GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who are the greatest bands of all time?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/09/10 at 22:45
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
The greatest bands in my opinion are Pink floyd, ledzepplin and sex pistols for sure.
Mon 13/09/10 at 00:55
Regular
which bands do people dislike? mine are nickleback and guns and roses.
Fri 10/09/10 at 12:32
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
:D
Fri 10/09/10 at 12:15
Regular
Rubber and elastic are my top.

I'm not too keen on Gastric though...
Thu 09/09/10 at 13:04
Regular
jessiccarobertt wrote:
> i am agree with you

Thank you we wont mention sum of the lyrics too FTP could get banned aye hahaha :P
Thu 09/09/10 at 11:15
Regular
"Win Free Prizes"
i am agree with you
Wed 08/09/10 at 23:57
Regular
Hey you carnt forget rage against the machine as well.
Wed 08/09/10 at 22:10
Regular
"How Ironic"
@pete - Maybe it was just the particular video I watched, but Tankian's voice seemed way off track.
Wed 08/09/10 at 21:24
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
> Sounds more that you have something against them because they
> were classed as 'pop'.

I have something against them because they were nothing more than bandwagon jumpers. I can't even say they started the boyband trend.

> In fact, they were the first black band to gain a near equal
> share of audiences from both black and white teens, were the
> first band ever to have their first few singles reach the top of
> the charts in succession (4 or 5 I think) and inspired many other
> Mowtown and R&B acts through their domination of the R&B
> Charts.

They didn't inspire anything. Motown was Berry Gordy, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, The Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight. The Jackson 5 came in at the the end in 1969 and were little more than a footnote to a company that, by the end of the decade, was on a downturn.
Undoubtedly they were a big act but as an influence, non existant. They were brought in quite specifically to fill the youth void left by Stevie Wonder growing up, that's quite obvious when you listen to the songs. In addition Motown needed a young act to keep them going through the 70's because Marvin Gaye was causing trouble with his politics, Smokey Robinson decided he'd had enough, The Supremes were finished and David Ruffin had been sacked by The Temptations.
That plan didn't work anyway, they had 2 years of success and then Motown let them go to CBS. It took CBS 5 years to get them a hit and then they disbanded shortly after. Total, 2 big years out of 11. In my mind they would be a flash-in-the-pan irrelevance if it wasn't for Michael Jackson reminding people who they are.

Now if you want to talk about a genuinely talented band that doesn't get the credit they deserve, I suggest Earth, Wind And Fire.
Wed 08/09/10 at 21:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:

> @pete- I've never seen System live, but I've watched a clip from
> some of their concerts, and I completely agree they are aweful in
> terms of vocals. Tankian's voice seems to die. You have to admit
> though, it's asking alot of him, SOAD's song are extremely vocal
> and rely on high notes alot of the time. The guy would be dead
> trying to mimic the CDs they produce, because Tankian can
> definitely sing, just look at his solo stuff.

Strangely Serj's vocals were not the problem.I saw them just before they went off on their infinite hiatus and the atmosphere between him and Daron Malakian was absolutely awful.One would speak to the audience and then the other but they basically ignored each other for the whole set.Whatever had gone on between them at that time was clearly serious and I wasn't that surprised when they went off in their separate directions soon after.Apparently their getting on much better these days so who knows we may get a System reunion one day.But as gigs go it was just so disappointed as I had waited ages to see them and paid a small fortune for the tickets.
Wed 08/09/10 at 20:24
"possibly impossible"
Nin wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Because he isn't a band? Now the Jackson 5, that's different.
> They have had a huge impact on black music over the years.
>
> They had a huge impact on black music in the same way S Club
> Juniors had an impact on pop music, ie, they didn't. They might
> be remembered but nothing sprang from them. There is a clear and
> direct line of progression and it goes

Sounds more that you have something against them because they were classed as 'pop'.

In fact, they were the first black band to gain a near equal share of audiences from both black and white teens, were the first band ever to have their first few singles reach the top of the charts in succession (4 or 5 I think) and inspired many other Mowtown and R&B acts through their domination of the R&B Charts.

Anyway, a few more 'greatest bands' for you:

NWA - not a fan of Gangsta Rap myself, but they need credit for introducing a completely different style and influencing all that came after.

T.Rex who, alongside Bowie, owned Glam Rock.

The Doors, the poetic lyrics mixed with rock and Morrison's antics ensured that they lasted longer than their actual stage career.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.