GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Toy Story 3 (Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Toy Story 3'.
Tue 10/08/10 at 10:26
"possibly impossible"
Toys R Us
Kids games! They’re all too short, too simple and have too many mini games. What chance, then, does Toy Story 3 have? Plenty, it seems, if Pixar have anything to do with it.

You won’t be surprised to hear that the game follows the plot of the film closely, from the initial scenes of Evil Doctor Porkchop through to the story of Woody and Buzz’s attempts to fit in when Andy grows up. Every level is varied and has you doing something different. I particularly enjoyed the chase in the first episode, having to avoid falling rocks and jump over obstacles and the surprise of playing Buzz Lightyear The Game.

There are a few issues with things like climbing and the control method can be a tad unforgiving at times, some younger players may need help with the more difficult parts. As with any game that uses different styles in each level some work better than others but, that said, none are particularly bad and it’s nice to have a bit of variety.

Getting a Buzz
Nothing feels rushed or incomplete and every level is fun to play through, but it’s the graphics on the Wii that impressed me most. Having played the demo on the PS3 the Wii graphics do a good job of trying to keep up. It may be missing some detail but pretty much everything is there and runs smoothly too.

Sound is provided by people trying to re-inact the original voice cast, which doesn’t quite work well enough to keep the feeling of authenticity in the game but it’s also not so bad that younger players won’t notice. In fact I’d say because there really isn’t that much dialogue it gives the music much more of a chance to make an impression.

Toying Around
But it’s not the main game that excites me most, it’s the Toy Box mode which will keep me (and the kids) playing this for some time to come.

Toy Box is basically an area where you can build a town, design the houses and dress the people up then do tasks for them to earn yet more items to play around with. Think Animal Crossing but set in Woody’s Wild West world and you’ve got some idea of what it’s like.

The Toy Box is an ingenious idea and would probably sell a game in its own right. The limitations of the Wii mean that you can only have one player though, where the PS3 and 360 seem to be able to use 2 players at once and even the main game on the Wii has a 2 player option. It’s a bit of a shame as I could see it being even more fun for two to interact with the town.

Woody’s Roundup
It’s difficult to score this game. If I was comparing it to other kid’s movie games then I’d say it’s one of the best I’ve played, if I’m comparing it to action games then it still stands up well but doesn’t look quite as favourable. If you’re looking at a target audience of 5-10 year olds its perfect though and even adults will have some fun with Toy Box mode.

7/10
Tue 10/08/10 at 10:26
"possibly impossible"
Toys R Us
Kids games! They’re all too short, too simple and have too many mini games. What chance, then, does Toy Story 3 have? Plenty, it seems, if Pixar have anything to do with it.

You won’t be surprised to hear that the game follows the plot of the film closely, from the initial scenes of Evil Doctor Porkchop through to the story of Woody and Buzz’s attempts to fit in when Andy grows up. Every level is varied and has you doing something different. I particularly enjoyed the chase in the first episode, having to avoid falling rocks and jump over obstacles and the surprise of playing Buzz Lightyear The Game.

There are a few issues with things like climbing and the control method can be a tad unforgiving at times, some younger players may need help with the more difficult parts. As with any game that uses different styles in each level some work better than others but, that said, none are particularly bad and it’s nice to have a bit of variety.

Getting a Buzz
Nothing feels rushed or incomplete and every level is fun to play through, but it’s the graphics on the Wii that impressed me most. Having played the demo on the PS3 the Wii graphics do a good job of trying to keep up. It may be missing some detail but pretty much everything is there and runs smoothly too.

Sound is provided by people trying to re-inact the original voice cast, which doesn’t quite work well enough to keep the feeling of authenticity in the game but it’s also not so bad that younger players won’t notice. In fact I’d say because there really isn’t that much dialogue it gives the music much more of a chance to make an impression.

Toying Around
But it’s not the main game that excites me most, it’s the Toy Box mode which will keep me (and the kids) playing this for some time to come.

Toy Box is basically an area where you can build a town, design the houses and dress the people up then do tasks for them to earn yet more items to play around with. Think Animal Crossing but set in Woody’s Wild West world and you’ve got some idea of what it’s like.

The Toy Box is an ingenious idea and would probably sell a game in its own right. The limitations of the Wii mean that you can only have one player though, where the PS3 and 360 seem to be able to use 2 players at once and even the main game on the Wii has a 2 player option. It’s a bit of a shame as I could see it being even more fun for two to interact with the town.

Woody’s Roundup
It’s difficult to score this game. If I was comparing it to other kid’s movie games then I’d say it’s one of the best I’ve played, if I’m comparing it to action games then it still stands up well but doesn’t look quite as favourable. If you’re looking at a target audience of 5-10 year olds its perfect though and even adults will have some fun with Toy Box mode.

7/10
Wed 11/08/10 at 09:27
Regular
"And in last place.."
Thanks pb, you have confirmed I was right not to get this game with my Wii. It was a choice between this (for my daughter) and New Super Mario Bros (for me) and I ifigured at 4 she might be a bit young to be able to control it. She's probably not far from being able to do it but she would no doubt lose interest quickly if she couldn't do it properly.
Mon 16/08/10 at 09:14
"possibly impossible"
Thanks Dav. I'd say the Toy Box mode is ok for a 4 year old, just, but at the same time the controls are a little fiddly. My 5 (nearly 6) year old found it difficult in the main game but was very happy playing Toy Box, especially once we'd unlocked Bullseye.
Mon 16/08/10 at 14:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
The Toy Box mode sounds a great deal of fun! Looking forward to giving it a go when it comes through on rental!

Great review pb! Love the headings in your reviews! Very clever!
Thu 19/08/10 at 15:39
"possibly impossible"
Thanks HM!

I ended up playing all the platforming bits myself, actually had fun doing it. The Toy Box is fantastic though and from all I hear the PS3 and 360 versions are even more in-depth (though probably more suited to older children who prefer a controller to a Wii remote and to adults looking for better HD graphics).
Mon 23/08/10 at 11:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
You're welcome :)

I watched the film yesterday and thought it was brilliant. Set up to have a game tie-in, as saw so many bits that could easily be turned into a game. Lets hope it gets out to me before I go to uni!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.