GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Great Gaming Memories"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/11/01 at 12:25
Regular
I'm 21 now and have been playing games for as long as i can remember.In that time i've had many great times staring at a t.v with a control pad in my hands.
These are some of my memories....

Spectrum & Atari 2600.

Ahh, the old Spectrum. Many times i would sit up till 8.00 (it seemed late in those days)watching my dad play it on a black & white telly from the kitchen. You think the PS1 had long loading times...the Spectrum took about 5 mins to load each game!!
It wasn't that easy to play the games with a naff joystick, but the games were so cheap (we still have 100s in our loft)
Many people would say that Spectrum games were great, but they weren't.
O.k, that was the technology at the time, but todays games with their 3d exploration, movie style soundtracks, etc are far superior if lacking the originality of their gaming fore-fathers.
I also had an Atari 2600, which my brother won in a competition do make a dinosaur out of cardboard egg cartons & boxes (but my dad actually made it;-) ).
The Atari 2600 wasn't a bad system. The 2-player Tank battles & co-op Space Invaders were great fun.
That was the start of expensive gaming. Whereas some Spectrum games could be bought for pence, Atari 2600 games could cost around £30-£40 and that was the early 80's!

NES

Finally, a Nintendo console.
We (as in my brother and i) got the NES for Christmas one year. My brother got Super Mario 2 for his birthday(the end of November) so we read the instruction book for Mario 2 many many times in anticipation.
My dad & sister had a right old snigger at the fact that they had played on the NES before we did, in their words "we were just testing it" (that old chestnut!)
Christmas arrived, the wait was over, Mario 2 & Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles were fantastic.
I remember the NES as a great 2-player machine, classics like Snake Rattle and Roll (developed by RARE), Super Spike Vollyball and Chip N Dale gave my brother and i a real gaming bond.
The NES game my dad would best remember is Disneys Duck Tales.It cost him about £40 and i literally completed it on my first go. You should have seen his face when the end credits came up!
Soon the SNES was around the corner. So we came to the tough decision to sell the NES and all the games (about 10 or so games...seemed like loads at the time!)
But it was worth it.

SNES

Again, we would be getting the SNES for Christmas, so in anticipation of getting Street Fighter 2, we arranged all the fights before-hand on paper (but in sneaky preparation i copied all the SF2 moves onto paper and studied them for the Christmas battle). The studying paid off, in our first fight i was the victor, Ken beat Ryu.
Before we got the SNES however, i still remember watchig SF2 play in Tandys window. My brother and i would stand, our noses pressed up against the glass (to people in the shop we must have looked like two dwarf piggy boys!), just watching the demo in awe, knowing we would play it one day.
That sort of gaming magic has never really returned since.
Mario Kart was a major surprise. My brother had gone to our local video shop looking for some other game we wanted, when he came back i asked him if he got the game, he said no , but i did get this game...he then produced a copy of Mario Kart from his coat pocket. Wow..i'd seen a few screenshots, but they didn't do justice to the way it played. 2-player grand prix...heaven.
Many classic games like Zelda, Secret of Mana, ISS, etc followed.

N64

By the time the N64 came out, we had part-time jobs, so could afford to get it without sacrificing our beloved SNES. We were gutted when the N64 didn't come out at Christmas we thought it would, but March 1st came along quickly.
We got down to Dixons before it opened (much to the ridicule of our family) there was only one other person there. That was lucky, because they only got 2 N64s in and 4 games; 2 Mario 64s, 1 Pilotwings and 1 Shadows of the Empire.
The other person only wanted an N64 and Mario, so we snapped up the rest of Dixons entire launch day supply!(at around £400!!).
My jaw still hasn't reset properly after it hit the floor seeing the camera swoop around Peach Castle in Mario 64!
GoldenEye-getting GoldenEye a week early is still one of the best days i've had on this planet. I saw the demo playing in Game on their big screen, knowing i'd have still have to wait seven long, boring days. BUT..when i went to the import shop the same afternoon, there it was on the shelf...official, U.K, GoldenEye.
To this day, i'm still pretty sure that i gave the correct money at the counter and they gave me £10 change??!!
After many many classic games, alas, the N64 is giving its last dying breath.

Playstation

During our N64 period, we decided to get a Playstation aswell, knowing it had many great titles available.
I don't think i was as excited as much as previous consoles, but it was still a great experience.
Playing near arcade perfect beat em ups like Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha and Soul Blade at home, and horror games like the Resident Evil series.
I'm glad i got my PS1 as it had some truly great games.

Dreamcast

Shortish life-span, but some great games.
I was to get my Dreamcast from a mail-order company, however, after a week of waiting and many phone calls, i cancelled the order and got it from Special Reserve instead.
Powerstone, MSR, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Code Veronica...class.

Gameboy Advance

It seems that it's been the Nintendo consoles which have had me most excited down the years, but the GBA was a surprise, there was no anticipation because i didn't expect to get it when i did.
I was very surprised to see the Japanese version on sale over here so close to the launch in Japan.
So me and my brother got one each, together with a copy of Mario and F-Zero. Almost another £400!! but it was well worth it.

PS2

I only recently got my PS2.
GT3 and GTA3 are both great and there looks like many more good titles to come.

The Future...

Gamecube next year, maybe an X-Box (a bit pricey maybe??)
After that....who knows.

Thanks for reading.
Wed 21/11/01 at 12:25
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I'm 21 now and have been playing games for as long as i can remember.In that time i've had many great times staring at a t.v with a control pad in my hands.
These are some of my memories....

