GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do you get your media?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/10/10 at 13:42
"possibly impossible"
There are so many ways to get music, games and films now, I wondered what the situation was with you lot on the forums?

Do you download?
If so, is it legal downloading from sites like iTunes or Amazon or is it through Torrents?
I used to Torrent everything, sad but true, but now I get my music from Amazon, Tesco or iTunes downloads when they're on offer or if I have a discount card. I think the idea of DL games is great but there just aren't enough titles on offer from the retail market. Films I still like to have as a physical copy but as streaming and communication between devices gets better then I will see myself changing to a digital format.

Do you buy in the shops?
If the prices are more expensive is it just because you want physical media or an impulse buy or don't like waiting for post?

I only ever buy when there's something that's too cheap or too much of a good offer to pass up. Mostly games and movies (blu-ray), never CDs.

Do you buy online?
Still my favourite way to get games and movies, the cost is a lot less and using sites like Quidco gives me money back.

So how about you?
Thu 21/10/10 at 23:01
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I prefer to go out to the shops and buy hard copies of everything.

I'm not a big fan of downloading stuff, that's why I hate the idea of using LIVE to start downloading games, which I think will happen in the not so distant future.

I only ever download something if it's something that isn't available to buy in stores. The last thing I downloaded was Chatterbox FM from the old GTA3 game. If it was available to buy in stores though I would have happily went out and bought it.

Cases, discs, manuals etc may take up a lot of shelf space, but at least it looks like you're actually getting something for your money.
Thu 21/10/10 at 20:27
"possibly impossible"
I've not bought a CD in years. Amazon/iTunes/Play and Tesco all have sales on where I can get MP3s cheaper. As I never look at the sleeve notes and now albums are coming with digital info for the iPhone I don't worry about packaging.

Movies are slightly different, but that's because there isn't one format that works on everything yet. If there was and the HD versions of films weren't so expensive I'd buy online.

I tried Lovefilm's streaming service which I can use on my Blu-ray and TV. It's a great idea but they just haven't got any new stuff.
Thu 21/10/10 at 19:37
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]Don't want to have my comment removed, but lets just say I don't buy any music and I don't buy some films.

Don't worry, we won't judge you ;)[/i]

But I might ;)
Thu 21/10/10 at 15:10
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
I also agree with Butch - when I buy music I prefer to have a physical CD rather than a collection of files on my pc. I don't feel I've actually bought anything otherwise (and I like reading the notes on the sleeve)

Very rarely buy any music from high street stores (they never have what i'm after) so it's pretty much hmv, play et al.

Similarly to others, DVD/BR I will get in shops if it's a good price otherwise I buy online, though if I want something I won't necessarily mind paying 'full' price for it.
Thu 21/10/10 at 14:27
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Pretty much what Butch said but replace LOST with BONES and football manager with anything not sports or war related :)
Wed 20/10/10 at 23:28
"possibly impossible"
Sonic Chris wrote:
Don't want to have my comment removed, but lets just say I don't buy any music and I don't buy some films.

Don't worry, we won't judge you ;)
Wed 20/10/10 at 15:50
Regular
"How Ironic"
Don't want to have my comment removed, but lets just say I don't buy any music and I don't buy some films.
Wed 20/10/10 at 15:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Mr and Mrs DL use 7-digital for music and I generally use Play, Amazon or Steam to buy games - this really depends on price and availabilty....and whether I want a physical copy.
Wed 20/10/10 at 15:13
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I've always preferred having a 'solid copy' of everything I own.

As most modern music is terrible I haven't bought an album for years. As I already own all the music I enjoy, this is unlikely to change. If I do hear a band or song I like, I will generally download it (torrent) with a view to buying the physical album if it appeals.

Any DVD/BR I am after I will buy online once the price is at a level I am willing to pay (i.e. I rarely buy newly released stuff unless I was really interested in it. LOST is a prime example). However, I will occasionally 'splurge on '3 for £10' offers when out shopping if the movies are those that I have enjoyed/didn't dislike.

99% of my computer games will come from online orders, again giving me the physical goods. The only exception to this is very rare instances when I have something else planned, the upcoming release of Football Manager 2011 is a prime example of this, where myself and 2 friends will be picking it up together in the morning and having a 'Football Manager Day' to celebrate.
Wed 20/10/10 at 15:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
Do you download?

Used to but no, I stream. Saves space and tends to be quicker.

Do you buy in the shops?

Tend to use Amazon for pretty much everything these days except 2nd hand games. It's cheaper and it saves me going out.

If the prices are more expensive is it just because you want physical media or an impulse buy or don't like waiting for post?

Given the choice I'll always avoid paying for something intangible.

I only ever buy when there's something that's too cheap or too much of a good offer to pass up. Mostly games and movies (blu-ray), never CDs.

I never buy things just because they're cheap and I never buy anything at full price because it's rarely worth it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.