GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SLOW SLOW Broadband - Edinburgh Node"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/09/10 at 11:21
Regular
I have had very slow broadband speed <100Kbps now for 4 weeks. I am not seeking help through the forums but rather want ed to get some feedback as to whether anyone else out there in Freeolaland was in the same situ.

Freeola have infromed me that their wholesalers and BTW are on the case and a fix is imminent, but then that was a week ago.

Am I alone?
Wed 22/09/10 at 15:41
Regular
My last comments - mere observations and thinking aloud. Indeed my issue wasn't permanent but it certainly started to feel that way!

Anyway I am pleased to hear an official cleared status as I am sure all other affected customers will be. It would be nice to hear if BT ever let it out what the cause was, whether it be a failed bit of H/W now replaced, or if someone had tripped over a cable and forgot to plug it back in. . . :)

I think I have said it before, but I am grateful to Freeola support for their efforts (which I know were substantial) in preesing BTW for a resolution.
Wed 22/09/10 at 15:16
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Incidentally the Edinburgh node issues are now fully and offically resolved. We have had an official "clear status" update and other effected customers are showing similar stats to yourself.
Wed 22/09/10 at 15:14
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Think I see your point, and tend to agree but not really understanding your standing there Match. Your issue has been resolved officially now, and it wasn't really permanent. Or were you commenting on Digi's?

If you were - Digi's is not permenent, but rather rarely (again, i use the term based on his average). You can view his older threads on here for more info and the frequency, but I'm not gonna go into details.

On the whole though, if it was a permanent issue (whereby the speed has constantly been at 7Mbps, and then suddenly reduced for a considerable duration) we would investigate.

There are too many variables for each individual to summarise though.
Wed 22/09/10 at 14:32
Regular
It's a lot to do with customers perceptions and expectations. That's why there has been much moaning and groaning in the media on the subject as well as the limited unlimited issues.

Todays speed test :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5953 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8000 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

I expect my speed to be around the 6Mbps mark as that is what I was led to expect by tests before I took out broadband even though it was an "up to" 8Mbps package. Freeola like many other ISPs have upgraded their packages to 20/24Mbps because in ideal locations??!! perhaps something between where I am at and the max is achievable.

So I do routinely get 6Mbps but I also expect for shortish periods my speeds to drop to maybe 2-3Mbps due to high traffic at peak times of day.

This I believe is acceptable. What would not be acceptable to me is if my speed dropped to 2-3 Mbps all the time even if that speed is within BT and ISP acceptable limits, since this would be a symptom of inability to supply rather than technical capability.
Wed 22/09/10 at 11:19
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I'm hoping you don't really need an explanation on that point....but I will anyway.

The packages are advertised as "up to" speeds. And that is 100% correct. The service is a rate adaptive service, and the speed itself is determined by your line. Therefore each tariff is up to 24Mb.

We can't offer ADSL and ADSL2+ packages seperately, and in fariness you have to go through a checker which will tell you all the details about your connection before signing up. (Specifically whether you are on ADSL or ADSL2+).

@hmmm... The 24MB Pro etc is just a name of a service. Having VIP Hosting doesn't mean you can get into nightclubs for free :P

Although our systems team are trying to implement this feature
Wed 22/09/10 at 10:40
Regular
I know my line can only do 8MB my tarriff is 24meg pro, Freeola put me on that I know it may never happen, but its what you sell the line as! as Hmm has also pointed out.

Digi

Warhunt wrote:
> Unless I'm looking at the wrong account you are not on a 21CN
> account, and hence can not achieve ADSL2+. So you are not on a
> 24Mbps line, but rather a 8Mbps.
>
> (That's for your line attached to the DENHOLM exchange).
>
Wed 22/09/10 at 10:31
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> Unless I'm looking at the wrong account you are not on a 21CN
> account, and hence can not achieve ADSL2+. So you are not on a
> 24Mbps line, but rather a 8Mbps.

When I look on Freeola's Broadband page I can only see
"Up to 24Mb" packages though :¬P

I'm also on a 20CN Market 1 exchange (ADSL/up to 8128) but MyFreeola shows my package as "24 Mb Pro" - No 'up to' mentioned!

Only kidding
;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 22/09/10 at 10:20
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Unless I'm looking at the wrong account you are not on a 21CN account, and hence can not achieve ADSL2+. So you are not on a 24Mbps line, but rather a 8Mbps.

(That's for your line attached to the DENHOLM exchange).

Of course please remember (as well as for users who may read this and misunderstand) :
This is a MAX service, which is rate adaptive.

I understand your frustration, as we always do when customers have this sort of issue, but I can only re-iterate what you yourself seemed to brush upon. Acceptable limits are the limits which are considered.

If I can be frank with you, as I'm sure our customers appreciate we always are, having a speed of between 1.5Mbps -3Mbps rarely (considering your average) is not really an "out of acceptable range" issue. And hence it is harder to progress with BT considering there tests show there is no fault.

I should note that you know the official responses well by now, and this is only my take on things personally.
Wed 22/09/10 at 09:55
Regular
Hi warhunt
I wasnt looking for discussion on this with Freeola on this I was chatting to a fellow forum member expressing my frustrations as is Match, like wise "acceptable" and "normal" levels are poles apart recently, and as a customer I appear to have no voice, and lets face it I am on an up to 24MB line yet at times was getting less than 1MB is that accepable? its like buying a Ferrari and having the power of a Smart car! would you be happy?

Edit : Match hits the nail on the head when he said about getting a stable and fast connection you begin to depend on it, so when it goes wrong its like losing a friend, you know its wrong so you turn to your ISP to resolve it, Freeola do thier ut most to resoplve it I have NO doubt! but any anger or frustration I am showing is not aimed at Freeola but at BTW! I feel they are less than helpfull at times!

Digi

Warhunt wrote:
>
> @Digi - Too many details to discuss on the forums, best to
> discuss your concerns via ticket. We are doing everything we can
> on this, considering the circumstances.
>
> Please appreciate though that it will naturally be harder to get
> investigations done when the line is performing within the realms
> of BTW "acceptable" limits.
Tue 21/09/10 at 19:36
"Are you sure?"
Fair enough - as I said it was just an observation :¬)

Reading through the thread, after a while it seems like the OP was asking for some support to me.

Again, to me it just looks like a missed opportunity and visitors (potential customers!) reading this forum could end up with the wrong idea...

I have a strange slant on life as you know(!) so it's probably just me!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.