Spectrum & Atari 2600.

Ahh, the old Spectrum. Many times i would sit up till 8.00 (it seemed late in those days)watching my dad play it on a black & white telly from the kitchen. You think the PS1 had long loading times...the Spectrum took about 5 mins to load each game!!
It wasn't that easy to play the games with a naff joystick, but the games were so cheap (we still have 100s in our loft)
Many people would say that Spectrum games were great, but they weren't.
O.k, that was the technology at the time, but todays games with their 3d exploration, movie style soundtracks, etc are far superior if lacking the originality of their gaming fore-fathers.
I also had an Atari 2600, which my brother won in a competition do make a dinosaur out of cardboard egg cartons & boxes (but my dad actually made it;-) ).
The Atari 2600 wasn't a bad system. The 2-player Tank battles & co-op Space Invaders were great fun.
That was the start of expensive gaming. Whereas some Spectrum games could be bought for pence, Atari 2600 games could cost around £30-£40 and that was the early 80's!

NES

Finally, a Nintendo console.
We (as in my brother and i) got the NES for Christmas one year. My brother got Super Mario 2 for his birthday(the end of November) so we read the instruction book for Mario 2 many many times in anticipation.
My dad & sister had a right old snigger at the fact that they had played on the NES before we did, in their words "we were just testing it" (that old chestnut!)
Christmas arrived, the wait was over, Mario 2 & Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles were fantastic.
I remember the NES as a great 2-player machine, classics like Snake Rattle and Roll (developed by RARE), Super Spike Vollyball and Chip N Dale gave my brother and i a real gaming bond.
The NES game my dad would best remember is Disneys Duck Tales.It cost him about £40 and i literally completed it on my first go. You should have seen his face when the end credits came up!
Soon the SNES was around the corner. So we came to the tough decision to sell the NES and all the games (about 10 or so games...seemed like loads at the time!)
But it was worth it.

SNES

Again, we would be getting the SNES for Christmas, so in anticipation of getting Street Fighter 2, we arranged all the fights before-hand on paper (but in sneaky preparation i copied all the SF2 moves onto paper and studied them for the Christmas battle). The studying paid off, in our first fight i was the victor, Ken beat Ryu.
Before we got the SNES however, i still remember watchig SF2 play in Tandys window. My brother and i would stand, our noses pressed up against the glass (to people in the shop we must have looked like two dwarf piggy boys!), just watching the demo in awe, knowing we would play it one day.
That sort of gaming magic has never really returned since.
Mario Kart was a major surprise. My brother had gone to our local video shop looking for some other game we wanted, when he came back i asked him if he got the game, he said no , but i did get this game...he then produced a copy of Mario Kart from his coat pocket. Wow..i'd seen a few screenshots, but they didn't do justice to the way it played. 2-player grand prix...heaven.
Many classic games like Zelda, Secret of Mana, ISS, etc followed.

N64

By the time the N64 came out, we had part-time jobs, so could afford to get it without sacrificing our beloved SNES. We were gutted when the N64 didn't come out at Christmas we thought it would, but March 1st came along quickly.
We got down to Dixons before it opened (much to the ridicule of our family) there was only one other person there. That was lucky, because they only got 2 N64s in and 4 games; 2 Mario 64s, 1 Pilotwings and 1 Shadows of the Empire.
The other person only wanted an N64 and Mario, so we snapped up the rest of Dixons entire launch day supply!(at around £400!!).
My jaw still hasn't reset properly after it hit the floor seeing the camera swoop around Peach Castle in Mario 64!
GoldenEye-getting GoldenEye a week early is still one of the best days i've had on this planet. I saw the demo playing in Game on their big screen, knowing i'd have still have to wait seven long, boring days. BUT..when i went to the import shop the same afternoon, there it was on the shelf...official, U.K, GoldenEye.
To this day, i'm still pretty sure that i gave the correct money at the counter and they gave me £10 change??!!
After many many classic games, alas, the N64 is giving its last dying breath.

Playstation

During our N64 period, we decided to get a Playstation aswell, knowing it had many great titles available.
I don't think i was as excited as much as previous consoles, but it was still a great experience.
Playing near arcade perfect beat em ups like Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha and Soul Blade at home, and horror games like the Resident Evil series.
I'm glad i got my PS1 as it had some truly great games.

Dreamcast

Shortish life-span, but some great games.
I was to get my Dreamcast from a mail-order company, however, after a week of waiting and many phone calls, i cancelled the order and got it from Special Reserve instead.
Powerstone, MSR, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Code Veronica...class.

Gameboy Advance

It seems that it's been the Nintendo consoles which have had me most excited down the years, but the GBA was a surprise, there was no anticipation because i didn't expect to get it when i did.
I was very surprised to see the Japanese version on sale over here so close to the launch in Japan.
So me and my brother got one each, together with a copy of Mario and F-Zero. Almost another £400!! but it was well worth it.

PS2

I only recently got my PS2.
GT3 and GTA3 are both great and there looks like many more good titles to come.

The Future...

Gamecube next year, maybe an X-Box (a bit pricey maybe??)
After that....who knows.

Thanks for reading.
Wed 21/11/01 at 13:27
Regular
"I confused?"
Buy a mega drive with the streets of rage on it. Then your gaming life will be complete.
Wed 21/11/01 at 15:42
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Dr. Nebster Crippen wrote:
> Buy a mega drive with the streets of rage on it. Then your gaming life will be
> complete.

well, i had Final Fight on the SNES, and now again with 2-player link up mode on the GBA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.