GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is £100,000 enough to change your life?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/07 at 10:04
Regular
ALMOST two-thirds of Britons believe it would take a windfall of at least �100,000 to make a difference to their life, research today indicated.

A survey by National Savings and Investments (NS&I) found that 62 per cent of UK adults think a six figure sum would be needed to have a tangible impact on their lifestyle.

Amid the rising cost of funding a lavish existence, one in ten respondents said a windfall of �2million or more would be needed before they would really notice the difference.

At the other end of the scale, just 6 per cent of people would be satisfied with a �1,000 windfall, the survey of more than 2,000 people found.

Men tended to be the greedier sex, with 67 per cent wanting more than �100,000 to improve their lifestyle compared to 58 per cent of women.

NS&I said the figures reflected a change in spending habits and expectations with more UK consumers regularly treating themselves to luxuries.

But rather than sparking a spending spree more Britons would use a windfall to get their bank balances back into the black, research found.

...continued

----

Hmm £100,000 is a lot but is it enough? How many Mercedes-Benz SLR McLarens could I get?

It's enough for a small house but the location wouldnt be great and you'll probably have to invest the rest to fix it up.

I could put it all into a savings account which would earn me £4750.39 in the first year. That's not really going to fun a lavish lifestyle but would certainly pay for a couple of nice holidays.

Talking of holidays I suppose you could spend it all travelling around the world. That'd be fun and take you a couple of years I imagine.

I think if you really wanted to invest it, you should go for a property. Then either live in it or better yet, rent it. Sell it off in a couple of years and hopefully your £100,000 has almost doubled.

Knowing you lot you'd probably want to spend it all here and now. Lots of games? Lots of DVDs? Big HD TV? A new car? Perhaps a new computer with a 24MB broadband connection?

Maybe a new wheelchair for Timmargh. Years supply of twix for @ngel, life time supply of beer for Smedlos. A one way ticket to China for Kawada. Life size dalek and K9 for pb. 8800GTX for Chipp. You get the idea =)

So what would you guys do with £100,000 and would it change your life?
Wed 30/05/07 at 10:04
Regular
ALMOST two-thirds of Britons believe it would take a windfall of at least �100,000 to make a difference to their life, research today indicated.

A survey by National Savings and Investments (NS&I) found that 62 per cent of UK adults think a six figure sum would be needed to have a tangible impact on their lifestyle.

Amid the rising cost of funding a lavish existence, one in ten respondents said a windfall of �2million or more would be needed before they would really notice the difference.

At the other end of the scale, just 6 per cent of people would be satisfied with a �1,000 windfall, the survey of more than 2,000 people found.

Men tended to be the greedier sex, with 67 per cent wanting more than �100,000 to improve their lifestyle compared to 58 per cent of women.

NS&I said the figures reflected a change in spending habits and expectations with more UK consumers regularly treating themselves to luxuries.

But rather than sparking a spending spree more Britons would use a windfall to get their bank balances back into the black, research found.

...continued

----

Hmm £100,000 is a lot but is it enough? How many Mercedes-Benz SLR McLarens could I get?

It's enough for a small house but the location wouldnt be great and you'll probably have to invest the rest to fix it up.

I could put it all into a savings account which would earn me £4750.39 in the first year. That's not really going to fun a lavish lifestyle but would certainly pay for a couple of nice holidays.

Talking of holidays I suppose you could spend it all travelling around the world. That'd be fun and take you a couple of years I imagine.

I think if you really wanted to invest it, you should go for a property. Then either live in it or better yet, rent it. Sell it off in a couple of years and hopefully your £100,000 has almost doubled.

Knowing you lot you'd probably want to spend it all here and now. Lots of games? Lots of DVDs? Big HD TV? A new car? Perhaps a new computer with a 24MB broadband connection?

Maybe a new wheelchair for Timmargh. Years supply of twix for @ngel, life time supply of beer for Smedlos. A one way ticket to China for Kawada. Life size dalek and K9 for pb. 8800GTX for Chipp. You get the idea =)

So what would you guys do with £100,000 and would it change your life?
Wed 30/05/07 at 11:03
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Hey forget the Twix, im off with Kawada.
Wed 30/05/07 at 11:11
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Ooh, I'm looking into a new wheelchair at the moment as it happens - looks to be somewhere between £12,000 and £14,000 so £100,000 would be handy right now!
Wed 30/05/07 at 11:32
"possibly impossible"
Well, £100,000 might just mean I could move into a bigger house and afford the mortgage (only just, though).

