GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PCs. Last of a dying breed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/12/01 at 20:44
Regular
I think that I am in a very small minority when I think that PC gaming is better than console gaming. Sure consoles are great, but look at PlayStation games now and compare them to PC games.

I haven't bought a PC (or been given one) for about five years; instead I upgrade it. You can't upgrade consoles because they aren't made for that; and it is obvious they suffer from it. The main reason I prefer PC gaming is because it supports all genres. A lot of the best console games come out on PC, providing they aren't first or second party, and the PC can easily handle graphics to match or better that of a top of the range games console. What I also think is much better about PCs is that no matter what specs, if your computer isn't too old it can play a game. And if you invest the money, you can get great performance out of it.

Very few people my age play PC games, instead going with consoles. I try to dissuade them, but they just rip the PC on totally insignificant grounds. 'Oh, games always crash'. Not true, they'll only crash if your PC isn't too good or the specs aren't right. Otherwise, they'll crash as much as any console game. 'The games are boring'. Again, not true, because all their favourites (Tony Hawk, MGS, Final Fantasy) are on the PC, all with vastly improved graphics. Plus, the addition of keyboard makes playing shooters and strategy games much easier than fooling around with an 'ergonomic' (PS2) joypad.

The console market is steadily growing, and the PC market is rapidly declining in younger users. This creates a very tight market, being among the 20-30 year olds. And it shows, because many developers are developing games for consoles instead of the PC (cue Halo).

I'm just curious to see if there is anyone else out there who actually plays PC games more than console games. Currently, I am absorbed in Civilisation 3 and Champ. Manager. They are two of the best games ever, but in this restricted market are likely to do very poorly.

Don't have prejudice, because the PC is a killer machine.
Sat 15/12/01 at 13:44
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
32/64 bit consoles and PCs are incomparable. Firstly, there are too many different specifications for computer and different makes, where there is only one (officially) Playstation or Nintendo 64. Also, computers are different on so many different levels.

On computers, you can play watch TV, listen to live webcasts or download the latest album, along with playing Counterstrike until 3 'o clock in the morning. PCs are really only comparable with next-generation consoles, as they sport the photo-realistic graphics, flawless sound and internet access.

There's no point trying to compare PS1/N64 with a PC, or we'd be here all week.
Sat 15/12/01 at 13:22
Regular
"¬_¬"
Asphalt wrote:
> the thing with a pc is its unreliable. but good for stratgy games. but
> consoles you just stick the game in and play (except with the xbox, where you
> still have to install), and you can play muti play alot easier.

you don't have to install games on the XBox. You can upload files to make it run quicker, but you don't need to install the game.
Fri 14/12/01 at 21:31
Regular
"Digging!"
the thing with a pc is its unreliable. but good for stratgy games. but consoles you just stick the game in and play (except with the xbox, where you still have to install), and you can play muti play alot easier.
Fri 14/12/01 at 19:02
Regular
"¬_¬"
big_slow wrote:
> i myself support console gaming. afterall the consoles are especially made for
> games and at the moment they are selling much more games.

That's because if people don't know much about PCs, but want games, they'll buy a console because they're cheap and quite reliable, and as you say they are made for games. But, next gen consoles are also made for DVD, Internet etc. Thats why I'm going for Nintendo; they are the pure deal, games ONLY.
Fri 14/12/01 at 18:23
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I don't really see the PC as comparable to any games consoles. It's a different way of playing games, and it has a fair amount of disadvantages as well as the advantages.

The one thing I disagree with is the fact that to play the latest games you HAVE to upgrade your PC, which can be costly.

At least with consoles you aren't forced to upgrade to play the newest and best games.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy playing games on my PC and it is great in many ways. The PC and games consoles are very VERY different machines though.
Fri 14/12/01 at 18:02
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
>The main reason I prefer PC gaming is because it supports >all genres

not true there are no good beat em ups on the PC plus there are no real Arcade like racers or anything else like that.

The pc is good for FPS and stragy type games and for some reason i quite like rally games on the pc as there a little better but for everything else i like the consoles better. there better when you've got a load of mates round just plug in and switch on plus a pc will crash at some point nor matter how good your console is. it's very unlikly your console will crash at all.

just my 2 pence worth
Fri 14/12/01 at 18:01
and as games get better you are FORCED to upgrade, some new gsmes dont work on my mates fairly new PC, he dont want the certain sound or graphics upgrade he HAS TO buy.

with consoles everything works with everything and they will never make it so that u have to upgrade. nintendo had some expansion pack only games but stleast they were only a few and they made some good game that dont need expansion
Fri 14/12/01 at 17:56
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Which returns to the issue of cost and whether or not people want to do this - as someone said, you have to spend money upgrading PCs, which can become a problem. What if this became true of consoles as well? Would you embrace the improvements, looking at how much better it made the games look and accept it, or would you use the argument that's currently up agianst PCs - we shouldn't have to upgrade to get the most out of games.

I could rattle off several pages of PCs vs Consoles out of my head...anything new to add to the issue?
Fri 14/12/01 at 17:53
bythe way, it is the future and you CAN upgrade consoles. N64 went up to 8MB (the expansion) and crapbox and ps2 have capable.
Fri 14/12/01 at 17:51
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Much as I love counter-strike, I wish a new game would come along so people could stop saying "look at half-life"; it's not even a PC exclusive any more, it's years old, and it's a danm good argument against PCs that it's the best game we can come up with..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.