GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best! Multiplayer!! Ever!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 14:00
Regular
Multiplayer gaming rules. A two to four player game can produce so many laughs amongst friends, and is a completely different experience from single player gaming.

Here's my favourite multiplayer console games of all time, in no particular order.

Street Fighter 2: Turbo Edition (SNES): With 12 characters to choose form there was always a great deal of variety in our fights. The characters were all great, from Zangief to Vega they were all quite different (except Ken and Ryu!) The special moves were pretty simple to pull off too, and you didn't come away with a sore thumb!

Bomberman (SNES): This game is so devilishly simple, yet so addictive. I think what made it great was that you could easily grab a few power-ups and catch out the more experienced players. With 4 people all dropping bombs on a relatively small play area it become very frantic, as you'd scramble for a safe spot to stand. Excellent entertainment!

Super Mario Kart (SNES): This was so differnet from other racing games around at the time, and has been the reason for dozens of copycats too. Racing against friends was fun, taking them out with the fantasic range of items, but there was also the battle mode, in which you had 3 ballons on your kart, and had to pop all of your opponents ballons! The levels were great, and it so refreshing.

Mario Kart 64 (N64): I reckon the tracks on Mario Kart 64 are superior to the ones on the SNES, some will disagree. Also, the items have developed in this game, to give more variety. The battle mode isn't nearly as good, but who cares when the racing is so fine?

Goldeneye (N64): Th edeathmatches in this game are amazing. The levels are superb, with plenty of hiding or sniping places, but not so big that you wander around for 10 minutes without finding each other! The weapons are great, and you get to be Baron Samedi. What more could you ask for?

Mario Tennis (N64): Nintendo seem to have taken the excellent physics from Super Tennis on the SNES, and added the personalities of a bunch of our favourite Nintendo characters. The tennis really is spot on, you can have you're opponent running all over the court, and play some fantastically realistic shots, and still have Wario laughing when he beats you! Excellent! The doubles matches are great, the extra width in the courts is used to the full, and you can have some really lengthy rallies. Great fun!

Mario Party 2 (N64): I love this game. Basically it's like a board game, with mini games thrown in at the end of each round of turns. What's great about the board game is the way you can pick up items to help you, like a lantern that takes you right to the star, but my favourite thing on the board is Boo, who you can pay to steal coins or a star from an opponent. Excellent! The mini games are great too. Some will have you co-operating with other players, others are all against all. there's so much variety in them too, from button bashers to counting games. Great fun!

There. They are some of my favourite multiplayer games. Yours?
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Whatever!"
Goldeneye or Perfect Dark - I cant decide!!
Wed 12/12/01 at 17:09
Regular
"¬_¬"
Tony Hawks 3 has got a really kick online multi-player. Modem costs too much, but my dad got me a usb thingymajig from his work :)
Wed 12/12/01 at 16:58
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Dr nebster crippen wrote:
> Goldeneye.

My goodness..... the thought you must have put into that post. You should be a notable - actually, i guess you are Not-Able already
:D
Wed 12/12/01 at 16:19
Regular
"I confused?"
Goldeneye.
Wed 12/12/01 at 16:03
Regular
yes...that is supposed to say Wrestlemania 2000 on the top...must be just looking forward to the gamecube version too much!
Wed 12/12/01 at 16:01
Regular
WWF Wrestlmania 2002 (N64)

Techincially No mercy is the better game, but is spoiled by slowdown.

Anyway, me and my mates used to bunk whole days to bust out some action on Wrestlmania and Goldeneye.

Goldeneye for the blatent reasons, is there anyone here who dislikes it?

Now wrestlmania was very very specail to me. We all had our own created characters, the conection we had with them could never be explained in writing so i aint gonna try. just a breif description of them. They were called Original A, JD (our sports teacher), and Master Lee.

There were somthin really strange about them, as if they all had different characters unique to them. Really weird things that you have no contral over. JD used to shake all the time for some strange reason...really weird and he always seem to go on suicide missions.

Master Lee was the whipping boy. All of us used to give him proper hard beats, but he always got up and came back for more, never a man to back down.

