GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"End of World Action Plan"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/08/10 at 08:17
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
With 2012 only a few years away and the Mayan prophecy of the end of life as we know it, who is prepared?*

Well, as though 2012 is an interesting topic in itself to debate, this isn't really the purpose of the thread. For the sake of this thread, say it is definitely going to happen. Maybe some major diaster such as the solar space storm hits a year early, Yellowstone decides that it's long overdue for a blast or one of the asteroids we haven't seen quite yet takes a sudden detour and aims for the Spanish Coastline (well...the weather is good this time of year!).

Does the country/worlds actually have action plans for big events such as these? Or do they leave this into the hands of the Gods?

I'm sure on a global scale incident that charity aid relief schemes will be pointless as we will all be looking after our own backs. Lots of events would cause huge problems in our communication systems (if not wipe them out completely) and as we saw with Hurrican Katrina, looting will be rife.

Is it time to start thinking of a personal action plan? I honestly wouldn't have faith in anything the powers that be may have planned for us - as I don't think overstocking on antivirals (swine flu incident) or road salt (last winter's weather) did any good whatsoever...

Ideas?

*And I know someone will bring this part of the thread up... and from my research into the subject, I worded it "end of life as we know it" as it may not be a negative/end of world thing, but may just be a spell of peace, enlightenment or perhaps the messiah will pay another visit...or nothing will happen at all. Theonly way we'll know is to sit back and hold tight!
Thu 12/08/10 at 08:17
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
With 2012 only a few years away and the Mayan prophecy of the end of life as we know it, who is prepared?*

Well, as though 2012 is an interesting topic in itself to debate, this isn't really the purpose of the thread. For the sake of this thread, say it is definitely going to happen. Maybe some major diaster such as the solar space storm hits a year early, Yellowstone decides that it's long overdue for a blast or one of the asteroids we haven't seen quite yet takes a sudden detour and aims for the Spanish Coastline (well...the weather is good this time of year!).

Does the country/worlds actually have action plans for big events such as these? Or do they leave this into the hands of the Gods?

I'm sure on a global scale incident that charity aid relief schemes will be pointless as we will all be looking after our own backs. Lots of events would cause huge problems in our communication systems (if not wipe them out completely) and as we saw with Hurrican Katrina, looting will be rife.

Is it time to start thinking of a personal action plan? I honestly wouldn't have faith in anything the powers that be may have planned for us - as I don't think overstocking on antivirals (swine flu incident) or road salt (last winter's weather) did any good whatsoever...

Ideas?

*And I know someone will bring this part of the thread up... and from my research into the subject, I worded it "end of life as we know it" as it may not be a negative/end of world thing, but may just be a spell of peace, enlightenment or perhaps the messiah will pay another visit...or nothing will happen at all. Theonly way we'll know is to sit back and hold tight!
Thu 12/08/10 at 09:44
"possibly impossible"
Really depends on WHAT causes it.

If it's something that irradiates the earth/makes it impossible to live on top then we'd have to have underground systems to live in that were self sufficient: power, water and filtration, some sort of system that would still allow light through in order to grow plants etc.

The alternative would be to build a huge space-station or spacecraft that could support everyone.

If it was something like the seas rising then people would have to have safe ground and that would have to be able to sustain life in a similar way (grow food, fresh water, power).
Thu 12/08/10 at 13:21
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I suppose they would have to have created a plan for every major possibility.

In all honesty, I think the thing that is most likely to happen is the Earth getting in the way of the solar storm, resulting in mass electronic failure due to the electromagnetic fluctuations.
Thu 12/08/10 at 15:39
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
If something apocolyptic were to happen to Earth, would you really want to survive into the aftermath? Don't know if I would.
Fri 13/08/10 at 08:12
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
That's an interesting debate in itself!

I think the fight for survival involved would be enough to see. May be full of pain and hardship, but what a feeling it would be to have survived the end of the world...

Best case scenario...
[S]*Oh look...how fortunate...after last night you said I'd have to be the last man on Earth before you'd date me... "tada"
Fri 13/08/10 at 12:02
Regular
"How Ironic"
Ahh 2012, the big hype. It's aload of rubbish really, the mayans did not in fact predict the end of the world. If you read their scriptures, they actually predict the start of a new cycle and the end of an old one. This could be interpreted as the end of the world (if you're really depressing ;D) but it most likely means the same as our calender when we start a new year. 2012 is just a reason for the media to get excited that year (seeing as the olympics are going to be an epic failure) and for Hollywood to cash in on yet another disaster movie. And of course, it doesn't hurt to get the whole of the human race worried once in awhile. The world will end when it ends, and there's nothing we can do it about it.

Sorry, I just get annoyed by things like this :P
Sun 15/08/10 at 10:04
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
You are assuming that there are plans in place for this? I highly doubt that there will be, especially during a recession. The planning (let alone the implementation) of 'Ark' plans would be ridiculously high and, in the long run, are highly likely to prove worthless and something that could be used against whichever power/political party sanctioned it.

Events on the scale you are referring to would likely hasten the ending of life on this Planet anyway so such planning is likely fruitless. A spaceship could be a good idea, but any solar flares/meteors/alien attacks would also put this at risk, living underground isn't really an option either as sunlight is essential in the long term growth of the majority of organisms (not least mammals).

Sonic Chris wrote:
> (seeing as
> the olympics are going to be an epic failure)
> Sorry, I just get annoyed by things like this :P

Things like this annoy me :p

People are already slagging off an event that is a year and a half away, with no basis or evidence to back up such claims. On my regular visits to London I nearly always go past Stratford so have seen the progression of the Olympic site and (as of my most recent visit yesterday) it is coming along nicely and is beginning to resemble a stage for a major sporting event.

To me, it seems everybody that is coming out with these type of statements falls into three categories; people who don't like sport, people who look at area currently and dismiss it (a.k.a. idiots) and people who don't want it to succeed because of where is it being held (Northerners).

Give it until August 2012 before judging this event.
Sun 15/08/10 at 21:05
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Ahh 2012, the big hype. It's aload of rubbish really, the mayans
> did not in fact predict the end of the world. If you read their
> scriptures, they actually predict the start of a new cycle and
> the end of an old one.

Well the thread was about a general end of world action plan, just an idea thrown up by the 2012 prophecy... not about the prophecy itself... :p

I think it would end up every man for himself in this event. Everyone would have their own set of priorities to set in motion and just hope they don't get killed by the looting!
Sun 15/08/10 at 21:44
Regular
"How Ironic"
HM wrote:
> I think it would end up every man for himself in this event.
> Everyone would have their own set of priorities to set in motion
> and just hope they don't get killed by the looting!

I would personally come to Bristol to sing Ghostbusters to you before I died :)
Mon 16/08/10 at 08:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Good luck finding me... ;) Especially if it happens in the next few years...

Although I may sound horrible, I think a good near-apocalyptic event would be good for the human race. I think we have outgrown the planet...

Contraversial...now discuss ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.