GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it a good idea to jailbreak your iPod Touch 4G? (Jailbreaking is legal in the US)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/06/11 at 22:15
"The Videogame King"
IMPORTANT NOTE: I read that jailbreaking your iPod Touch is legal in the United States.

I've read lots of things about jailbreaking (first, to make sure it was legal). Some users jailbreaking is great, some say it screwed up their iPod Touch or iPhone. I have an iPod Touch 4G version 4.3.3, I beleive some things I read said that some people who tried to jailbreak their iPod Touch using this version got a message that their iPod version was "too new". Jailbroken iPods can do lots of cool stuff, but I didn't want to take any chances because I paid a lot of money for my iPod and I love it.

Bottom line, can anybody answer these questions:

What are the benefits and/or pros and cons of jailbreaking?

Will jailbreaking screw up your iPod?

Will it delete anything?

Can you still do all the things you would be able to do on an unjailbroken iPod?

What are the best tools for jailbreaking?

Any help appreciated, thank you!
(remember, jailbreaking is legal where I live)
Sun 05/06/11 at 18:08
Regular
"How Ironic"
pb wrote:
Which leads me to another issue: I'm still looking for people to help with writing news and reviews (games for free!) on my site for iOS and Mac App Store games.

I'll be at hand anytime after the 24th June (last exam) if I am required :)
Sun 05/06/11 at 17:50
"possibly impossible"
My main issue was that there was really no other App I wanted on the Cydia store or elsewhere that I couldn't get on Apple's own store.

I don't like the piracy issue because you need to support developers and you can't complain when most apps are between 59p and £2.99.

Besides, I don't pay for most of my games anyway. All I have to do is spend some time reviewing them.

Which leads me to another issue: I'm still looking for people to help with writing news and reviews (games for free!) on my site for iOS and Mac App Store games.
Sun 05/06/11 at 14:19
Regular
"How Ironic"
I've experienced several heat issues plus crashes. Of course if it kills my iPod there's no point crying to Apple about it. They'll just respond "Serves you right". On the flipside, I've got about 20 pages of apps. Never too sure about hackers though. Geohot is helping people with iPods, the next minute he's accused of bringing down PSN for a month. Have to be careful.
Sun 05/06/11 at 13:28
"possibly impossible"
You are right, a court of law has ruled that Jailbreaking is technically legal as it doesn't amend the OS, it adds another on top.

Jailbreaking the iPhone or iPod Touch is also a lot easier than similar operations on other consoles with less chance of 'bricking' (jamming up) the device.

The advantages are that you can install apps from the Cydia app store, use flash and apps that Apple don't like, as well as different MP3 players and full access to store items on the device like a hard drive, accessing the files on the device.

Obviously, it will also play hacked games, which IS still illegal.

I've jailbroken several devices and every time returned to Apples OS. Despite its restrictions, it's still the most stable and neat interface.
Sat 04/06/11 at 23:36
Regular
"How Ironic"
On these forums, the answer will always be "No", seeing as it's illegal.
Sat 04/06/11 at 22:15
"The Videogame King"
IMPORTANT NOTE: I read that jailbreaking your iPod Touch is legal in the United States.

I've read lots of things about jailbreaking (first, to make sure it was legal). Some users jailbreaking is great, some say it screwed up their iPod Touch or iPhone. I have an iPod Touch 4G version 4.3.3, I beleive some things I read said that some people who tried to jailbreak their iPod Touch using this version got a message that their iPod version was "too new". Jailbroken iPods can do lots of cool stuff, but I didn't want to take any chances because I paid a lot of money for my iPod and I love it.

Bottom line, can anybody answer these questions:

What are the benefits and/or pros and cons of jailbreaking?

Will jailbreaking screw up your iPod?

Will it delete anything?

Can you still do all the things you would be able to do on an unjailbroken iPod?

What are the best tools for jailbreaking?

Any help appreciated, thank you!
(remember, jailbreaking is legal where I live)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.