GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2011"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11'.
Tue 10/08/10 at 16:23
Regular
"And in last place.."
Golf. A waste of a good walk some say. This doesn’t quite apply to the videogame but is it a waste of gaming time? Chances are you already know your answer to that question.

The 2011 experience starts with the golfer creation. It is all standard EA player creation with no shortage of options. The option to download your own face is available if you upload a couple of photos to the internet.

After you have created your golfer you are all set to tee off but first up is the tutorial. It is optional but it will introduce a beginner to the controls as well as allowing players of all abilities to get familiar with the ‘enhancements’. But more importantly, you earn XP for your efforts. XP is the currency in Tiger 2011, if you want to improve your stats or go shopping for new clothes or clubs then you’ll need XP.

The control scheme remains as it has been for years, pull the analogue stick back to start the backswing and then slap it forward to strike the ball... FORE! Any deviation from a straight line back and forward will have an effect on your shot, the more you sway off line the more the ball will do the same in flight. To allow you to monitor your swing, there is a golf ball image at the bottom left of the screen. The yellow line indicates your swing which easily allows you to see how erratic your swing is. If you are not keen on the analogue stick control method then you can switch to the traditional power meter from the good ol’ days before analogue sticks. You are free to switch between the 2 methods as you please.

On the course, an overhead view helps you line up your shot. A circle on the ground shows the area in which the ball will land based on your current club selection. You can move this circle left, right, up and down to fine tune your aim. The circle doesn’t do all the work for you, it refuses to take into account the lay of the ground and the wind conditions so you will have a little bit of analysis before proceeding but it’s nothing too taxing, a quick adjustment here and there and you are ready to strike the ball.

All the information you need to carefully choose your shot is readily available. The height difference between your ball and the hole, the wind and the lay of the ball all need to be considered. You have a variety of shots to choose from, except of course when you are on the green. In addition to the shot types, you are also able to increase or decrease the angle your golfer holds the club to add or reduce the loft. Push forward to keep the shot lower than normal and pull back to add some height. Once you have set the desired effect it is swing away as normal.

On the green you are presented with a grid showing the undulations. It takes a bit of time to get used to the effect the undulations have on your putt and some of the greens are very unforgiving. On hand to help you is the Putt Preview which will show you the path the ball will take. It’s a valuable function although it doesn’t always seem to be accurate. Or is it my putting?

There are a variety of things to take into account for each shot, fast paced it is not but did you expect anything else with golf? It’s far from the speed of a chess match but if you do wish to speed things up then holding down the designated button fast forward your shot. It will save you a few seconds per hole if you are in a real rush.

A new feature with 2011 is the Focus meter. You start a round with a full meter which reduces each time you apply some Focus. When using the overhead view the aiming circle is large but apply some Focus to reduce its size and in turn increases the accuracy of your shot. You can apply spin to your shot once your ball is in the air. Applying spin uses Focus. The Putt Preview uses Focus. Basically, anything that might help you seems to use Focus and you’ll soon find that a full Focus meter doesn’t last long. You can build the meter up during each hole but with regular Focus usage you will find yourself running on empty and facing a nasty putt without a Putt Preview option. It does make for some tactical decisions and making you less reliant on spin and putt previews can only improve your game.

When you take a shot you will be shown a percentage which indicates your shot power. 100% power isn’t the limits, an extra power boost can be applied during the swing but again, this uses Focus. For the beginner this sounds ideal but be warned that any deviation from the straight swing is multiplied with the boost, it’s not worth the gamble if your swing is a bit wonky.

Good shots are rewarded with XP. Land your tee shot on the fairway and you get a little XP. Land on the green in regulation (i.e. 1 shot for a par 3, 2 for a par 4, 3 for a par 5) and you get a little XP. Sink a birdie and you get a little XP. Get a hole in one and you get... well, I’ll have to presume you get even more XP. This XP can be used to build up your stats. There are 4 main categories: power, approach, control and putting. Within each category there are sub categories all of which need improving which requires a lot of XP.

