GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation Network Trials - Diary"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 11:07
Regular
February - Noticed in OPSM2 Magazine that if you wanted to take part in the official Sony Network Trials you had to sign up for beta testing via their official website. Anyone who gets in on the trials will receive a free copy of SOCOM: US Navy SEALS as a 'thankyou' at the end of the trials. Wow, never knew that, so scuttled on over.

Signed up, answered a load of questions via an online form about my connection type, who I was, what ISP I used, what games I liked, how much I played games, where I played them, and so on. Then I waited. And waited. And waited...

March - Banner pops up on the official Sony website advising that signups for Network Trials have now closed. The waiting continues. The nailbiting commences.

April 1st - WHOOHOOOOO! E-mail received from Sony confirming I've been chosen to take part in the Playstation 2 Network Gaming Trials. Advised to sit back and relax and wait for another e-mail from 7th April onwards advising where I can get hold of the Network Trials gaming kit which contains:

Network Adaptor (ethernet) for PS2
Network Access Disc, plus connection instructions
SOCOM: US Navy SEALS (online gaming mode only)
SOCOM USB Headset (for voice chat during gameplay)
Ethernet straight through cable (2m)

Meantime there's a huge section added to Sony's official PS2 website all about Networking, including indepth glossaries, broadband options, a list of their partners who sell compatible products, how to set up Internet Connection Sharing, Routers, Direct Connections and so on, basically a 'Dummies Guide to Home Networking'. It's very good, takes me 6 hours and a few coffees to read it and take it all in, and results in me ordering a home network kit so that I'll be able to play my PS2 online and keep the PCs connected to the internet at the same time.

April 4th - Set up home network, go into shock when I realise how easy it is to do and get everything working first time.

April 7th - E-mail arrives from Sony advising that the Network Trial gaming kits are now available to order (£41.98 including delivery) and provide a link to take you straight to their shop. So surfed over there, registered an account with their shop, where, after a few goes because the shop is inundated with people trying to order their kits as well at the same time, I manage to place an order.

Included in the e-mail is a little paragraph advising us that we'll be able to preview code of other games, which will be mailed to our home addresses, so might be getting to practice on Hardware: Online Arena and Twisted Metal Black: Online ages before anyone else.

April 8th - Confirmation e-mail arrives advising that my order for their kit has been placed and that my order is on its way.

April 8th - Two more e-mails received, one from the Playstation Broadband Team and one from the Trial Manager, both apologising for the problems most people had ordering from the shop, and advising that the shop has now been geared up to cope with the huge response.

April 9th - Noticed that my order status at the shop for the Network Gaming trial pack has now changed from 'pending' to 'shipped'. Am currently camping out by my front door awaiting delivery.

I'll update this thread for you as the trials continue, to give you some flavour of how the trials are going, the niggles we're overcoming, but most importantly how much fun it is to blow complete strangers to pieces in SOCOM: US Navy SEALS online.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
You get 30 days free :(

I figure that with the estimated 600-800 hours to reach max level cap with one character I should be able to cram that into 6 months.

Then that's just one character. There's 10 races and 14 classes giving 66 different combinations of character type in Everquest Online Adventures alone.

So to try out all the 66 possible combinations that means... 33 years of gaming.

And Frontiers comes out in November, adding another race and class. So I figure by the time I've completed it I'll be dead.
Thu 15/05/03 at 10:05
Regular
"oaps.org"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> you'll find me on that ALL THE TIME FOR THE FOLLOWING SIX
> MONTHS.

I guess that's how long you get before you have to start paying to play then ;)
Tue 13/05/03 at 06:38
Regular
AliBoy wrote:

> Take it you know somthing that the rest of us don't but are unable to
> share? I ordered the adapter a while back.

Nope, I'm just guessing, maybe Sony will announce something more formal at E3. BUT! If I were a betting man I'd put my money on August/September for European release.

The only clue we've ever had regarding a release date is OPSM2 magazine, which wrote an article stating "When the Network Adaptor is launched in May" a few months back.

By the way, if you look at the smallprint of the one you preordered, and a close look at the picture displayed, it'll probably be the American version showing a 56k connection as well as the broadband connection. As far as I know, the Network Adaptor that will get released in Europe won't have a 56k connection on it. One particular website is even advertising it as available for 56k users and taking preorders based on that. I'd hate to work in their returns department.
Mon 12/05/03 at 23:52
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
FantasyMeister wrote:

>
> Will the PS2 Network Adaptor have had a European launch by then?
> I think not.

Take it you know somthing that the rest of us don't but are unable to share?

I ordered the adapter a while back. Already have the broadband connection through a router in my room for my laptop so should set up to PS2 fairly easily I hope.
Just hope it isn't too far off.......
Sun 11/05/03 at 02:07
Regular
phuzzy wrote:
> Oh, whats so great about EverQuest?

http://everquestonlineadventures.station.sony.com/

The female elves look like Liv Tyler.

I dunno really, I just got one of my hunches that this is going to be a cracking MMORPG. The last time I got that feeling was when I first saw marketing for Final Fantasy 7.
Sun 11/05/03 at 01:53
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
How good of him..

Can't wait for FFXI!

Oh, whats so great about EverQuest?
Sun 11/05/03 at 01:49
Regular
Oh and say 'Hi' to Darwock, I've met up with him on SOCOM a couple of times now and then he shot me.
Sun 11/05/03 at 01:46
Regular
Mostly SOCOM, you'll see why because the other one is...erm...naff. You'll very occaisionally catch me on Midnight Club 2 too.

When EverQuest Online Adventures gets released (in 47 days time and counting) you'll find me on that ALL THE TIME FOR THE FOLLOWING SIX MONTHS.
Sun 11/05/03 at 01:42
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Heh ;)

Well, I'll probably (or hopefully) be on tommorow fairly late (a bit earlier than now though). I'm also highly original with 'Phuzzy'.

Do you play SOCOM or 'the other one' more?
Sun 11/05/03 at 01:39
Regular
phuzzy wrote:
> What is your username on PS2 Online FM?
>
> I think I'll maybe set it up tommorow evening.

It's: 'FantasyMeister'.

I am Mr. Original, aren't I?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.