GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Split Second – Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Split/Second'.
Wed 08/09/10 at 19:37
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Split Second – Xbox 360

So a racing game from Disney..... well PURE was a pretty enjoyable game, but can a high speed, action packed racing game with more explosions than you can shake a stick at be pulled off? One thing is for certain, Mickey and Goofy will be glad they got left out of this one!

Quite a different take on the standard racing game, with various race modes, you compete across about 10 competitions, with around 5 races in each, trying to survive and come out on top. The idea of the game is to build up “power play” points by drifting, drafting and getting some air while driving through the track. You have 3 levels on your bar to get up, each allowing you to pull off a power play that will cause havoc and destroy the track and hopefully your opponents. The first two levels of the power play bar are effectively the same, they allow you to open a shortcut or make a minor event occur to take out your foes. From a helicopter dropping explosives, to a building collapsing. If you stay patient and build up the bar to full, then you can cause devastating damage and actually change the track, this can include a massive freight ship sliding across the docks and taking out anyone who is nearby, or an airplane that will come crashing down across the runway. While the first few times on a track will keep you on your toes, waiting to see what will blow up or fly out at you next, after playing it several times, you will learn where the power plays are and can begin to anticipate what will happen next. So playing against the computer AI does become a bit boring and you find yourself getting tired of the tracks within a quick time.

It is certainly a great idea and the graphics are very slick, the cars all look very nice, there are no real cars from what i saw but they are all very similar with names that have only a couple letters changed, so there is no real issue with the actual cars, especially with them looking fantastic and the tracks being equally as impressive. Even when a power play goes off and the track changes, it all looks impressive and the explosions are very realistic, with the controller vibrating when you feel the shockwaves of nearby actions. A nice little touch that gives the game a more realistic feel while in the heat of a race.

So the game has a great feel, a nice look and a creative style of play, but it can get repetitive, with limited number of tracks, but this was thought of by the great minds at Disney, and so they introduced various race modes, some which take you outside the idea of racing opponents for first place, which adds to the life span. The online mode seems ok and of course creates a longer game for most people, but there are only limited players online at the moment, so waiting times are high and often frustrating, meaning you will leave most lobbys before even starting a race and unless you unlock the best cars, you will not stand a chance to do any good.

The following game modes are there to be played and feature in the campaign;

Race- Does what it says on the tin and is what i have written about in this review, you gain points for where you finish and this pushes you closer to the next race or getting a shiny new car

Helicopter- You have to race around a set track, with a helicopter infront firing various missiles at you as you navigate the track, survive waves of attacks to progress your time and try finish with the longest time, you have 3 lives to go through and also by surviving a wave and taking no damage you gain extra points, along with making it through several waves without crashing or wrecking your car.

Power Plays- You have to get around one lap of the track in the quickest time possible, every power play will trigger and by dodging and anticipating them you can get a better time, as crashing will cost you precious time. Fastest time gets the 1st place and points to move on.

Trucks- Can’t recall the name for this event, but you are racing with many other cars and have to overtake various trucks that are dumping barrels that explode on impact, you gain points for each one you overtake and get bonus scores for not taking hits!

All these modes do offer something different, but i did find the game to get a bit on the repetitive side quickly. Disney have done a good job and tried to mix things up as much as possible, i am not the biggest fan of racing and as such this game held my interest for a good amount of time in a genre i am not a fan of. So i have to say if you like racing games and are looking for something a bit new, then this will be a good look for you, also available at a pretty low price now i reckon. The online has suffered quickly and i did not find many people on there, but all in all, a good looking game with a nice twist on an old genre. I have to give it;

7.5 for me, driving fans will probably give it an 8.5
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 08/09/10 at 19:37
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Split Second – Xbox 360

So a racing game from Disney..... well PURE was a pretty enjoyable game, but can a high speed, action packed racing game with more explosions than you can shake a stick at be pulled off? One thing is for certain, Mickey and Goofy will be glad they got left out of this one!

Quite a different take on the standard racing game, with various race modes, you compete across about 10 competitions, with around 5 races in each, trying to survive and come out on top. The idea of the game is to build up “power play” points by drifting, drafting and getting some air while driving through the track. You have 3 levels on your bar to get up, each allowing you to pull off a power play that will cause havoc and destroy the track and hopefully your opponents. The first two levels of the power play bar are effectively the same, they allow you to open a shortcut or make a minor event occur to take out your foes. From a helicopter dropping explosives, to a building collapsing. If you stay patient and build up the bar to full, then you can cause devastating damage and actually change the track, this can include a massive freight ship sliding across the docks and taking out anyone who is nearby, or an airplane that will come crashing down across the runway. While the first few times on a track will keep you on your toes, waiting to see what will blow up or fly out at you next, after playing it several times, you will learn where the power plays are and can begin to anticipate what will happen next. So playing against the computer AI does become a bit boring and you find yourself getting tired of the tracks within a quick time.

It is certainly a great idea and the graphics are very slick, the cars all look very nice, there are no real cars from what i saw but they are all very similar with names that have only a couple letters changed, so there is no real issue with the actual cars, especially with them looking fantastic and the tracks being equally as impressive. Even when a power play goes off and the track changes, it all looks impressive and the explosions are very realistic, with the controller vibrating when you feel the shockwaves of nearby actions. A nice little touch that gives the game a more realistic feel while in the heat of a race.

So the game has a great feel, a nice look and a creative style of play, but it can get repetitive, with limited number of tracks, but this was thought of by the great minds at Disney, and so they introduced various race modes, some which take you outside the idea of racing opponents for first place, which adds to the life span. The online mode seems ok and of course creates a longer game for most people, but there are only limited players online at the moment, so waiting times are high and often frustrating, meaning you will leave most lobbys before even starting a race and unless you unlock the best cars, you will not stand a chance to do any good.

The following game modes are there to be played and feature in the campaign;

Race- Does what it says on the tin and is what i have written about in this review, you gain points for where you finish and this pushes you closer to the next race or getting a shiny new car

Helicopter- You have to race around a set track, with a helicopter infront firing various missiles at you as you navigate the track, survive waves of attacks to progress your time and try finish with the longest time, you have 3 lives to go through and also by surviving a wave and taking no damage you gain extra points, along with making it through several waves without crashing or wrecking your car.

Power Plays- You have to get around one lap of the track in the quickest time possible, every power play will trigger and by dodging and anticipating them you can get a better time, as crashing will cost you precious time. Fastest time gets the 1st place and points to move on.

Trucks- Can’t recall the name for this event, but you are racing with many other cars and have to overtake various trucks that are dumping barrels that explode on impact, you gain points for each one you overtake and get bonus scores for not taking hits!

All these modes do offer something different, but i did find the game to get a bit on the repetitive side quickly. Disney have done a good job and tried to mix things up as much as possible, i am not the biggest fan of racing and as such this game held my interest for a good amount of time in a genre i am not a fan of. So i have to say if you like racing games and are looking for something a bit new, then this will be a good look for you, also available at a pretty low price now i reckon. The online has suffered quickly and i did not find many people on there, but all in all, a good looking game with a nice twist on an old genre. I have to give it;

7.5 for me, driving fans will probably give it an 8.5

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.