The XP can also be used to kit out your golfer in some jazzy new clothes. Some of the items are purely cosmetic but others apply a little extra to your stats. Who would have thought the groovy green and white diamond trousers could help the power I can hit the ball with? As well as clothing, you can spend your hard earned XP on various golfing equipment such as balls, grips, shafts and clubs. If you don’t have enough XP then don’t worry, you can spend real money. 79p will get you a lovely new top which is a bargain! Personally I’d not dream of spending money on clothes for my little golfer but the option is there.

In addition to the XP, your golfer has a level. A certain amount of XP needs to be earned before you are promoted to the next level. Naturally, the better items in the shop are unavailable until you reach certain levels. Every game mode adds XP so you are always working towards a new level.

For those that want an added level of realism and challenge then True Aim is just for you. This new addition to the series removes the nice overhead aiming view and in its place are a series of distance markers for guidance. Instead of the camera tracking the ball once you’ve taken a shot you will be left wondering how good your shot is, just like in real golf. It also means you can’t apply last minute spin in a panic to salvage your shot. Personally I’m too much of a novice for it, I need all my helpful extras even if it’s not realistic.

For the single player there are no shortage of events to keep you amused. There is the usual extensive career mode which sees you working through multiple PGA tour event calendar years and entering tournaments against the professionals. However, the biggest addition in the 2011 version the events is something that will appeal to the real golf fan, the Ryder Cup. With the Ryder Cup coming up soon it’s no surprise to see the inclusion of the Ryder Cup being advertised on the game’s cover. If you’re looking for a quick round then this is a mode to avoid, it’s no longer just you playing each hole, you’ll have to wait for your team mate and opponents to take their shots. A single round of golf changes from a quick 30 minutes to an all nighter. Still, there is no doubting that this is the sort of thing EA need to include to counter the ‘just another update’ criticisms aimed at their sports games. The other main mode is the Challenge section. Here you get to choose challenges from a variety of the real world professionals. Each professional offers a set of 3 challenges and you need to pass them to unlock others challenges. It will really test your abilities as the challenges progress but they make for a quick XP boost.

The multiplayer aspect is not ignored as usual with a mix of standard matches and golf games, such as Bingo Bango Bongo which can be good fun. There is also an extensive selection online activities but there had to be with the controversial OnLine Pass that EA have introduced. As well as entering tournaments where you play alone and record your score to a leaderboard, there is the option for Vs play where you can form teams and play against another team. If you were to pick up a second hand copy of this game then I’d suggest there is enough content to merit the extra fee.

Even the single player mode gets involved in the online activities. Many holes come with GamerNet challenges such as longest drive or nearest to the pin. Beat the challenge and get yourself some points. So far I’ve managed a grand total 3 points but I’m proud of my 3 points nevertheless.

On the visuals front it is a decent looking game but a lot can depend on the course you are playing. On closer inspection you do notice things that could be better if you are fussy. There is a 10mph cross wind but yet none of the leaves are moving. The commentary is pretty much spot on and it does feel like watching golf on the TV. If you pay attention the commentary team do give you some pointers although sometimes their idea of a poor shot and mine seem to differ.

The 2011 incarnation still retains the odd frustrating moment where the height and wind don’t have the impact they should do or the putt preview seems to completely mislead but most of the time a poor shot is your own doing and the confusing moments don’t happen too often.

The PS3 version comes with support for Move via a free downloadable update.

As always, Tiger Woods is a fine golf game. If you’ve never liked a Tiger Woods game before then this will not convert you. If you have enjoyed a Tiger Woods game before then you’ll pretty much get what you expect although you may not like some of the tweaking. I’d never recommend someone buy each iteration of any EA Sports titles but for those that do, the Ryder Cup is the major extra for this year.

8/10
Tue 10/08/10 at 16:23
Regular
"And in last place.."
Golf. A waste of a good walk some say. This doesn’t quite apply to the videogame but is it a waste of gaming time? Chances are you already know your answer to that question.

