GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Global release dates"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 11:49
Regular
Okay, so I know it's been discussed before, but recent events have really rammed home the need for global release dates - at least for some games.

I'm sure many PS2 owners will already know what I'm talking about, but for the rest of you, I'll explain - without giving anything away to those who don't already know.

As you will all know, the plot of Metal Gear Solid 2 has been a closely guarded secret by Hideo Kojima and all the staff at Konami involved with the game, and surprisingly, very little has been leaked prior to the games release in the US.

But with the release of the game in the US, the internet has been flooded with all manner of spoiler information, not least one very major plot twist that I doubt anyone saw coming.

Why am I annoyed? Simple - the website I saw this information on had no spoiler warnings whatsoever, and just blurted out information. Consequently I will not read any other story relating to MGS2 until after I've played the game; I'm hoping that this hasn't already ruined my enjoyment.

So, why not have a global release date for this game? It's unquestionably the most anticipated game on PS2, and they went through so much to keep the plot secret, only to have it ruined for those of us in Europe by careless and stupid webmasters trying to be 'first' with the 'big news' - no consideration to those who cannot yet play the game.

I understand that the game needs conversion to the PAL system - but they know this when they start on the game, so why not develop both concurrently? And if that is too difficult, why not sit on the NTSC version until the PAL version is ready? It's been two years in the making - what will another three months hurt?

Besides, there's no need to 'upset' the US market by telling them that they must wait another three months, because they could simply have announced a global release date to begin with. Simply say "MGS2 - global release on 22 Feb 2002" (or whenever) and presto - nobody is disappointed, and you don't have to worry about major plotlines being given away in your as-yet uncatered for market.

I'm sure many, many people have been extremely disappointed by this. If a spoiler warning is present, then it's not really a problem, but otherwise you don't realise what you're reading until it's too late.

Obviously this isn't an issue with most games, but with something as immense as MGS2, it should certainly have been considered.
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:49
"High polygon count"
Okay, so I know it's been discussed before, but recent events have really rammed home the need for global release dates - at least for some games.

I'm sure many PS2 owners will already know what I'm talking about, but for the rest of you, I'll explain - without giving anything away to those who don't already know.

As you will all know, the plot of Metal Gear Solid 2 has been a closely guarded secret by Hideo Kojima and all the staff at Konami involved with the game, and surprisingly, very little has been leaked prior to the games release in the US.

But with the release of the game in the US, the internet has been flooded with all manner of spoiler information, not least one very major plot twist that I doubt anyone saw coming.

Why am I annoyed? Simple - the website I saw this information on had no spoiler warnings whatsoever, and just blurted out information. Consequently I will not read any other story relating to MGS2 until after I've played the game; I'm hoping that this hasn't already ruined my enjoyment.

So, why not have a global release date for this game? It's unquestionably the most anticipated game on PS2, and they went through so much to keep the plot secret, only to have it ruined for those of us in Europe by careless and stupid webmasters trying to be 'first' with the 'big news' - no consideration to those who cannot yet play the game.

I understand that the game needs conversion to the PAL system - but they know this when they start on the game, so why not develop both concurrently? And if that is too difficult, why not sit on the NTSC version until the PAL version is ready? It's been two years in the making - what will another three months hurt?

Besides, there's no need to 'upset' the US market by telling them that they must wait another three months, because they could simply have announced a global release date to begin with. Simply say "MGS2 - global release on 22 Feb 2002" (or whenever) and presto - nobody is disappointed, and you don't have to worry about major plotlines being given away in your as-yet uncatered for market.

I'm sure many, many people have been extremely disappointed by this. If a spoiler warning is present, then it's not really a problem, but otherwise you don't realise what you're reading until it's too late.

Obviously this isn't an issue with most games, but with something as immense as MGS2, it should certainly have been considered.
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:53
Regular
Basically, Konami want to make a bomb in the US on Christmas sales.

Just like Nintendo, they might make good games but they don't seem to really care for Europe.

Japan is their homeland.
USA is the big market place.

Europe is just some extra place with not so many customers but loads of awkward languages to translate to, a PAL electrical system to deal with and all sorts of other annoyances.

They really don't care for us very much...
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:53
Regular
And those people in the US are sitting saying, why we should we have to wait to play the best game of all time because those numpties use a better display system than us?? They aren't as stupid as we like to think they are...
Mon 19/11/01 at 12:00
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> And those people in the US are sitting saying, why we should we have to wait to
> play the best game of all time because those numpties use a better display
> system than us??