Then there was my character Original A, his specialality were headbuts form the top ropes. Proper gangsta, had the hulk hogen "real american" theme music :D

I dunno how well you can visualise that, but Wrestlemania gave to me the best most fun multiplayer experience ever. Its not the same for eveyone, becasue my multiplayer heaven was made by the create a wrestler mode and everytime you create a wrestler you get somthin different. Thats probably why No mercy didnt have the same effect on me, becasue we could never create characters to the same degree of bad-boy styleeee as on wrestlemania.
Wed 12/12/01 at 15:56
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Multiplayer games are great, it's annoying when you get a class game but it only has a two player mode, like Tony Hawks or 1080* snowboarding, most of my favourite multiplayer games are on older systems like the MasterSystem and the Nes but the games don't seem to work much anymore so I stick to my N64, but Meka pointed those out, I still think Goldeneye's better than Perfect dark for multiplayer, although there are a lot of fine mods and it's annoying that you can't just hold the A button ans select a weapon, you have to run through them all.

Super Smah Bro's is another great game, I love fighting games, but this is for 4 people at one time, I havn't found anything else like that + it has loads of cool character's from Nintendo games!

I think any sports game is great to play against friends, Basketball is top of my mate's list at the moment, slamming the ball into the net has never been so much fun.

Also i'm getting more into playing my GBA on 4 player, the games are much better + your mates can't see where you've hidden, it's more like playing a game online + the GB never made any good use of the link cable.
Wed 12/12/01 at 15:46
Regular
Meka found most of mine but there's one or two that he missed.

Smash Brothers is definately one of the best multiplayer games around!

Instead of simply knocking your opponents out, you have to knock them off the arena, the more damage they have, the further they fly.

The moves aren't complex and there's no serious combo's but that's the beauty of the game.
It's not your average "Learn and perfect button combinations to win the game".
It's spontaneous skill using quick wit.

Each character is judged perfectly and there's loads of ways of fighting.
It also has plenty of platforming and lots of manauvering.

You even get to use Light Sabers and Pokeballs from with a monster comes out to help you batter your opponent.

Anyone who calls it a button basher hasn't played it properly enough.

The other multiplayer game is one I've found through Snes Emulation.

Super Mario Brothers 3 - The Battle Game (also featured in Mario Advance) is quite a neat multiplayer game.

Remember classic Mario Brother's (on the Atari!!) where you had to bumb turtles from below and then jump up to kick their overturned shells off?
Well it's like that, only you can jump on some turtles to kick their shells at your opponents, you can win by collecting coins, and you're aiming to beat your opponent rather than the animals.
Wed 12/12/01 at 14:53
Regular
Here's a few of mine

Perfect Dark: 4 player games of this are just heaven itself, more options than you can shake a big gun at, it lasts you for ages.

Mario Kart 64: another 4 player classic, good track design, good weapons hell it's a good game.

Mario Party 3: Wicked fun, a lot like Mario Party 2 but it's got 70 new mini games, tons of new features, the perfect game to play when you're drunk.

Turok Rage Wars: yet again a classic 4 player game, clunky controls at first but when you get used to them this game rocks. Full of gory battles and suitably over powered guns.

WWF NO mercy: The best sweaty Wrestler out there, 4 player kicks some serious butt.
Wed 12/12/01 at 14:51
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Meka_Dragon wrote:

Bomberman (SNES): This game is so devilishly simple, yet so addictive. I think what made it great was that you could easily grab a few power-ups and catch out the more perienced players. With 4 people all dropping bombs on a relatively small play area it become very frantic, as you'd scramble for a safe spot to stand. Excellent entertainment!

Super Mario Kart (SNES): This was so differnet from other racing games around at the time, and has been the reason for dozens of copycats too. Racing against friends was fun, taking them out with the fantasic range of items, but there was also the battle mode, in which you had 3 ballons on your kart, and had to pop all of your opponents ballons! The levels were great, and it so refreshing.

Goldeneye (N64): The deathmatches in this game are amazing. The levels are superb, with plenty of hiding or sniping places, but not so big that you wander around for 10 minutes without finding each other! The weapons are great, and you get to be Baron Samedi. What more could you ask for?

These are the ones i like most. I have spent countless hours on these games. In fact, my favourite game of all time is mario kart on the SNES.

I don't think i can add any other real classics for multiplayer... played donkey kong country through with my brother (about 10 times) in two player but wouldn't call it a classic multiplayer game!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.