The 2011 experience starts with the golfer creation. It is all standard EA player creation with no shortage of options. The option to download your own face is available if you upload a couple of photos to the internet.

After you have created your golfer you are all set to tee off but first up is the tutorial. It is optional but it will introduce a beginner to the controls as well as allowing players of all abilities to get familiar with the ‘enhancements’. But more importantly, you earn XP for your efforts. XP is the currency in Tiger 2011, if you want to improve your stats or go shopping for new clothes or clubs then you’ll need XP.

The control scheme remains as it has been for years, pull the analogue stick back to start the backswing and then slap it forward to strike the ball... FORE! Any deviation from a straight line back and forward will have an effect on your shot, the more you sway off line the more the ball will do the same in flight. To allow you to monitor your swing, there is a golf ball image at the bottom left of the screen. The yellow line indicates your swing which easily allows you to see how erratic your swing is. If you are not keen on the analogue stick control method then you can switch to the traditional power meter from the good ol’ days before analogue sticks. You are free to switch between the 2 methods as you please.

On the course, an overhead view helps you line up your shot. A circle on the ground shows the area in which the ball will land based on your current club selection. You can move this circle left, right, up and down to fine tune your aim. The circle doesn’t do all the work for you, it refuses to take into account the lay of the ground and the wind conditions so you will have a little bit of analysis before proceeding but it’s nothing too taxing, a quick adjustment here and there and you are ready to strike the ball.

All the information you need to carefully choose your shot is readily available. The height difference between your ball and the hole, the wind and the lay of the ball all need to be considered. You have a variety of shots to choose from, except of course when you are on the green. In addition to the shot types, you are also able to increase or decrease the angle your golfer holds the club to add or reduce the loft. Push forward to keep the shot lower than normal and pull back to add some height. Once you have set the desired effect it is swing away as normal.

On the green you are presented with a grid showing the undulations. It takes a bit of time to get used to the effect the undulations have on your putt and some of the greens are very unforgiving. On hand to help you is the Putt Preview which will show you the path the ball will take. It’s a valuable function although it doesn’t always seem to be accurate. Or is it my putting?

There are a variety of things to take into account for each shot, fast paced it is not but did you expect anything else with golf? It’s far from the speed of a chess match but if you do wish to speed things up then holding down the designated button fast forward your shot. It will save you a few seconds per hole if you are in a real rush.

A new feature with 2011 is the Focus meter. You start a round with a full meter which reduces each time you apply some Focus. When using the overhead view the aiming circle is large but apply some Focus to reduce its size and in turn increases the accuracy of your shot. You can apply spin to your shot once your ball is in the air. Applying spin uses Focus. The Putt Preview uses Focus. Basically, anything that might help you seems to use Focus and you’ll soon find that a full Focus meter doesn’t last long. You can build the meter up during each hole but with regular Focus usage you will find yourself running on empty and facing a nasty putt without a Putt Preview option. It does make for some tactical decisions and making you less reliant on spin and putt previews can only improve your game.

When you take a shot you will be shown a percentage which indicates your shot power. 100% power isn’t the limits, an extra power boost can be applied during the swing but again, this uses Focus. For the beginner this sounds ideal but be warned that any deviation from the straight swing is multiplied with the boost, it’s not worth the gamble if your swing is a bit wonky.

Good shots are rewarded with XP. Land your tee shot on the fairway and you get a little XP. Land on the green in regulation (i.e. 1 shot for a par 3, 2 for a par 4, 3 for a par 5) and you get a little XP. Sink a birdie and you get a little XP. Get a hole in one and you get... well, I’ll have to presume you get even more XP. This XP can be used to build up your stats. There are 4 main categories: power, approach, control and putting. Within each category there are sub categories all of which need improving which requires a lot of XP.

The XP can also be used to kit out your golfer in some jazzy new clothes. Some of the items are purely cosmetic but others apply a little extra to your stats. Who would have thought the groovy green and white diamond trousers could help the power I can hit the ball with? As well as clothing, you can spend your hard earned XP on various golfing equipment such as balls, grips, shafts and clubs. If you don’t have enough XP then don’t worry, you can spend real money. 79p will get you a lovely new top which is a bargain! Personally I’d not dream of spending money on clothes for my little golfer but the option is there.