When you're talking about property, then it's not a big figure at all. If you're not interested in property, then, yes, it's more than enough. But a house would come first.

Ideally, I'd need £400,000 to get a house in Spain and not worry about the mortgage, that would really change my life!
Wed 30/05/07 at 11:34
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> Ooh, I'm looking into a new wheelchair at the moment as it
> happens - looks to be somewhere between £12,000 and
> £14,000 so £100,000 would be handy right now!

I had no idea they cost that much. Would you sell your old one then? Maybe it's one of those new ones that goes up and down stairs.
Wed 30/05/07 at 11:37
Regular
pb wrote:
> Well, £100,000 might just mean I could move into a bigger
> house and afford the mortgage (only just, though).
>
> When you're talking about property, then it's not a big figure
> at all. If you're not interested in property, then, yes, it's
> more than enough. But a house would come first.
>
> Ideally, I'd need £400,000 to get a house in Spain and not
> worry about the mortgage, that would really change my life!

£400,000 for a home in the south of Spain? You want a whole villa or something? :) I didnt think you'd need that much. But then this wouldnt be a holiday home so you'd need something that you and your family can live with for the rest of your life.

Still almost half a million in Spain would get you something amazing, unless all the Brits on other foreigners have helped push up the prices.
Wed 30/05/07 at 12:00
"possibly impossible"
Same price there as here. 3 Bedroom terrace house would be about £200,000 to £250,000, but we'd be looking at a 4 bedroom larger house.

All those cheap ones you hear about are either in the middle of nowhere, where no Spanish people would dream of living, or are falling down/haven't got planning permission/about to have a road built through them.

If you want a proper house you have to pay proper money.
Wed 30/05/07 at 12:07
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Machie wrote:
> I had no idea they cost that much. Would you sell your old one
> then? Maybe it's one of those new ones that goes up and down
> stairs.

Your average manual chair can cost anywhere from £200 for a crappy one like you can borrow at shopping centres to a couple of thousand for proper lightweight ones with custom-fit cushions and the like.

The one I'm looking at it an EPIOC, an electrically powered indoor/outdoor chair, that has motorised bits all over it, custom-fit cushions, a 4-point pelvic strap to keep me sat upright (I have a severe curve in my spine), will raise me up to be eye-level with anyone up to six feet tall, can do up to 6 miles an hour and do around 20 miles on a single charge. So, it's a tad more expensive.

My current electrically powered chair is indoor only and is falling to bits, quite literally. I doubt I'll be able to sell it to be honest unless I have it serviced and over-hauled which will cost about a thousand which doesn't make it financially viable.
Wed 30/05/07 at 12:18
Regular
pb wrote:
> Same price there as here. 3 Bedroom terrace house would be about
> £200,000 to £250,000, but we'd be looking at a 4
> bedroom larger house.

Yes a 4 bedroom one might put you up towards £300,000 something. 4 huh? Expecting another addition to the family? ;) Ah that's not it, it'll be a computer room full of all your dvds and stuff, I bet.

> All those cheap ones you hear about are either in the middle of
> nowhere, where no Spanish people would dream of living, or are
> falling down/haven't got planning permission/about to have a
> road built through them.

Yes the tv shows are a bit misleading, still I always thought they'd be a bit cheaper and because you want to be near your wifes family your choice is limited.

> If you want a proper house you have to pay proper money.

Is the pound doing well against the Euro? I thought that would help. A second home in America would be nice with their weak dollar.
Wed 30/05/07 at 12:24
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> My current electrically powered chair is indoor only and is
> falling to bits, quite literally. I doubt I'll be able to sell
> it to be honest unless I have it serviced and over-hauled which
> will cost about a thousand which doesn't make it financially
> viable.

This new one sounds really good, lets hope you can get it soon =) will you be taking it out a lot then? You said you dont really go out much. Not sure if that was because of your health or the fact you only have this powered indoor chair.

How long have you had this old one for? I suppose you could carry on using it as your indoor chair so you dont wear out this new one so much. But as it's falling to bits you're probably keen to stop using it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.