GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Magna Carta 2 – Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Magna Carta 2'.
Tue 07/09/10 at 23:05
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Magna Carta 2 – Xbox 360

JRPG’s, possibly my favourite genre in gaming, now a days they are few and far between. Everyone looks to the big names like Final Fantasy for their fix, but going outside the box and taking up a lesser known game can sometimes pay off, and in the case of Magna Carta 2, it is certainly true.

You play as Juto, a young man who has washed up on Highwind Isle, with no memory of his past. He is taken in by the villagers and a young lady named Melissa who becomes likes a sister to you. Doing minor tasks around the village to help out, but being known as a lazy person, Melissa is constantly on your back and pushing you to work harder.
Outside of your village, the Northern forces are at war with the Southern forces. The Queen was murdered by the Northern forces and the princess kidnapped, she was able to escape and then join the Southern forces in an attempt to gain her rightful place on the throne.
While helping out around the village, the Northern forces attack, since losing his memory, Juto has been unable to use anything expect a wooden sword, so he is unable to help out much during the battle. Especially when a powerful and mysterious man appears, named Elgar. Who causes mass destruction and causes pain wherever he goes. Without going much further and spoiling the story, Juto gets involved with the Southern Forces, Counter Sentinel unit which is lead by the princess. Out for revenge on the Northern Forces, he becomes a key member in the unit and while the story twists and turns you will soon meet various people throughout the world and learn of the dark secrets that the Northern forces are hiding.

So the story has elements of the usual, but the twists that follow on from here are pretty impressive and the story does keep you involved. It moves along quickly and all the members of your team have a distinct personality, some you may like and others dislike. Pretty much all of the game is voice acted which in an RPG is a nice addition, you can sit back and enjoy the story, without having to read tiny text and lots of it!

The graphics are bright and detailed, with plenty of different environments, from towns to caves and forests. There are a couple of different races within the game and all have their own strengths and weaknesses and unique look. From Humans like Juto to Trewa like Argo, who are big beasts with great strength and stamina. The cut scenes are very well polished and looks like a lot of time went into the design and execution of this game. For a rather below the radar RPG i was surprised to see it look so nice, normally the games are blocky and rigid, but Magna Carta 2 has nice scenery and the loading times seem to be down to a minimum.

The fighting in the game can at the start be a tad slow, due to relying on an action guage, and if you over-do it, then you will be stunned for a while, but you soon learn that switching between characters and linking chains makes for more fluid fighting and much better damage. It is quick to grasp and even 15 hours into the game new aspects are discovered, so it never gets stale and there are enough abilities that you can use to mix up the fighting. You are only in control of the leader of your party but can quickly switch by using the d-pad. You can make up a team of 3 people from the available 6 (4 are there from the start, others join later on). From what i experienced, you can use any variety of people to get through the game and you do not need to grind up levels to be able to get through the game. Which is a nice change to some of the RPG’s where you need to spend a lot of time getting stronger. The battle system works well and i never got bored of fighting, and actually enjoyed looking for more people to fight and using the various abilities and characters to get through the environments.

The game progresses mainly through doing quests, and there are plenty of side quests available so you are never short on things to do, but most RPG fans will find this to be a rewarding game that offers a lot and you will not get bored of. As i mentioned earlier, it is not the most well known game and will probably keep a decent price tag as most JRPG’s do, but it is worth taking a look at and will offer around 30 hours or enjoyment and well told story. I would suggest not missing out on this!

A great game but not that challenging, so most of you will not struggle to get through this one, still i will have to give it a great score of;

There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 07/09/10 at 23:05
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Magna Carta 2 – Xbox 360

JRPG’s, possibly my favourite genre in gaming, now a days they are few and far between. Everyone looks to the big names like Final Fantasy for their fix, but going outside the box and taking up a lesser known game can sometimes pay off, and in the case of Magna Carta 2, it is certainly true.

You play as Juto, a young man who has washed up on Highwind Isle, with no memory of his past. He is taken in by the villagers and a young lady named Melissa who becomes likes a sister to you. Doing minor tasks around the village to help out, but being known as a lazy person, Melissa is constantly on your back and pushing you to work harder.
Outside of your village, the Northern forces are at war with the Southern forces. The Queen was murdered by the Northern forces and the princess kidnapped, she was able to escape and then join the Southern forces in an attempt to gain her rightful place on the throne.
While helping out around the village, the Northern forces attack, since losing his memory, Juto has been unable to use anything expect a wooden sword, so he is unable to help out much during the battle. Especially when a powerful and mysterious man appears, named Elgar. Who causes mass destruction and causes pain wherever he goes. Without going much further and spoiling the story, Juto gets involved with the Southern Forces, Counter Sentinel unit which is lead by the princess. Out for revenge on the Northern Forces, he becomes a key member in the unit and while the story twists and turns you will soon meet various people throughout the world and learn of the dark secrets that the Northern forces are hiding.

So the story has elements of the usual, but the twists that follow on from here are pretty impressive and the story does keep you involved. It moves along quickly and all the members of your team have a distinct personality, some you may like and others dislike. Pretty much all of the game is voice acted which in an RPG is a nice addition, you can sit back and enjoy the story, without having to read tiny text and lots of it!

The graphics are bright and detailed, with plenty of different environments, from towns to caves and forests. There are a couple of different races within the game and all have their own strengths and weaknesses and unique look. From Humans like Juto to Trewa like Argo, who are big beasts with great strength and stamina. The cut scenes are very well polished and looks like a lot of time went into the design and execution of this game. For a rather below the radar RPG i was surprised to see it look so nice, normally the games are blocky and rigid, but Magna Carta 2 has nice scenery and the loading times seem to be down to a minimum.

The fighting in the game can at the start be a tad slow, due to relying on an action guage, and if you over-do it, then you will be stunned for a while, but you soon learn that switching between characters and linking chains makes for more fluid fighting and much better damage. It is quick to grasp and even 15 hours into the game new aspects are discovered, so it never gets stale and there are enough abilities that you can use to mix up the fighting. You are only in control of the leader of your party but can quickly switch by using the d-pad. You can make up a team of 3 people from the available 6 (4 are there from the start, others join later on). From what i experienced, you can use any variety of people to get through the game and you do not need to grind up levels to be able to get through the game. Which is a nice change to some of the RPG’s where you need to spend a lot of time getting stronger. The battle system works well and i never got bored of fighting, and actually enjoyed looking for more people to fight and using the various abilities and characters to get through the environments.

The game progresses mainly through doing quests, and there are plenty of side quests available so you are never short on things to do, but most RPG fans will find this to be a rewarding game that offers a lot and you will not get bored of. As i mentioned earlier, it is not the most well known game and will probably keep a decent price tag as most JRPG’s do, but it is worth taking a look at and will offer around 30 hours or enjoyment and well told story. I would suggest not missing out on this!

A great game but not that challenging, so most of you will not struggle to get through this one, still i will have to give it a great score of;

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.