GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"3DS Launch Details"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/01/11 at 17:28
"possibly impossible"
We've just had the European and US Launch events for the new Nintendo 3DS. The European event was hosted by Jonathan Ross and webcast live on Nintendo's site.

Here are the details from that event, typed out as I saw them...

Release Dates and Prices
Japan - February 26th - 25,000 Yen

Europe - March 25th - didn't want to say price but has been released to retailers. So far retail prices range from £196 (Gamegears) to £229.99 (GAME's press release)

US -March 27th - $250

Tour
From February Nintendo will be going around Europe showing 3DS to as many people as possible. Details on Nintendo website.

3DS Main Features
-Bigger Top Screen
-3D camera on outside
-2D on inside
-Analogue stick
-2GB SD card included
-DS compatible
-Spot Pass and Street Pass (see below)
- 5 hour battery life (when on low brightness

Single Friend Codes
The DS and Wii have different friend codes for some games, annoying many online gamers. 3DS only has one Friend Code needed for online play, no matter what one game. Like XBL or PSN the connected players list can show what the friend is playing and when they were online.

Spot Pass
In the UK, this connects to BT Fon hotspots even when in sleep mode (no word on whether you need to pay for the Fon hotspots or not). Little light on outside to show when new content (game downloads, video content, news etc)

Eurosport 3D sports videos for download (free possibly)

Sky deal (still TBA)

Ardman Animations involved: Shawn The Sheep 1 minute 3D shorts via Spot Pass

Street Pass
3DS automatically exchanges information (game information) with other players even in sleep mode and Mii Characters get exchanged with people you pass and where they come from. Can be used to play against them automatically.

Pre-loaded Software (all compatible with Street Pass)
- Activity Log - tells you time played, places played etc
- 3D camera tools, mess about with your 3D pics
- Augmented Reality tools, card included to place on a surface.
- Mii Maker - like on the Wii, but can use a camera to take a
picture
with your face used to make the Mii.
- Face Raiders game
- Enhanced Internet Browser and E-Shop (downloadable after
launch)

E-Shop
Nintendo Gameboy, GBC and GBA titles for download. Many classics available at launch. Will also include current Nintendo Shop Downloads and should be able to transfer some purchases from DSi across.

Games announced on Stage
Capcom - Street Fighter IV 3D Edition.
While playing you will get fighter figurines. Can set them for Street Pass to have automated vs battles between them. Online worldwide play. Local Play. Channel Live - watch other people battle. 35 Character including new ones and classics.

Ubisoft - 8 Games for Launch
Rayman, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Combat of Giants Dinosaurs, Asphalt 3D, Rabbids, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Driver

PES 3D
3D PES game, trailer shows off some good graphics, looked like a good PS2 game, quality-wise.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions
All new 3D game, stunning graphics. Highlights/best of all Dead or Alive games in one little cartridge. Internet, local, Street Pass and Co-op play included.

Nintendo 1st Party titles
-Pilot Wings - Includes a passive mode just to float around like Wii Sports Resort.
-Nintendogs - Dogs AND Cats. Fur looks a lot better and wide variations in size and body to make your pet more unique. Recognises your face.
-Steel Diver - Submarine sim first seen as a DS tech demo.
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 3D graphics, new levels, redesigned.
- Kid Icarus 3D
- Brief shot of Mario Kart and other titles, but not thought to be launch titles, still TBC.
Mon 24/01/11 at 10:53
Regular
"And in last place.."
The price of the games looks like it is going to rival home console systems. The handheld games were always that bit cheaper but with the handhelds becoming more like the home consoles, this price difference will no doubt start to reduce. It's another consideration to buying the console.

I am very interested in this but I'd have to sell the PSP Go in order to buy one and then I'd go from having 15 games on my handheld to having 1. Common sense has to win... still very tempted towards an iPod Touch,reckon I can stretch to a few 59p games.
Mon 24/01/11 at 09:53
"possibly impossible"
I think price is going to be an issue for many people. Because it's Nintendo, I'm still interested, but on the other hand I'm wondering how much I'd really play it. I've pre-ordered but I'm still deciding whether to get it or not.
Thu 20/01/11 at 09:36
Regular
"And in last place.."
Really want one but sadly the price is out of my budget and then I'd have games to buy for it too. I might just have to settle for trying to save for an iPod Touch instead.
Wed 19/01/11 at 17:28
"possibly impossible"
We've just had the European and US Launch events for the new Nintendo 3DS. The European event was hosted by Jonathan Ross and webcast live on Nintendo's site.

Here are the details from that event, typed out as I saw them...

Release Dates and Prices
Japan - February 26th - 25,000 Yen

Europe - March 25th - didn't want to say price but has been released to retailers. So far retail prices range from £196 (Gamegears) to £229.99 (GAME's press release)

US -March 27th - $250

Tour
From February Nintendo will be going around Europe showing 3DS to as many people as possible. Details on Nintendo website.

3DS Main Features
-Bigger Top Screen
-3D camera on outside
-2D on inside
-Analogue stick
-2GB SD card included
-DS compatible
-Spot Pass and Street Pass (see below)
- 5 hour battery life (when on low brightness

Single Friend Codes
The DS and Wii have different friend codes for some games, annoying many online gamers. 3DS only has one Friend Code needed for online play, no matter what one game. Like XBL or PSN the connected players list can show what the friend is playing and when they were online.

Spot Pass
In the UK, this connects to BT Fon hotspots even when in sleep mode (no word on whether you need to pay for the Fon hotspots or not). Little light on outside to show when new content (game downloads, video content, news etc)

Eurosport 3D sports videos for download (free possibly)

Sky deal (still TBA)

Ardman Animations involved: Shawn The Sheep 1 minute 3D shorts via Spot Pass

Street Pass
3DS automatically exchanges information (game information) with other players even in sleep mode and Mii Characters get exchanged with people you pass and where they come from. Can be used to play against them automatically.

Pre-loaded Software (all compatible with Street Pass)
- Activity Log - tells you time played, places played etc
- 3D camera tools, mess about with your 3D pics
- Augmented Reality tools, card included to place on a surface.
- Mii Maker - like on the Wii, but can use a camera to take a
picture
with your face used to make the Mii.
- Face Raiders game
- Enhanced Internet Browser and E-Shop (downloadable after
launch)

E-Shop
Nintendo Gameboy, GBC and GBA titles for download. Many classics available at launch. Will also include current Nintendo Shop Downloads and should be able to transfer some purchases from DSi across.

Games announced on Stage
Capcom - Street Fighter IV 3D Edition.
While playing you will get fighter figurines. Can set them for Street Pass to have automated vs battles between them. Online worldwide play. Local Play. Channel Live - watch other people battle. 35 Character including new ones and classics.

Ubisoft - 8 Games for Launch
Rayman, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Combat of Giants Dinosaurs, Asphalt 3D, Rabbids, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Driver

PES 3D
3D PES game, trailer shows off some good graphics, looked like a good PS2 game, quality-wise.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions
All new 3D game, stunning graphics. Highlights/best of all Dead or Alive games in one little cartridge. Internet, local, Street Pass and Co-op play included.

Nintendo 1st Party titles
-Pilot Wings - Includes a passive mode just to float around like Wii Sports Resort.
-Nintendogs - Dogs AND Cats. Fur looks a lot better and wide variations in size and body to make your pet more unique. Recognises your face.
-Steel Diver - Submarine sim first seen as a DS tech demo.
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 3D graphics, new levels, redesigned.
- Kid Icarus 3D
- Brief shot of Mario Kart and other titles, but not thought to be launch titles, still TBC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.