GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Green Day Rock Band"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Green Day: Rock Band'.
Sat 18/09/10 at 18:55
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I love the Rock Band series and have spent so many alcohol fuelled evenings with my friends singing, shredding and drumming the night away to superb rock, metal and punk songs. Whether you’re in it for a long haul session or just looking to get the night going before heading out clubbing, Rock Band is the perfect game for the job.

But what about a game like Greenday? Sure the band has been around for a while but do they really warrant a game all to themselves or could their songs have been released through downloadable content?

The Basics

Rock Band is a simple concept to grasp with you playing along to famous music tracks with plastic guitars, drum sets or microphones. For the three or four of you who don’t know how this works let me explain. With your chosen song selected it is down to you to hit the right buttons as they slide down the screen and reach the bottom. Taking the guitar peripheral for example you’ll find five coloured buttons on the neck and a plastic strum at the bottom. While holding a button, flicking the strummer will register that note. Drums follow a similar routine while singing follows the pitch of your voice as you try to copy the lyrics. Essentially what you have is three play types all of which offer unique and more importantly fun gameplay. It’s a formula that hasn’t been tampered with and it still works well even after five or so years of Guitar Heroes and Rock Bands.

Previous games in the series focused on creating your own band and taking them around the globe playing a wide range of song types. Here however things are different. You’re always playing as Green Day and instead of touring the world and playing tracks from numerous bands, you’ll find yourself playing just their own music in three of their biggest performances including Milton Keynes.

Welcome To Paradise

While many will groan at the idea of yet another Rock Band title, Green Day seem to gel perfectly with the music genre format. For one their songs range nicely from easier to extremely tough in difficulty whether you’re playing guitar, bass, drums or singing. Furthermore the amount of memorable decent tunes far outweigh the few lacklustre ones (21st Century Breakdown album I’m looking at you) even offering in my opinion some of the best tracks to the series to date.
One moment that particularly stuck with me was playing the epic ‘Jesus of Suburbia’ with three friends. Comprising of five songs that bleed together seamlessly changing in beat, tempo and style was not only challenging but great fun regardless what part you play.
A nice feature is the ability to export all the music from the game onto your hard drive. It is a little cheeky that it requires another six odd pounds, but if you already have a nice collection stored up on your Xbox 360 then it’s definitely worth adding Green Day to that ever growing list.

Burnout

Forty seven songs looks measly compared to the bulky eighty or so of the upcoming Rock Band 3 which is fairly disappointing. There are some songs from Green Day that have been missed out (such as a lot of good songs from the ‘Insomniac’ album) and even if it weren’t possible to include these then why not throw in some bands similar in style to Green Day? It worked for Guitar Hero: Metallica and would have worked well here too.

Which brings me onto another issue. The lack of variety. I do enjoy Green Day, don’t get me wrong, but when you play through their backlist over and over it begins to get a bit repetitive. The great thing about the first and second Rock Bands were their wide range in genres. One minute you would be enjoying some heavy metal, the next a bit of country and western. Sadly here you’re stuck with Green Day and Green Day alone.

While the overall presentation is decent and very keeping with the band’s persona, at times the overall package can feel a little bare bones. Yes we have some nice unlockable videos and photos of the trio, but there aren’t nearly enough of them. Yes we get a ‘career’ mode, but it’s just playing songs one at a time with no variety at all. Yes there’s online, but again there is just no variety.

Bottom Line

I’ll be honest, Green Day Rock Band is basically what I was expecting it to be. New songs to play along to on my fake instruments... and I’m happy with that. When all is said and done though it’s obvious that if you aren’t a fan of Green Day then you aren’t going to want this. If you are though, what you have is a decent selection of songs from the bands past and present along with some interesting (if too few) secrets to uncover.

7/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 18/09/10 at 18:55
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I love the Rock Band series and have spent so many alcohol fuelled evenings with my friends singing, shredding and drumming the night away to superb rock, metal and punk songs. Whether you’re in it for a long haul session or just looking to get the night going before heading out clubbing, Rock Band is the perfect game for the job.

But what about a game like Greenday? Sure the band has been around for a while but do they really warrant a game all to themselves or could their songs have been released through downloadable content?

The Basics

Rock Band is a simple concept to grasp with you playing along to famous music tracks with plastic guitars, drum sets or microphones. For the three or four of you who don’t know how this works let me explain. With your chosen song selected it is down to you to hit the right buttons as they slide down the screen and reach the bottom. Taking the guitar peripheral for example you’ll find five coloured buttons on the neck and a plastic strum at the bottom. While holding a button, flicking the strummer will register that note. Drums follow a similar routine while singing follows the pitch of your voice as you try to copy the lyrics. Essentially what you have is three play types all of which offer unique and more importantly fun gameplay. It’s a formula that hasn’t been tampered with and it still works well even after five or so years of Guitar Heroes and Rock Bands.

Previous games in the series focused on creating your own band and taking them around the globe playing a wide range of song types. Here however things are different. You’re always playing as Green Day and instead of touring the world and playing tracks from numerous bands, you’ll find yourself playing just their own music in three of their biggest performances including Milton Keynes.

Welcome To Paradise

While many will groan at the idea of yet another Rock Band title, Green Day seem to gel perfectly with the music genre format. For one their songs range nicely from easier to extremely tough in difficulty whether you’re playing guitar, bass, drums or singing. Furthermore the amount of memorable decent tunes far outweigh the few lacklustre ones (21st Century Breakdown album I’m looking at you) even offering in my opinion some of the best tracks to the series to date.
One moment that particularly stuck with me was playing the epic ‘Jesus of Suburbia’ with three friends. Comprising of five songs that bleed together seamlessly changing in beat, tempo and style was not only challenging but great fun regardless what part you play.
A nice feature is the ability to export all the music from the game onto your hard drive. It is a little cheeky that it requires another six odd pounds, but if you already have a nice collection stored up on your Xbox 360 then it’s definitely worth adding Green Day to that ever growing list.

Burnout

Forty seven songs looks measly compared to the bulky eighty or so of the upcoming Rock Band 3 which is fairly disappointing. There are some songs from Green Day that have been missed out (such as a lot of good songs from the ‘Insomniac’ album) and even if it weren’t possible to include these then why not throw in some bands similar in style to Green Day? It worked for Guitar Hero: Metallica and would have worked well here too.

Which brings me onto another issue. The lack of variety. I do enjoy Green Day, don’t get me wrong, but when you play through their backlist over and over it begins to get a bit repetitive. The great thing about the first and second Rock Bands were their wide range in genres. One minute you would be enjoying some heavy metal, the next a bit of country and western. Sadly here you’re stuck with Green Day and Green Day alone.

While the overall presentation is decent and very keeping with the band’s persona, at times the overall package can feel a little bare bones. Yes we have some nice unlockable videos and photos of the trio, but there aren’t nearly enough of them. Yes we get a ‘career’ mode, but it’s just playing songs one at a time with no variety at all. Yes there’s online, but again there is just no variety.

Bottom Line

I’ll be honest, Green Day Rock Band is basically what I was expecting it to be. New songs to play along to on my fake instruments... and I’m happy with that. When all is said and done though it’s obvious that if you aren’t a fan of Green Day then you aren’t going to want this. If you are though, what you have is a decent selection of songs from the bands past and present along with some interesting (if too few) secrets to uncover.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.