GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube is good, but who knows it?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/12/01 at 19:35
Regular
10 years ago Nintendo were the cream of the console market. The SNES was making a killing, and the Game Boy had done so well that a successor to it was guaranteed. Nintendo's only real competition, Sega, was doing poorly with its Saturn, so for Nintendo the future looked prosperous. However, in 1994, a new kid on the block arrived, and he was a much harder and more appealing bloke.

Sony's grey box out did Nintendo in almost every way, except perhaps in game quality and innovation. The N64, while being a great console, just didn't sell well because punters preferred Sony's machine. Cartridges weren't popular, and the cost of them was put simply, ludicrous.

Now Nintendo have come along with another great console, but this time on CDs which means games will be a lot cheaper. There will be a wide library of games, the console itself will be cheap, and the technology is streaks ahead of Sony's. But because of such negative Nintendo hype over the past few years, Nintendo looks as though it will still fail to deliver to so many people as the SNES did.

I would hate to see another catastrophe of Sega's proportion, but luckily Nintendo has the hand held market on its side, along with Pokemon, so it won't go down without a fight.

But speaking to my friends, they all hate Nintendo for some unknown reason. They say the games are kiddy, but there are just as many kiddy games as there are games appealing to older age groups. They all love Sony, but half the PS2 games are also going to be on GameCube, XBox or PC as well. I am really getting annoyed at the increasing unnecessary rip-taking of the mighty Nintendo, and want people to wake up to the fact that Nintendo is a really great manufacturer and game developer.

Ignore the bad vibes; Nintendo absolutely rocks.
Tue 04/12/01 at 19:35
Regular
"¬_¬"
10 years ago Nintendo were the cream of the console market. The SNES was making a killing, and the Game Boy had done so well that a successor to it was guaranteed. Nintendo's only real competition, Sega, was doing poorly with its Saturn, so for Nintendo the future looked prosperous. However, in 1994, a new kid on the block arrived, and he was a much harder and more appealing bloke.

Sony's grey box out did Nintendo in almost every way, except perhaps in game quality and innovation. The N64, while being a great console, just didn't sell well because punters preferred Sony's machine. Cartridges weren't popular, and the cost of them was put simply, ludicrous.

Now Nintendo have come along with another great console, but this time on CDs which means games will be a lot cheaper. There will be a wide library of games, the console itself will be cheap, and the technology is streaks ahead of Sony's. But because of such negative Nintendo hype over the past few years, Nintendo looks as though it will still fail to deliver to so many people as the SNES did.

I would hate to see another catastrophe of Sega's proportion, but luckily Nintendo has the hand held market on its side, along with Pokemon, so it won't go down without a fight.

But speaking to my friends, they all hate Nintendo for some unknown reason. They say the games are kiddy, but there are just as many kiddy games as there are games appealing to older age groups. They all love Sony, but half the PS2 games are also going to be on GameCube, XBox or PC as well. I am really getting annoyed at the increasing unnecessary rip-taking of the mighty Nintendo, and want people to wake up to the fact that Nintendo is a really great manufacturer and game developer.

Ignore the bad vibes; Nintendo absolutely rocks.
Tue 04/12/01 at 19:54
SO true. But in the mean time I'm getting a PS2.
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Nintendo have kept their games 'kiddy' because it helps to sell to people of all ages. These games are fun, intersting and enjoyable for people of any age, despite the appearence and the fact that they may not be about randomly killing people, which is seen in Playstation and X-box games, that are only really suitable for an older age range.

And it looks as if the Nintendo are using their 'competition' against their rivals. They've already taken the WHOLE Resi Evil series from the PS, and are adding a new one as a series of Cube exclusives. They've also got Sega to join forces to increase their gaming ranges and interest Sega fans. And on the GameBoy Advance you can find an 'Advance' version of virtually every game you can find on the PS2 and X-box!!

I don't think Nintendo will have anything to worry about with the GameCube, except the possibility of running out of consoles in Europe, after the launch date. Meaning they'll have to mass produce Cubes and their games at an increased rate!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.