GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice Please - Buying an X360"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/11/10 at 17:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
So I'm finally going to 'get with the program' and am leaning towards getting an X360. I have a bunch of questions, which I could probably find the answers to online but hey, this will probably be quicker / easier and I'm sure you'll know many of the answers off hand anyway...

So:

1) I'm not too fussed about the whole Kinect thing - Maybe there will be some decent games utilising it in future, but from what I've seen so far it looks like the kind of Wii Sports style games. However, I've seen the new X360s say 'Kinect Ready'... Does this imply the older models aren't or is this just a ruse to try to get people to upgrade unnecessarily...?

2) Hard-Drive Space... I've also seen the new slimline 4GB X360 is pretty cheap, even brand new, but it has only 4GB. What is the hard-drive space actually used for? Obviously you've got save games on there, and I guess your Live Arcade downloads, etc. but I'm wondering what justifies the 250GB HDD (or even the 120GB one...)? So waht else goes on the disk, since I've heard that 4GB is pretty inadequate...

3) Anyone know where to pick one up cheap...? I don't mind second hand, but looking on Ebay a hell of a lot of them are broken, so wondering if there are any good deals around. Or, if the old 360s don't work with Kinect, is there likely to be a stream of cheap 2nd hand ones coming as people upgrade...? Linked to this, how worried should I be about the 360 dying on me? Should I just get a new one so I've got a warranty?

4) I know this will vary by game, but generally if you play games online, can you also have multiple people playing on the 360 at the same time... So for example, I've got a mate round, can we both play an online game against however many people with the two of us playing in splitscreen mode...? Probably the game I'm most interested in for this answer is Left 4 Dead 1/2, but also wondering if this is generally the case, or if it's never possible.

5) Does the X360 work with all old Xbox games? I've never had an Xbox of any variety, so an specifically interested to play through some stuff like the whole Halo series. I know various models of the PS3 have varying backwards compatibility, is this the case with the X360 too or will it play everything?

6) There are quite a lot of games I could get on the PC and haven't yet (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Dragon Age... My minds gone blank now - Oh yeah Left 4 Dead 1 & 2) - does all the DLC that you can get through Steam or wherever else for the PC versions usually surface on XBLive...? My instinct would be to go for the PC versions but I'd be more willing to try out the X360s if most of the 'extra' PC content is also available at the same sort of price to X360 owners.

I think that's enough for now. Any thoughts / help much appreciated!
Mon 31/01/11 at 01:18
Regular
ummm when buying ur xbox 360 old xbox games dont work on ur 360 i have tryed that.Also buy a wired controller so u wont have 2 keep changing batteries
Wed 10/11/10 at 22:38
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'm in two minds... I like the idea of the new one, it being quiet, more reliable, etc. But also thinking that a cheap second hand one might do me for a while and then the new ones will go down in price if I find I am actually spending a lot of time playing it. And if not I've not wasted lots of money on a shiny new box that I never use...

Hmm.

I've also been looking at some games I'm interested in. I never knew Rare re-made Perfect Dark for Xbox! I'd like to grab a hold of that and Perfect Dark Zero. I'm sure you can, but just to check, if you download games and stuff from Xbox Live and then get a new console I assume you can download the games onto the new hardware? (ie. the stuff you buy is linked to your account, not the hardware, a la Steam, so you can download it onto new hardware if you upgrade or whatever)

Anyway, looking on Ebay to see how cheap you can get old models for, but also mindful that the 250Gig new ones are only £200 and I'll get warranty + less power consumption + quieter. Hmm again.
Wed 10/11/10 at 14:32
"possibly impossible"
Personally, I'd say pay the extra and go for the Slim. Supposed to be much more reliable (and reliability is a big issue with 360s), more USB ports, looks nicer, is far quieter (ie doesn't sound like a hoover on a jumbo jet about to take off in a wind tunnel) and has a good sized Hard Drive too.

Yes, Kinect Ready means Kinect can plug straight in without a separate power supply.
Mon 08/11/10 at 18:33
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Thanks, very helpful.

Playing games online for free on the PC means having to pay for online on the 360 doesn't fill me with joy... However, the benefit of being able to take friends online when they're round makes it seem more worthwhile - Co-Op games especially.
Mon 08/11/10 at 18:07
Regular
"hulagadoo"
1) I've not really been following Kinect, but as far as I can remeber if you use it on an older 360 it requires a seperate power supply (I assuume this comes with it) and the new 360 doesn't require this. I guess an 'older' 360 is anything that isn't slim.

2) The hard drive is used for storing everything - game saves, demos, downloadable content, videos, music and even for installing games. Generally installing a game reduces loading times and although the disc still needs to be in your 360 you don't have to listen to it whirring away constantly. Bigger is obviously better here, I used to have a 20gig hard drive and was constanly having to delete installed games so I could get others on.

