GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smugglers Run 2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/11/01 at 17:07
Regular
Natbuc stats
"Judas Cambell !"
24/11/01
It's been a year since Smugglers run was released from Angel Studios on PS2 and now it's time for a Bigger, Better and Harder sequal. The original included manic hill climbing, menacing terrain and mad dashes to deliver the contrabrand before your opponents.
Apparent on the 1st outing was the richness of the excellent scenery. You could see anywhere on the playing field which stretched for absoloutly miles. This added a real magical touch to the experiance but unfortunately meant lack of detail on vehicles and made the game look somewhat bland. Luckily on the new version the scenery is even better and stretches even further. The 3 locations set accross the world give a real variety of terrain to speed accross all with frighting drops, unforgiving bumps and many trees to make life as hard as possible. Luckily, this time the developers have spent time trying to make the vehicles look as real as possible. Dirt collects on bumpers, the sun reflects off the beutifally modelled panels and dents now appear. Even the sceneary has been improved. Little detail such as better looking grass and less popup on the small objects means the game looks better than ever. The sound is also a good improvement. Although its mainly smashes and engine noises, the music adds a frantic atmospere and creates a good mood to set the scene.
There is now alot more vehicles to choose from. All the old vehicles are present along with SUV's, trucks and even quad bikes. Each vehicle has it's own unique handling with the fast cars such as the rally car having twitchy, sensitive control while the slower vehicles such as the truck have sluggish but steady handling.
The rival smugglers are as persistant as ever. The new game boasts better AI with more opponents trying to steal the stash. They will try tricks such as blocking and fish tailing while trying to trash your car as much as possible. The police vehicles are even touger than before. It's a real adrenaling rush when you hear a whir of the sirens because this makes you even more determined to deliver your package.
The cars now damage even better than before with panels flying off dents, appearing and now you can even blow your car up. Thats right you can blow your car up! Take too much damage and flames will billow from your engine and dramatically bring your vehicle to a halt. Ram an opponent and you can even put them out. Mine feilds and other weapons have been added and these add a more combat feel to the game aswell as adding extra challenge. Aswell as this it's also nice to see an inclusion of a night vision mode. Angel Studios have done a good job to capture the combat side of the smuggling world and should be credited for it.
Missions are more varied now and leave behind the repition of the original. Some missions are just plain collect and deliver but some include destroying convoys and such. The more varied scenery means most missions seem alot different from each other anyway.
On the first game the multiplayer mode was one of the better parts in the game. Fortunately this time it's even better. Inviting mates round has never been so much fun. Bitter rivalries will appear between groups of freinds as you frantically try and beat each other to the post. The modes available allow you to go all on all or if your feeling freindly you can team up and go head to head against another gang.
If you don't have many mates then Smugglers Run 2 still provides a great single player game. You can play the same modes as multi-player but this time against the PS2. The main game is the Smugglers carreer mode. You must complete missions in a tight time period. Although these can prove quite tough sometimes, they do make a fun, challenging alternative to the basic all on all turf wars.
Smugglers Run 2 is a vast improvement from the original and a worthy purchase, especially if you enjoyed the first one. Along with Smugglers Run and GTA3, Smugglers Run 2 just adds to the class of Rockstar Games.
Natbuc rated this product 9/10
Mon 26/11/01 at 17:07
Regular
"  "
Natbuc stats
"Judas Cambell !"
24/11/01
It's been a year since Smugglers run was released from Angel Studios on PS2 and now it's time for a Bigger, Better and Harder sequal. The original included manic hill climbing, menacing terrain and mad dashes to deliver the contrabrand before your opponents.
Apparent on the 1st outing was the richness of the excellent scenery. You could see anywhere on the playing field which stretched for absoloutly miles. This added a real magical touch to the experiance but unfortunately meant lack of detail on vehicles and made the game look somewhat bland. Luckily on the new version the scenery is even better and stretches even further. The 3 locations set accross the world give a real variety of terrain to speed accross all with frighting drops, unforgiving bumps and many trees to make life as hard as possible. Luckily, this time the developers have spent time trying to make the vehicles look as real as possible. Dirt collects on bumpers, the sun reflects off the beutifally modelled panels and dents now appear. Even the sceneary has been improved. Little detail such as better looking grass and less popup on the small objects means the game looks better than ever. The sound is also a good improvement. Although its mainly smashes and engine noises, the music adds a frantic atmospere and creates a good mood to set the scene.
There is now alot more vehicles to choose from. All the old vehicles are present along with SUV's, trucks and even quad bikes. Each vehicle has it's own unique handling with the fast cars such as the rally car having twitchy, sensitive control while the slower vehicles such as the truck have sluggish but steady handling.
The rival smugglers are as persistant as ever. The new game boasts better AI with more opponents trying to steal the stash. They will try tricks such as blocking and fish tailing while trying to trash your car as much as possible. The police vehicles are even touger than before. It's a real adrenaling rush when you hear a whir of the sirens because this makes you even more determined to deliver your package.
The cars now damage even better than before with panels flying off dents, appearing and now you can even blow your car up. Thats right you can blow your car up! Take too much damage and flames will billow from your engine and dramatically bring your vehicle to a halt. Ram an opponent and you can even put them out. Mine feilds and other weapons have been added and these add a more combat feel to the game aswell as adding extra challenge. Aswell as this it's also nice to see an inclusion of a night vision mode. Angel Studios have done a good job to capture the combat side of the smuggling world and should be credited for it.
Missions are more varied now and leave behind the repition of the original. Some missions are just plain collect and deliver but some include destroying convoys and such. The more varied scenery means most missions seem alot different from each other anyway.
On the first game the multiplayer mode was one of the better parts in the game. Fortunately this time it's even better. Inviting mates round has never been so much fun. Bitter rivalries will appear between groups of freinds as you frantically try and beat each other to the post. The modes available allow you to go all on all or if your feeling freindly you can team up and go head to head against another gang.
If you don't have many mates then Smugglers Run 2 still provides a great single player game. You can play the same modes as multi-player but this time against the PS2. The main game is the Smugglers carreer mode. You must complete missions in a tight time period. Although these can prove quite tough sometimes, they do make a fun, challenging alternative to the basic all on all turf wars.
Smugglers Run 2 is a vast improvement from the original and a worthy purchase, especially if you enjoyed the first one. Along with Smugglers Run and GTA3, Smugglers Run 2 just adds to the class of Rockstar Games.
Natbuc rated this product 9/10
Mon 26/11/01 at 17:20
Regular
"Back For Good"
The original was great fun and was split up into different challenges quite cleverly. The 3 areas were actually all the same with one covered in snow with the lake frozen, the forest and the desert. The new one includes fmv and everything natbuc has told you about but after finishing the original in 2 days or so I found it offered little replay value and i haven't played it since. It makes a great rental but I wouldn't buy it.
Mon 26/11/01 at 17:25
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Good point. Smugglers Run becomes very repetitive after a while - same backgrounds/cars/police noise.

