GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Halo combat evolved for xbox"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Thu 09/09/10 at 03:50
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
Originally written here by Lord Krunk

It is some time in the future, where a large off screen battle has taken place between two warring factions: the Humans and the Covenant - an army of religious warmongers from beyond the stars.
The last remaining humans in that battle, aboard a ship called the Pillar of Autumn, have blindly hyperspace jumped in a random direction, with the hopes of losing their attackers.
Knowing that the Covenant is in hot pursuit, and with little hope remaining for their survival, the Captain of the ship orders the awakening of the Master Chief, an experimental gravity-defying super soldier, in order to aid them in their upcoming battle. However, the Captain seems to be more interested in the ring-like construct that floats nearby...
Halo: Combat Evolved is a rather engaging game in that it solidly refuses to hold back on the action and classic shock-tactics to maintain a generally fast pace and enemies that, while repetitively appearing, continue to be obscenely good fun to fight time and time again. The game play is handled quite well; I have had no issues with the controls, and they can be used with precision and ease. Anyone can assume the role of the Master Chief and feel like an awesome and powerful super soldier. Not only is the one-man-run-and-gun bullet pumping a fun and worthwhile experience, but so are the driving segments. I must say, from an experienced gamers' point of view, that the Halo franchise are one of the only games that have made driving segments fun, and even its counterpart, Half-Life, never quite seemed to match up.
Which leads me to the scenery? You would think that being an FPS, you would be solely focused on killing things, but I rather enjoy stopping in an open space and viewing the gigantic planet hovering kilometres above my head, the eponymous ring that towers around me and the interesting architecture of Halo, The Covenant or the Humans of the future. While the graphics of Halo: Combat Evolved are certainly nowhere near that of today's games (and rightly so, considering its age), the art and scenery are beautiful.
Another interesting aspect of this game would have to be its simplicity. While other FPS's in the genre, such as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Counter-Strike have similar looking weapons with names that are hard to remember or distinguish, Halo leans toward extremely distinguishable and simply named weapons and vehicles that are quite memorable. Weapons/vehicles/enemies are even colour-coded, decreasing the in-game confusion that so many games struggle to remove.
The music of Halo: Combat Evolved helps to place you in the shoes of the Master Chief quite significantly, and oozes atmosphere and a feeling of foreboding in many instances. A particular moment that sticks out musically is the end of the game, which involves you driving in a time limit, the world collapsing around you and the theme blaring in the background, quickening the pace and turning what could have easily been a disaster of a finale into a rather memorable, hectic and fun race against time. For best results, play through this scene on the Legendary difficulty.
This leads me to Halo's four difficulty settings: Easy, Normal, Heroic and Legendary. These difficulties are nicely and evenly distributed on the Scale of Hardness, and one can easily work out what difficulty is for them. Easy is for FPS beginners, or the type of person that enjoys charging into battle with security. Normal is still relatively simple, as you can still charge into battle, but you might want to watch your back and keep an eye out on your health/shield meters if you want to survive. Heroic is complex; you do not want to charge in without noting your surroundings and being prepared for any situation. Practice with your headshots; because they are the key to your survival. Legendary is frustrating, especially in particular levels, but do-able with patience, quick movements and a good game plan.
And finally, the multiplayer component of the game is amazingly good fun. It is also quite possibly the highlight of Halo: Combat Evolved, if not the highlight of the whole trilogy, and is excellent for parties, get-togethers and the like, provided that you have a lot of controllers, and possibly able to System Link. Fast paced and hectic, you will find yourself sweating when the going gets tough. Definitely worth a try, if you have a friend or two around (and if you can stand split screen for that matter).
Halo now 7 years old it still gives you the thrill of an original fps 9.5/10
Thu 09/09/10 at 13:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks Halo :)

I hope this doesn't discourage you from submitting some more content. All reviews are welcome, but particularly ones that you've written are welcome, and the fact that you could win a GAD makes it an even better proposition. If you want any help to write a review, don't hesitate to ask, as there are many people on the forum, including myself, who are willing to help out.
Thu 09/09/10 at 12:47
Regular
Sorry thanks chris for you excellent moderation
Thu 09/09/10 at 07:32
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks for posting a review Halo :)