In addition to the XP, your golfer has a level. A certain amount of XP needs to be earned before you are promoted to the next level. Naturally, the better items in the shop are unavailable until you reach certain levels. Every game mode adds XP so you are always working towards a new level.

For those that want an added level of realism and challenge then True Aim is just for you. This new addition to the series removes the nice overhead aiming view and in its place are a series of distance markers for guidance. Instead of the camera tracking the ball once you’ve taken a shot you will be left wondering how good your shot is, just like in real golf. It also means you can’t apply last minute spin in a panic to salvage your shot. Personally I’m too much of a novice for it, I need all my helpful extras even if it’s not realistic.

For the single player there are no shortage of events to keep you amused. There is the usual extensive career mode which sees you working through multiple PGA tour event calendar years and entering tournaments against the professionals. However, the biggest addition in the 2011 version the events is something that will appeal to the real golf fan, the Ryder Cup. With the Ryder Cup coming up soon it’s no surprise to see the inclusion of the Ryder Cup being advertised on the game’s cover. If you’re looking for a quick round then this is a mode to avoid, it’s no longer just you playing each hole, you’ll have to wait for your team mate and opponents to take their shots. A single round of golf changes from a quick 30 minutes to an all nighter. Still, there is no doubting that this is the sort of thing EA need to include to counter the ‘just another update’ criticisms aimed at their sports games. The other main mode is the Challenge section. Here you get to choose challenges from a variety of the real world professionals. Each professional offers a set of 3 challenges and you need to pass them to unlock others challenges. It will really test your abilities as the challenges progress but they make for a quick XP boost.

The multiplayer aspect is not ignored as usual with a mix of standard matches and golf games, such as Bingo Bango Bongo which can be good fun. There is also an extensive selection online activities but there had to be with the controversial OnLine Pass that EA have introduced. As well as entering tournaments where you play alone and record your score to a leaderboard, there is the option for Vs play where you can form teams and play against another team. If you were to pick up a second hand copy of this game then I’d suggest there is enough content to merit the extra fee.

Even the single player mode gets involved in the online activities. Many holes come with GamerNet challenges such as longest drive or nearest to the pin. Beat the challenge and get yourself some points. So far I’ve managed a grand total 3 points but I’m proud of my 3 points nevertheless.

On the visuals front it is a decent looking game but a lot can depend on the course you are playing. On closer inspection you do notice things that could be better if you are fussy. There is a 10mph cross wind but yet none of the leaves are moving. The commentary is pretty much spot on and it does feel like watching golf on the TV. If you pay attention the commentary team do give you some pointers although sometimes their idea of a poor shot and mine seem to differ.

The 2011 incarnation still retains the odd frustrating moment where the height and wind don’t have the impact they should do or the putt preview seems to completely mislead but most of the time a poor shot is your own doing and the confusing moments don’t happen too often.

The PS3 version comes with support for Move via a free downloadable update.

As always, Tiger Woods is a fine golf game. If you’ve never liked a Tiger Woods game before then this will not convert you. If you have enjoyed a Tiger Woods game before then you’ll pretty much get what you expect although you may not like some of the tweaking. I’d never recommend someone buy each iteration of any EA Sports titles but for those that do, the Ryder Cup is the major extra for this year.

8/10
Wed 11/08/10 at 09:17
"possibly impossible"
Great review, Dav.

I get the feeling that Tiger Woods games are getting increasingly un-realistic in all their new tricks and additions while the graphics are getting increasingly realistic.

Will be interesting to see how it works with the Move controller, but for now I'll stick to Tiger 10 and the Wii MotionPlus which works far better than the old Wii remote version.
Wed 11/08/10 at 09:22
Regular
"And in last place.."
Thanks pb.

I've yet to sample Tiger Woods and Motion Plus but I've played the 09 version on the Wii and I enjoyed that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.