awhile, you'll face various renditions of the standard figure which include the likes of stickmen holding explosive barrels to their own weaponry. The battlefield can become a real mess with various different units all over the place, but I see it as part of the fun. It adds life to what would otherwise be a plain and boring environment.

Overall, Tesla Wars will keep you occupied an extremely long time, but as I pointed out before, that is not necessarily a good thing. If I were to update this App, I would suggest an improved upgrade system, because the exciting weaponry is not available until you have played for a long time. I believe that with the various weapons being more accessible, mixed with the already fantastic array of foes available, this Tower Defence game will become far more enjoyable.

Also posted by me at AppGamer.net

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.