You are allowed to post reviews from other sources on the internet, but must give credit to the original author. If you don't do this, it's considered plagiarism. I've fixed this post for you :)
Thu 09/09/10 at 03:50
Regular
Originally written here by Lord Krunk

It is some time in the future, where a large off screen battle has taken place between two warring factions: the Humans and the Covenant - an army of religious warmongers from beyond the stars.
The last remaining humans in that battle, aboard a ship called the Pillar of Autumn, have blindly hyperspace jumped in a random direction, with the hopes of losing their attackers.
Knowing that the Covenant is in hot pursuit, and with little hope remaining for their survival, the Captain of the ship orders the awakening of the Master Chief, an experimental gravity-defying super soldier, in order to aid them in their upcoming battle. However, the Captain seems to be more interested in the ring-like construct that floats nearby...
Halo: Combat Evolved is a rather engaging game in that it solidly refuses to hold back on the action and classic shock-tactics to maintain a generally fast pace and enemies that, while repetitively appearing, continue to be obscenely good fun to fight time and time again. The game play is handled quite well; I have had no issues with the controls, and they can be used with precision and ease. Anyone can assume the role of the Master Chief and feel like an awesome and powerful super soldier. Not only is the one-man-run-and-gun bullet pumping a fun and worthwhile experience, but so are the driving segments. I must say, from an experienced gamers' point of view, that the Halo franchise are one of the only games that have made driving segments fun, and even its counterpart, Half-Life, never quite seemed to match up.
Which leads me to the scenery? You would think that being an FPS, you would be solely focused on killing things, but I rather enjoy stopping in an open space and viewing the gigantic planet hovering kilometres above my head, the eponymous ring that towers around me and the interesting architecture of Halo, The Covenant or the Humans of the future. While the graphics of Halo: Combat Evolved are certainly nowhere near that of today's games (and rightly so, considering its age), the art and scenery are beautiful.
Another interesting aspect of this game would have to be its simplicity. While other FPS's in the genre, such as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Counter-Strike have similar looking weapons with names that are hard to remember or distinguish, Halo leans toward extremely distinguishable and simply named weapons and vehicles that are quite memorable. Weapons/vehicles/enemies are even colour-coded, decreasing the in-game confusion that so many games struggle to remove.
The music of Halo: Combat Evolved helps to place you in the shoes of the Master Chief quite significantly, and oozes atmosphere and a feeling of foreboding in many instances. A particular moment that sticks out musically is the end of the game, which involves you driving in a time limit, the world collapsing around you and the theme blaring in the background, quickening the pace and turning what could have easily been a disaster of a finale into a rather memorable, hectic and fun race against time. For best results, play through this scene on the Legendary difficulty.
This leads me to Halo's four difficulty settings: Easy, Normal, Heroic and Legendary. These difficulties are nicely and evenly distributed on the Scale of Hardness, and one can easily work out what difficulty is for them. Easy is for FPS beginners, or the type of person that enjoys charging into battle with security. Normal is still relatively simple, as you can still charge into battle, but you might want to watch your back and keep an eye out on your health/shield meters if you want to survive. Heroic is complex; you do not want to charge in without noting your surroundings and being prepared for any situation. Practice with your headshots; because they are the key to your survival. Legendary is frustrating, especially in particular levels, but do-able with patience, quick movements and a good game plan.
And finally, the multiplayer component of the game is amazingly good fun. It is also quite possibly the highlight of Halo: Combat Evolved, if not the highlight of the whole trilogy, and is excellent for parties, get-togethers and the like, provided that you have a lot of controllers, and possibly able to System Link. Fast paced and hectic, you will find yourself sweating when the going gets tough. Definitely worth a try, if you have a friend or two around (and if you can stand split screen for that matter).
Halo now 7 years old it still gives you the thrill of an original fps 9.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.