But if Konami had just said "global release on..." then no-one would be upset.

Konami rleased MGS2 in the US first because that's where MGS1 sold best. After the US, Europe was the biggest market. They've already got the English language, so following Konami's logic, we should follow the US - not Japan. I suspect they won't be recording the dialog in every other European language, just changing the subtitles - something which could have been done easily during the main development of the game. After all, the script has been written for a long time.
Mon 19/11/01 at 12:08
Regular
People are always upset, they always complain and they always moan, I've accepted that people cannot be made happy. I accept that in Europe we use a different display system to that used in the US and Japan, so when games are developed in those countries, we wait and get a supported version. It only gets my back up when the version is poorly converted and not optimised.

If we are waiting for a version in the UK which is PAL optimised, runs at the speed it should and doesn't have ugly black borders, I will be happy, if it isn't optimised, then I'll be a moan, and join you in the why are we waiting campaign, or the why didn't you make them wait too campaign......

P.S. I think I get what your saying, btw. The game could've been released here now, but it wouldn't be a PAL optimised version, and running an optimisation on an unfinished game would just be a pain in the backside, you want to make sure the thing works before optimising. With MGS2 the production budget will have been so enormous that the company needs to start re-couping that cash as soon as it can, so releasing the game in it's most successful territory as soon as you can is a must. We can wait for an optimised verion whilst they keep their heads above water.

Therefore, the game optimisation waits until the NTSC version is finished so Konami can start making up the production costs, and make sure the game is perfect before mucking about with PAL optimisations.
Mon 19/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
Japan get MSG2 quickly because that is where the game is made.

Wookiee wants the US version to wait until the UK version is ready so that the story isn't ruined.

This won't happen because Konami and Sony want it in the bg US market in time for Christmas.

I advise Wookiee to find some import shop where he can get his PS2 chipped.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:06
Regular
Global release dates would be nice, but I don`t think its a realistic possibility for a while yet.

As for the comments about Konami not liking Europe, that is completely untrue, as they are often quite caring towards us. Comparing Konami to Nintendo in terms of dislike for Europe is ridiculous.

The spoilers are the fault of the websites, not Konami. If its traced back a while, then I guess you could say Konami is responsible, but that is like saying Mrs Bin Laden Senior is responsible for the New York crashes, because she gave birth to Osama.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:46
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> Wookiee wants the US version to wait until the UK version is ready so that the story isn't
> ruined.

I don't want it to wait - it's already too late for that. I'm just saying that Konami could easily have gone for a global release date on this particular game, due its very nature - i.e. 'best game ever'.

I personally don't think that MGS2 would have suffered by missing the Xmas period in the US marketplace, as it is just such a huge game - it will sell in its millions whatever time of the year it's released.

Besides, if they believe that the Xmas period will significantly enhance sales, they could have developed a PAL version concurrently and released in all three territories before Xmas.

> I advise Wookiee to find some import shop where he can
> get his PS2 chipped.

I would never consider that, no matter what!

Generally I have no problem with games being released elsewhere first; if a game needs improving/optimising for the UK market, then so be it. Even GT3's staggered release was not an issue as far as I'm concerned. We'll get it when we get it, and that's fine by me.

It's just that, as I said, so much secrecy was placed around the MGS2 storyline, because Kojima didn't want it spoiled for the players, that it seems ridiculous to then defeat it all by having a staggered release and allowing it to be spoiled for the millions across Europe - which, based on the MGS1 sales as mentioned earlier, is Konami's second largest market for MGS2.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:49
"High polygon count"
ssxpro wrote:
> The spoilers are the fault of the websites, not Konami.

I agree totally. But I also think that Konami must obviously have known what would happen, and thus planned a global release from the start.

If they'd simply said "global release on..." then no-one would have been any the wiser - no one would have known if the two versions were being developed concurrently, or if the US were waiting another 3 months for the PAL code to be completed, so no one would have any genuine complaints.
Mon 19/11/01 at 15:50
Regular
I think you must've mis interpreted my wording.

You think that Konami should've released it Globally in one go to stop the story being spoiled for those waiting.

This would mean that the finished US version would have to wait until the European Pal version was ready, which no one in the US would mind if they didn't know that they were waiting for Europe.

But Konami needed it out in the US quickly for 2 reasons:

1) Sony probably wanted out in time to compete with the Gamecube and Xbox.

2) Both companies wanted to cash in on Christmas.

Either way, it's not entirely surprising...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.