GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need some new games - Help me decide!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/10 at 20:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
After my recent GAD, and recieving some money for keeping the house in good shape, I've accumulated £70, which is extremely rare for me seeing as I'm always skint. So why am I boasting to you all? Well I need some help purchasing a few good titles, instead of blowing my only gaming funds on aload of rubbish.

I'm still considering purchasing Mass Effect 1&2 after some advice from pb, but the field's completely open. Any particular games you've played that you've really enjoyed, just drop a line here, and I'll check them out on YouTube etc.

Oh, and I don't particularly want to buy one brand new game for £50. Would prefer to get 2 or 3, even 4 cheaper games.

Thanks in advance everyone.

UPDATE:
Quick list I whipped up of some I might get. Any of them are aweful, or the price looks too high for what the game is worth, please let me know:

Mass Effect 2 £13.93
Mass Effect £9.99
Left for Dead 2 £13.97
Alan Wake £17.93
Orange Box £10.96
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion £17.99
Fallout 3 £14.00
Fri 20/08/10 at 20:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
After my recent GAD, and recieving some money for keeping the house in good shape, I've accumulated £70, which is extremely rare for me seeing as I'm always skint. So why am I boasting to you all? Well I need some help purchasing a few good titles, instead of blowing my only gaming funds on aload of rubbish.

I'm still considering purchasing Mass Effect 1&2 after some advice from pb, but the field's completely open. Any particular games you've played that you've really enjoyed, just drop a line here, and I'll check them out on YouTube etc.

Oh, and I don't particularly want to buy one brand new game for £50. Would prefer to get 2 or 3, even 4 cheaper games.

Thanks in advance everyone.

UPDATE:
Quick list I whipped up of some I might get. Any of them are aweful, or the price looks too high for what the game is worth, please let me know:

Mass Effect 2 £13.93
Mass Effect £9.99
Left for Dead 2 £13.97
Alan Wake £17.93
Orange Box £10.96
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion £17.99
Fallout 3 £14.00
Fri 20/08/10 at 21:29
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I asume you've played through Oblivion? It's the only 'old' game I can think of that I still bother playing.
Fri 20/08/10 at 21:58
Regular
"How Ironic"
Had a quick look on YouTube. Looks a pretty good game, I like RPGs, and with the fantastic reviews on YouTube, it's one I'll add to the list.
Fri 20/08/10 at 23:48
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I wouldnt get Mass Effect 2 (yet). They are both good games but thats no guarantee you'll like them. If you dont like the first one then theres a fair chance you wont like the second one either. So might be a wasted purchase.

Also I dont remember who but one online retailer was selling the collectors edition of Alan Wake for £19.95 recently. If you intend to sell after use probably a better buy.

And are you not considering Bioshock anymore? Theres a double pack available with Oblivion, should be able to pick it up for ~£22 so not much more than the price you have for oblivion alone.
Sat 21/08/10 at 00:19
Regular
"How Ironic"
I really didn't like the look of Bioshock. And I'll be buying the first Mass Effect to test the water so to speak, and get the second if I enjoy it. Not too sure wether I'll like Alan Wake, Fallout 3 or Oblivion though. And Left for Dead 2, well I got bored of the demo within a short amount of time, and not from just replaying it. Mixed thoughts at the moment. I think Mass Effect is the only one I'll definitely be purchasing at the moment, maybe with the Orange box (played TF2 on PC, and really enjoyed it, but Half Life looks aweful).
Sat 21/08/10 at 01:06
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bioshock demo not on Live anymore? Never really appealed to me either but I bought it anyway because it was a) cheap and b) I liked System Shock (by the same developer). Glad I bought it in the end.

Half Life 2 is one of the better story driven FPS around. Graphics are probably showing their age now though and it does tend to drag in places. Not sure there was ever a demo on Live, but theres definitely a PC demo.

As for Fallout 3 and Oblivion, it depends how much you like RPGs I suppose. Its very evident they are both made with the same game engine so not sure I'd buy both at the same time. And with Fallout 3, get the game of the year edition if you can as the expansions are quite sizeable. Speaking of RPGs, just noticed Alpha Protocol is £14 on amazon.
Sat 21/08/10 at 01:46
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Not too sure wether I'll like Alan Wake, Fallout 3 or Oblivion though.

I can't comment on Alan Wake as I haven't played it, survival horrors aren't my thing at all. But I have both Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

I really enjoy playing Oblivion, I've clocked over 70 hours on it so far, and I only have a few achievements to get.

Even though Fallout 3 is also made by Bethesda I just don't think it's anywhere near as good. I think what gets my G.O.A.T (sigh) about it is the way the main city is designed, it's a big annoying maze, full of big annoying mutants and I just can't get into the game at all.
Sat 21/08/10 at 02:15
Regular
"How Ironic"
To be quite honest, I'm actually stumped as to what games to get. I'm still only certain about Mass Effect. The others, after watching gameplay videos and video reviews, I've been put off them. Have been checking amazon all day, and there really aren't any games that are jumping out at me. May search XBL demos to try some games out.
Sat 21/08/10 at 09:56
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Can't say I really got into Mass Effect, so many people say how much of a good game it is though...

Personally from that list I would suggest Oblivion or Fallout, they are a very similar game in terms of how it is played with a huge amount of side quests and missions that will keep you entertained...

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find them for slightly less than you have listed.
Sat 21/08/10 at 18:02
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well the whole plan's on hold at the moment. Xbox drive is refusing to open. Have tryed Microsoft's handy 'paperclip' support (absolute joke it is) and it only works if the console is on it's side. I'm not having my console on it's side, haven't got any space to put it.

If you haven't gathered, I'm not a happy bunny. Will certainly be staying away from Microsoft's future consoles. Think it's time to make my way back over to reliable Sony.

PS2. What more can I say, I've had it for years and years, and it's more reliable than my 2 year old 360, which has broken down 3 times now (1 serious RROD, a minor RROD, and broken disc tray)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.