GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Collections/Re-Releases"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/10/10 at 21:02
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Following the announcement of Prince of Persia Trilogy HD remake, it seems like even third parties are jumping on the remake bandwagon. Confirmed or released collections/re-releases include:

God of War Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
Prince of Persia Trilogy HD
Team Ico Collection
Tomb Raider Collection
Splinter Cell Collection HD

So, what do you think of these re-releases, a brilliant way of bringing slightly old games back to life for a newer generation of gamers, or a quick and easy way to sucker people out of more money? Would you appreciate that they stop doing this, or are you happy for the trend to continue? If you could choose, what other remakes from the previous generation (or two) would you like to see making it's way onto HD.

I personally am quite enjoying the collections, 10 games over the 4 confirmed remakes, and i'd only ever played one of them previously, and that was only on a 3 day rental.

I think if I had to choose any games to be remade as a collection, it'd be the Insomniac Spyro trilogy (as mentioned in my recent Mini Ninjas review).
Wed 06/10/10 at 21:02
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Following the announcement of Prince of Persia Trilogy HD remake, it seems like even third parties are jumping on the remake bandwagon. Confirmed or released collections/re-releases include:

God of War Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
Prince of Persia Trilogy HD
Team Ico Collection
Tomb Raider Collection
Splinter Cell Collection HD

So, what do you think of these re-releases, a brilliant way of bringing slightly old games back to life for a newer generation of gamers, or a quick and easy way to sucker people out of more money? Would you appreciate that they stop doing this, or are you happy for the trend to continue? If you could choose, what other remakes from the previous generation (or two) would you like to see making it's way onto HD.

I personally am quite enjoying the collections, 10 games over the 4 confirmed remakes, and i'd only ever played one of them previously, and that was only on a 3 day rental.

I think if I had to choose any games to be remade as a collection, it'd be the Insomniac Spyro trilogy (as mentioned in my recent Mini Ninjas review).
Wed 06/10/10 at 22:33
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ico and SotC in HD? Yes please.
And stating the obvious but Final Fantasy VII. Eventually it's going to happen, you can only ignore the demand for so long.
Thu 07/10/10 at 08:51
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I really don't think it will happen. They have said no so many times, and it is unlikely to make them the same amount of money that a sequel will.

If anything they may relent and make a FF7-2. But with the Advent film(s) pretty much telling the story it's hard to see where they will go with that.

And to stay on topic: ......yeah..
Thu 07/10/10 at 09:12
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Nin wrote:
Ico and SotC in HD? Yes please.

This. Oh so much, this.

I think collections are a great idea, if they are correctly priced as it does allow those that picked up a series late on (I wasn't really aware of God of War until I played GoWIII) to experience the whole thing. Nobody is going to pay 40-50 quid for 5 year old games though.
Thu 07/10/10 at 11:14
Regular
"And in last place.."
I like the idea of these collections and if sensibly priced they are a fine idea.

I'll be getting the Ico/SOTC pack and the Prince of Persia pack too, never did get round to playing the 2nd and 3rd PoP games.
Thu 07/10/10 at 16:52
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Butch wrote:
Nobody is going to pay 40-50 quid for 5 year old games though.

They will if they never played the original.
I've not actually seen what ICO looks like in HD. Has it just been polished a bit or totally rebuilt?

Warhunt wrote:
I really don't think it will happen. They have said no so many times, and it is unlikely to make them the same amount of money that a sequel will.

One of their main guys said they were looking into the possibility a few months ago. I really do believe it's inevitable, even if it takes to the 20th anniversary in 2017. It's been 13 years and people still haven't dropped this idea of a remake.
Fri 08/10/10 at 21:18
Regular
I thinks I'll be getting the SNES compilation Super Mario Allstars when it comes out over here...have also bought Sonic Mega Collection and Sega MegaDrive collection in the past...but they haven't been stupidly priced.
Sun 10/10/10 at 09:00
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
They're re-releasing Mario All-Starts? Brilliant, I had that when it was first brought out on the SNES. Think I still have it in the loft somewhere...
Sun 10/10/10 at 11:32
Regular
Aye, twas originally confirmed for Japan as part of the 25th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros...but I've read on one of the large gaming websites that the Swedish Nintendo of Europe website have confirmed a European release date - just before Christmas I believe :D

Edit> It's also on the UK website and I've now pre-ordered it from Game :)
Mon 20/12/10 at 19:43
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
A further announced HD collection for the PS3, Tomb Raider Collection with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld

Underworld is a little bit of a strange choice, in my opinion, with it already being a PS3 game and all (and therefore not being a HD remake, or even being particularly old). Tomb Raider Underworld also has the distinction of being the only announced game for a HD collection of the PS3 ones that I've actually played properly...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.