GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Field Commander (PSP)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Field Commander'.
Wed 30/05/07 at 12:11
Regular
"Captain to you."
I'm not really in to Real Time Strategy games to be honest, i find the whole build a base set up defenses and just amassing an army a bit on the boring side.

But i do enjoy Turn Based Tactics games, I'm not sure what it is that i like. i guess it's the planning your moves a bit more due to restricted distance of travel and the fact that you don't normally deal with hundreds of little men and vehicles.

There also seems to be a bit more of a balance with units in a TBT game, more like A can kill B, B can kill C, C can kill A. Rather than the normal i have so many tanks even a "mega" tank doesn't stand a chance.

I am a big fan of Advance Wars on the DS, it's a very simple game to understand but can provide many hours of entertainment. Field Commander is the PSP equivalent to Advance Wars only with a few extra bits thrown in for good measure, features that would have been so good to see in Advance Wars.

Now they aren't made by the same company but the similarities in the menus and even the basic gameplay is close enough that i had to check to make sure they were not form the same people as it would be easy to assume that they were. The major difference though is that Field Commander i full 3D and doesn't have a cartoony look to the units or levels.

The graphics are quite impressive on field commander but not the best that i have seen out of the PSP (MHP2nd as that title), they also give a bit of a gritty feel to the game and it seems to work well for it as it makes the landscape seem more like a battlefield.

To be honest i completely ignored this game when i first saw screenshots, it just looked like an RTS for the PSP and i hadn't considered that it was turn based and would be this entertaining. I really should read summaries of games on other websites more.

The game has you fighting on land, sea and air. This means that sticking to one isn't always the best course, it's important to have units for all situations but also not to over spend resources as it will leave you vulnerable should your main units get wiped out.

The basics of game play are, destroy all enemy units or capture their headquarters, along your way to their main base you will need to capture other buildings using your infantry to gain even more money each round, there are also other buildings like airports, shipyards and factories to capture which will allow you to buy men from that location so having the ability to spawn men halfway to the enemy is a great advantage.

So far i have just covered the basics and by now it should be sounding just like Advance Wars with different graphics, but Field Commander does have something extra it has Multiplayer and not just the normal Ad-hoc kind, it has infrastructure meaning that games being played across the Internet are possible.

There is a central lobby so you can see all games currently created and join ones that haven't started. But the main thing abut these kind of games is that they take a very long time to finish so really it's the sort of thing when you have a few hours spare and depending on your opponent it could take even longer.

There is another hand option called Transmission mode, this is kind of like when people play chess by email or letter, were they send their move and then you send one back and so on. So in Field Commander you send your turn and then when your opponent logs on he will receive it and then take his turn which will be sent back to you. This does mean that time isn't a factor as you could play a whole game over a week or more just doing a turn a day or just when ever you get the chance to get online.

Obviously at the moment these multiplayer modes aren't really that friendly for a portable system as it requires that you have the Internet where ever you are, but there is also the classic Ad-hoc mode which will allow two PSPs to connect to each other within a certain range, so for long car journeys or traveling in general it's a pretty good feature.

This is probably the one game where i thought it would be the complete opposite to what it is, i didn't have any expectations of liking it when i first tried it but it's grown on me and i can see it taking up a lot of time on my PSP. If you like Advance Wars and want something similar for your PSP then this is a must buy.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 30/05/07 at 12:11
Regular
"Captain to you."
I'm not really in to Real Time Strategy games to be honest, i find the whole build a base set up defenses and just amassing an army a bit on the boring side.

But i do enjoy Turn Based Tactics games, I'm not sure what it is that i like. i guess it's the planning your moves a bit more due to restricted distance of travel and the fact that you don't normally deal with hundreds of little men and vehicles.

There also seems to be a bit more of a balance with units in a TBT game, more like A can kill B, B can kill C, C can kill A. Rather than the normal i have so many tanks even a "mega" tank doesn't stand a chance.

I am a big fan of Advance Wars on the DS, it's a very simple game to understand but can provide many hours of entertainment. Field Commander is the PSP equivalent to Advance Wars only with a few extra bits thrown in for good measure, features that would have been so good to see in Advance Wars.

Now they aren't made by the same company but the similarities in the menus and even the basic gameplay is close enough that i had to check to make sure they were not form the same people as it would be easy to assume that they were. The major difference though is that Field Commander i full 3D and doesn't have a cartoony look to the units or levels.

The graphics are quite impressive on field commander but not the best that i have seen out of the PSP (MHP2nd as that title), they also give a bit of a gritty feel to the game and it seems to work well for it as it makes the landscape seem more like a battlefield.

To be honest i completely ignored this game when i first saw screenshots, it just looked like an RTS for the PSP and i hadn't considered that it was turn based and would be this entertaining. I really should read summaries of games on other websites more.

The game has you fighting on land, sea and air. This means that sticking to one isn't always the best course, it's important to have units for all situations but also not to over spend resources as it will leave you vulnerable should your main units get wiped out.

The basics of game play are, destroy all enemy units or capture their headquarters, along your way to their main base you will need to capture other buildings using your infantry to gain even more money each round, there are also other buildings like airports, shipyards and factories to capture which will allow you to buy men from that location so having the ability to spawn men halfway to the enemy is a great advantage.

So far i have just covered the basics and by now it should be sounding just like Advance Wars with different graphics, but Field Commander does have something extra it has Multiplayer and not just the normal Ad-hoc kind, it has infrastructure meaning that games being played across the Internet are possible.

There is a central lobby so you can see all games currently created and join ones that haven't started. But the main thing abut these kind of games is that they take a very long time to finish so really it's the sort of thing when you have a few hours spare and depending on your opponent it could take even longer.

There is another hand option called Transmission mode, this is kind of like when people play chess by email or letter, were they send their move and then you send one back and so on. So in Field Commander you send your turn and then when your opponent logs on he will receive it and then take his turn which will be sent back to you. This does mean that time isn't a factor as you could play a whole game over a week or more just doing a turn a day or just when ever you get the chance to get online.

Obviously at the moment these multiplayer modes aren't really that friendly for a portable system as it requires that you have the Internet where ever you are, but there is also the classic Ad-hoc mode which will allow two PSPs to connect to each other within a certain range, so for long car journeys or traveling in general it's a pretty good feature.

This is probably the one game where i thought it would be the complete opposite to what it is, i didn't have any expectations of liking it when i first tried it but it's grown on me and i can see it taking up a lot of time on my PSP. If you like Advance Wars and want something similar for your PSP then this is a must buy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.