3)Bargain hunting isn't really my thing (find Pete) but I'd be very wary of purchasing one through the likes of ebay unless it was brand new, especially with the failure rate. I'd be a lot happier getting a full warranty even if it meant paying extra.

4)As you said it does vary, but many games allow you (providing you have xbox live gold) to use another controller and sign in as a guest. The majority of this is only for unranked or social playlists. I know both of the L4D games allow this. Another option is if your friend is also on xbox live gold then they can sign into their profile on your console and this opens up the ranked games ( not too sure which games allow this, I only know that Gears of War 2 does)

5) Not all original xbox games are back compatible, a list of the games that can be played is Here

6) Most DLC does appear on live. I don't know how it compares in terms of prices though. There are also some games that have xbox exclusive DLC, at least for a while. But I'm sure that's probably the same for some games on the PC.

Hope some of that helps a bit. Be sure to post your gamertag if/when you get one :)

[EDIT] Seems I've echo'd a fair bit of what Pete has said. His post wasn't there when I hit the reply button
Mon 08/11/10 at 18:04
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Cheers for the help!
Mon 08/11/10 at 17:53
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sibs wrote:
So I'm finally going to 'get with the program' and am leaning towards getting an X360. I have a bunch of questions, which I could probably find the answers to online but hey, this will probably be quicker / easier and I'm sure you'll know many of the answers off hand anyway...

So:

1) I'm not too fussed about the whole Kinect thing - Maybe there will be some decent games utilising it in future, but from what I've seen so far it looks like the kind of Wii Sports style games. However, I've seen the new X360s say 'Kinect Ready'... Does this imply the older models aren't or is this just a ruse to try to get people to upgrade unnecessarily...?

All Xbox 360's are 'Kinect Ready'

2) Hard-Drive Space... I've also seen the new slimline 4GB X360 is pretty cheap, even brand new, but it has only 4GB. What is the hard-drive space actually used for? Obviously you've got save games on there, and I guess your Live Arcade downloads, etc. but I'm wondering what justifies the 250GB HDD (or even the 120GB one...)? So waht else goes on the disk, since I've heard that 4GB is pretty inadequate...

4GB isn't really enough if you want to download stuff from Xbox Live.I would recommend a 60GB +.If all you are using it for is game saves then 4GB is plenty

3) Anyone know where to pick one up cheap...? I don't mind second hand, but looking on Ebay a hell of a lot of them are broken, so wondering if there are any good deals around. Or, if the old 360s don't work with Kinect, is there likely to be a stream of cheap 2nd hand ones coming as people upgrade...? Linked to this, how worried should I be about the 360 dying on me? Should I just get a new one so I've got a warranty?

I would be very wary of buying a second hand 360 (unless it came from a retailer such as GAME who offer a guarantee with them).I would also avoid older 360's there not the most reliable pieces of kit on the planet.

4) I know this will vary by game, but [I]generally
if you play games online, can you also have multiple people playing on the 360 at the same time... So for example, I've got a mate round, can we both play an online game against however many people with the two of us playing in splitscreen mode...? Probably the game I'm most interested in for this answer is Left 4 Dead 1/2, but also wondering if this is generally the case, or if it's never possible.

No mate,it's usually one player vs the world online or one on one local multiplayer via split screen.

5) Does the X360 work with all old Xbox games? I've never had an Xbox of any variety, so an specifically interested to play through some stuff like the whole Halo series. I know various models of the PS3 have varying backwards compatibility, is this the case with the X360 too or will it play everything?

Some original Xbox games play in the 360 some don't.There is a list (it's on Xbox.com I think) of games which will work.TBH though there is so much cheap stuff available for the 360 I doubt you'll bother much with original Xbox titles (Halo games do work in the 360).

6) There are quite a lot of games I could get on the PC and haven't yet (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Dragon Age... My minds gone blank now - Oh yeah Left 4 Dead 1 & 2) - does all the DLC that you can get through Steam or wherever else for the PC versions usually surface on XBLive...? My instinct would be to go for the PC versions but I'd be more willing to try out the X360s if most of the 'extra' PC content is also available at the same sort of price to X360 owners.

Most popular games do get supported with DLC via XBL,it's a major revenue stream for developers these days.Some of it is quite expensive though.

I think that's enough for now. Any thoughts / help much appreciated![/i]

No problem,hope this helps.Sorry for the rather vague answers I've done them very quickly on my way out.Would add though that the 360 is great console and I would recommend the new 250GB model if funds allow.
Mon 08/11/10 at 17:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"

So:

4) I know this will vary by game, but generally if you play games online, can you also have multiple people playing on the 360 at the same time... So for example, I've got a mate round, can we both play an online game against however many people with the two of us playing in splitscreen mode...? Probably the game I'm most interested in for this answer is Left 4 Dead 1/2, but also wondering if this is generally the case, or if it's never possible.

I think that's enough for now. Any thoughts / help much appreciated!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.