GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Ideas"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 15:38
Regular
How do games designers come up with their ideas for games? I mean, where did Yuji Naka come up with the idea of Nights? There are so many crazy games out there, most being from Japanese - and they're so extraodinary, so completely different, possibly insane that all we can conclude is "only the Japanese could come up with that", we admire the game for it's originaluty, put it back in it's case and settle down for an evening of Gran Turismo 3 or the consumate fighting game. Fighters, racers - they don't take a lot of thinking up, hmmmm...

Maybe these creators of such immense titles like the Final Fantasy games, the Shenmue series and so forth - maybe they dream up some of their ideas - have you ever had such a vivid dream that you've thought - if only that was real! Then realise that if it was real, you'd probably be locked up, or killed and conclude that 'if only that could be a video game!'. A place where you can return to, whenever you like, at the touch of a button. Anyone played Myst or Riven? These games are absolutely amazing - seriously, they're in their own obscure and wonderful little genre, and yet we don't hear much of them - maybe they were the results of someone's dream.

When you've finally decided that asking the question "What's better, a game, or a dream?" is going to take too long to answer, you could think about the possibilty of merging the two. Yes we've had some incredible titles over the years, 'classics' as they're often known, but wouldn't it be great if some games were as spontaneous and as diverse as a dream that you've had, and wanted never to wake up from, I think it would.

Playing Fifa 2002, getting bored with the same repetitive gameplay, you get bored of playing football - it'd be interesting if a few fans leapt onto the pitch, kidknapped you and the game became a mixture of a beat 'em up, adventure and a car chase - then whilst you're recovering, you could put in a few rounds of golf, maybe go shopping, like in Shenmue, and return to playing a 3-4-1-2 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the snow with Penalties if no one scores - you wouldn't expect that would you?

I'll be the first to admit that I've had some pretty strange dreams - some have been absolutely terrifying that I just had to subconciously awaken myself, I've had dreams where I've not wanted to wake up, sometimes because the dream felt like reality, maybe gaming is one way to make our dreams become reality, albeit in a virtual sense.

I don't really feel that this nor anywhere else is the right place to explain some of my dreams in detail, or even in a summary - I can't explain many, but I'm sure I am not alone in wishing a dream came true. Ok, so I'm never be able to fly, but I might be able to if it was part of a video game - maybe a Console version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon would be a good idea?

Anyway, I've said plenty, in a game you can do what they allow you to do, maybe we should make 'them' allow us to do what we want for a change?

Read, Respond, Check, Repeat.

Dan :-)
Sat 15/12/01 at 15:38
How do games designers come up with their ideas for games? I mean, where did Yuji Naka come up with the idea of Nights? There are so many crazy games out there, most being from Japanese - and they're so extraodinary, so completely different, possibly insane that all we can conclude is "only the Japanese could come up with that", we admire the game for it's originaluty, put it back in it's case and settle down for an evening of Gran Turismo 3 or the consumate fighting game. Fighters, racers - they don't take a lot of thinking up, hmmmm...

Maybe these creators of such immense titles like the Final Fantasy games, the Shenmue series and so forth - maybe they dream up some of their ideas - have you ever had such a vivid dream that you've thought - if only that was real! Then realise that if it was real, you'd probably be locked up, or killed and conclude that 'if only that could be a video game!'. A place where you can return to, whenever you like, at the touch of a button. Anyone played Myst or Riven? These games are absolutely amazing - seriously, they're in their own obscure and wonderful little genre, and yet we don't hear much of them - maybe they were the results of someone's dream.

When you've finally decided that asking the question "What's better, a game, or a dream?" is going to take too long to answer, you could think about the possibilty of merging the two. Yes we've had some incredible titles over the years, 'classics' as they're often known, but wouldn't it be great if some games were as spontaneous and as diverse as a dream that you've had, and wanted never to wake up from, I think it would.

Playing Fifa 2002, getting bored with the same repetitive gameplay, you get bored of playing football - it'd be interesting if a few fans leapt onto the pitch, kidknapped you and the game became a mixture of a beat 'em up, adventure and a car chase - then whilst you're recovering, you could put in a few rounds of golf, maybe go shopping, like in Shenmue, and return to playing a 3-4-1-2 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the snow with Penalties if no one scores - you wouldn't expect that would you?

I'll be the first to admit that I've had some pretty strange dreams - some have been absolutely terrifying that I just had to subconciously awaken myself, I've had dreams where I've not wanted to wake up, sometimes because the dream felt like reality, maybe gaming is one way to make our dreams become reality, albeit in a virtual sense.

I don't really feel that this nor anywhere else is the right place to explain some of my dreams in detail, or even in a summary - I can't explain many, but I'm sure I am not alone in wishing a dream came true. Ok, so I'm never be able to fly, but I might be able to if it was part of a video game - maybe a Console version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon would be a good idea?

Anyway, I've said plenty, in a game you can do what they allow you to do, maybe we should make 'them' allow us to do what we want for a change?

Read, Respond, Check, Repeat.

Dan :-)
Tue 18/12/01 at 18:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
There is apparently gunna be a 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' game on the GameCube. I read it in NGC #61, and it's in development for the future I think?

I don't know what it'd be like as I haven't seen the film yet. And most film-game trnsformations aren't always that good. I think the fight scenes would be good though, just like I hope 'The Matrix's scenes will be, on the X-box and if it is released for GameCube.
Tue 18/12/01 at 18:30
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that many game ideas come from people that have wierd dreams and wild imaginations, like kids! This is where Surrealists get their ideas for art from, and I think it could be the same with game designers.

If not, then I really do wonder where they get the game ideas from??? Where do you come up with name's like 'Ganandorf' or 'Bowser'?? I know that some of these names are chosen because of their meanings. Even 'f 'Zelda' means 'female warrior'!
Wed 19/12/01 at 12:16
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
> I think that many game ideas come from people that have wierd dreams and wild
> imaginations, like kids! This is where Surrealists get their ideas for art from,
> and I think it could be the same with game designers.

If not, then I really
> do wonder where they get the game ideas from??? Where do you come up with name's
> like 'Ganandorf' or 'Bowser'?? I know that some of these names are chosen
> because of their meanings. Even 'f 'Zelda' means 'female warrior'!

A bowser is a fuel truck used in aviation - you can see 'em at airports - they're the big yellow ones. I spose there's the whole fire connotation going on there.
So there you go.
Sat 09/02/02 at 10:31
Regular
I've played Myst & Riven and I thought they were brilliant. I loved the way I could enter into a completely new and mysterious world and I didn't have a clue what was going on (especially at the beginning). The way the story and history of the islands slowly unfolded through exploration and puzzle solving was excellent.

The best game ideas are the ones that drop the gamer into places and worlds that are mysterious and have secrets to discover. That's what it's all about if you ask me.
Sat 09/02/02 at 11:29
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Jonman, I saw one of those truck things the other day, and I agree that it is like Bowser!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.