I just hope Smugglers Run2 sounds as good as you say, meaning more action and longevity!
Mon 26/11/01 at 17:44
Regular
"  "
Its alot more fun and realistic
Mon 26/11/01 at 17:52
Regular
"Maybe........."
it sounds good, but surely missions would repeat itself? just collecting and delivering things?
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Whatever!"
I like the original!! I like the sound of the sequel aswell - I may get it eventually, there are just so many other games coming out I want at the moment!!
Mon 26/11/01 at 19:00
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Yeah Smugglers Run got boring aftre a while. I mean you always do same sort of missions and it would be nice to see some variety this time round.

JUDAS.........

Whats will all the people posting the reviews on here nowadays?
Mon 26/11/01 at 19:38
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
I got Smuggler's Run 2 last week. It's better than the original, but now games like GTA3 are out it just looks a little bit...y'know...rubbish. The best parts of the game are the mini games where your team competes against another for the loot.Great fun!
Mon 26/11/01 at 20:19
Regular
Triple_H wrote:
> Yeah Smugglers Run got boring aftre a while. I mean you always do same sort of
> missions and it would be nice to see some variety this time
> round.

JUDAS.........

Whats will all the people posting the reviews on
> here nowadays?

some people want higher word counts
Tue 27/11/01 at 16:41
Regular
"  "
Triple_H wrote:
> Yeah Smugglers Run got boring aftre a while. I mean you always do same sort of
> missions and it would be nice to see some variety this time
> round.

JUDAS.........

u should understand..ur a spurs fan..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.