GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[REVIEW] Homeplug adaptors"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/09/10 at 11:19
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Wireless connectivity was a lovely introduction into any home wasn’t it? Tear out and get rid of ugly cables, sit in the garden with your laptop and browse the internet, sort out the emails and chat on social websites. Actually I don’t own a laptop but I did get rid of the cables. Then I discovered that my online game started to suffer the dreaded lag. Seems my online game doesn’t like Wi-Fi and my download speed regularly dropped anywhere between 25 – 50%. I just could not resolve the issue so every time I wanted to game online out came a (very) long cable which other family members regularly tripped over and the puppy thought was a new toy.

So I invested in a Homeplug Adaptor starter kit (with trepidation as I’m still very much a techophobe). It’s a simple plug and play system that, at the push of a button, secures your network and turns your home power grid into a wired network. Plug one adaptor into a power socket near your modem and connect it to your modem, plug the other adaptor into a power socket near your computer, connect it to your computer and away you go. It is also very easy to expand to cover other devices. My trepidation arose because my connection actually runs via a ProCurve switch but turns out it made no difference.

I was so impressed I bought the company! Okay, that’s wistful thinking but I did buy a starter kit for another family member (different premises, same cable issues) and he ‘hardwired’ his computer back in via their Wi-Fi modem with the same result. So his online gaming issues are also resolved and the rest of his family can still use the Wi-Fi access. Silly people!

The homeplug adaptor is capable of connecting numerous devices over the network e.g. computers, laptops, modems, switches, gaming consoles. Actually anything that you’d connect to a network can be connected via this system.

Turns out that my computer can now go anywhere in the house that I’d like to put it. No longer am I tied to always having it in the corner where it has resided all its life. All I need to consider now is that its new home is near a power socket!

Anyone need a wireless router? I seem to have a few spare that I no longer need. However, if you answer yes, you really haven’t been listening to me have you?

If you have been listening, and you do have network connectivity issues, then I highly recommend this product.
Mon 13/09/10 at 11:19
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Wireless connectivity was a lovely introduction into any home wasn’t it? Tear out and get rid of ugly cables, sit in the garden with your laptop and browse the internet, sort out the emails and chat on social websites. Actually I don’t own a laptop but I did get rid of the cables. Then I discovered that my online game started to suffer the dreaded lag. Seems my online game doesn’t like Wi-Fi and my download speed regularly dropped anywhere between 25 – 50%. I just could not resolve the issue so every time I wanted to game online out came a (very) long cable which other family members regularly tripped over and the puppy thought was a new toy.

So I invested in a Homeplug Adaptor starter kit (with trepidation as I’m still very much a techophobe). It’s a simple plug and play system that, at the push of a button, secures your network and turns your home power grid into a wired network. Plug one adaptor into a power socket near your modem and connect it to your modem, plug the other adaptor into a power socket near your computer, connect it to your computer and away you go. It is also very easy to expand to cover other devices. My trepidation arose because my connection actually runs via a ProCurve switch but turns out it made no difference.

I was so impressed I bought the company! Okay, that’s wistful thinking but I did buy a starter kit for another family member (different premises, same cable issues) and he ‘hardwired’ his computer back in via their Wi-Fi modem with the same result. So his online gaming issues are also resolved and the rest of his family can still use the Wi-Fi access. Silly people!

The homeplug adaptor is capable of connecting numerous devices over the network e.g. computers, laptops, modems, switches, gaming consoles. Actually anything that you’d connect to a network can be connected via this system.

Turns out that my computer can now go anywhere in the house that I’d like to put it. No longer am I tied to always having it in the corner where it has resided all its life. All I need to consider now is that its new home is near a power socket!

Anyone need a wireless router? I seem to have a few spare that I no longer need. However, if you answer yes, you really haven’t been listening to me have you?

If you have been listening, and you do have network connectivity issues, then I highly recommend this product.
Mon 13/09/10 at 12:29
"Are you sure?"
On a similar theme, readers might also be interested in these previous Homeplug posts from pb: homeplug1 | homeplug2

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 13/09/10 at 12:41
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Ohhhhh - I could slap you! Just found out that pb already reviewed this equipment but did you have to link them and show what a poor quality review this really is!!! :D
Mon 13/09/10 at 12:44
"Are you sure?"
Sorry! :¬)

Previous Freeola Chat Homeplug references
Other Search Engines are available

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 13/09/10 at 13:05
Regular
Although a great idea, my current wireless hub is N-technology and at present I don't seem to get any issues with wireless networking.

However, if I had many computers that needed networking, or as we enter an age of all gadgets and hardware connecting to the information super-highway, I can see this becomming a necessity...
Fri 17/09/10 at 17:16
"possibly impossible"
It's still useful for stuff that doesn't have wireless like Blu-ray players or Freeview/Freesat boxes that play stuff like Youtube and iPlayer. More and more tech has an Ethernet in port.

Anyway, still happily using my set up, but have tested the faster model and its pretty impressive. Problem is that I'm stuck with it now as it's not compatible with the slower ones and only has one Ethernet port out (my other has 4, like a router).

So if anyone wants a decent quality Powerline network, virtually brand new for £15 let me know.
Fri 17/09/10 at 17:26
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> So if anyone wants a decent quality Powerline network, virtually
> brand new for £15 let me know.

What is it you're selling exactly? links to the product(s) in question would help. :)
Fri 17/09/10 at 17:37
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I'm looking at purchasing some at the end of this month pb. Been thinking about it for a while now.
Fri 17/09/10 at 21:37
"possibly impossible"
It's been used once to test it for Amazon.

The only reason I'm not using it is that I'd need to buy another plug with more Ethernet connections as I need to have it going to PC, Blu-ray and Freesat players
Sat 18/09/10 at 08:42
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
> The only reason I'm not using it is that I'd need to buy another
> plug with more Ethernet connections as I need to have it going to
> PC, Blu-ray and Freesat players

You should be able to use a simple (and cheap) unmanaged 5 or 8 port 'Network Switch' to get your extra connections.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.