GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GTA3 for PC?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/11/01 at 15:39
Regular
Hmm, GTA3 for PC?

Yes, it's true, it's MONKEY true!

Grand Theft Auto 3 is coming out roughly this time next year(about 12th November is the current release date!!!!!). And it is said to have even BETTER graphics then the PS2 version! I can't wait.

Thoughts???
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:17
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I think it's highly unlikely we'll be playing GTA4 before GTA3 comes out on the PC. It is likely, however, that there will be another if not two more GTA games on the PS2.
Tue 20/11/01 at 11:32
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I didn't realise it was gonna take that long to come out!
might aswell buy a PS2 and GTA3 play it until I either complete it or get bored and sell them, then again, I don't think so.
Tue 20/11/01 at 00:55
"High polygon count"
Anyway, time for bed... g'night, Mr. Grim!
Tue 20/11/01 at 00:50
"High polygon count"
GrimMetal wrote:
> No chance mate. GTA4 will have to come out on the PS3 which Sony have announced
> for 2 years time.

Sony haven't announced anything of the sort. They've said that the Xbox (no mention of the Gamecube - different target audience) changes the life cycle of the console market. This *may* mean an early release, it may not - it's just too early to say at the moment.

PS3 has been in development since PS2 was launched, will be for some time yet, and will probably not be ready to go on the market until 2004/5.

Apart from a few hardware features, the Gamecube actually has less graphical power than the PS2, with significantly less polygons and less texture memory. In fact, over-all, the plus and minus points of each machine result in them being almost equal. The Xbox is technically superior to both the PS2 and Gamecube, no question - but the difference isn't as great as MS would have us believe.

Add to that the fact that PS2 has already sold 20+ million units, the price cut has sent sales through the roof, Xbox games have been labelled 'disppointing' by those on these forums who've had the opportunity to play them, and the fact that Nintendo have only sold one third of the expected number of Gamecubes since its Japanese launch, and I think that PS2 is in a fairly commanding position.

> Also early reports seem to indicate it will be fresh
> technology with NO backward compatibility.

That is not flaw of any kind in my opinion, as no console has had backward-compatibility prior to PS2. It was simply a bonus for PS2 owners upgrading from PS1, and was possible simply because Sony decided to use PS1's main processor as the I/O processor for PS2.

And getting back to the original point :-) ... whether it be on the PS2, PS3, Xbox or Gamecube (which I intend to have anyway), it'll still be GTA4 when the PC gets GTA3.
Mon 19/11/01 at 23:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I personally recon a PS3 in 2 years is a bad move, and the NEW Technology thing, that would make it worse for PS2 owners who may feel a little hatefull towards Sony for diching the PS2 that Early. But I can't see that happening, a PS3 in 2003 doesn't sound logical.
Mon 19/11/01 at 23:17
No chance mate. GTA4 will have to come out on the PS3 which Sony have announced for 2 years time.

They now realise that the Gamecube and XBox are graphically superior to the ps2 (and before anyone attacks my comments they were made by a sony director in the Financial Times) so have decided to bring out the ps3 earlier than expected. Also early reports seem to indicate it will be fresh technology with NO backward compatibility.
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:59
"High polygon count"
But when you're getting GTA3 for your PC, we may well be getting GTA4...

Who knows...
Mon 19/11/01 at 00:59
Regular
"I'm you + 1!"
The PC will need some high specifications to run it though I believe, although if you have the specs it will no doubt be better running on a PC.
Mon 19/11/01 at 00:55
Regular
"How Handy."
PCs are better than PSX2s =oP.

Though we wont get into that now..
Sun 18/11/01 at 17:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I think for the amount of money me and quite a lot of other people are going to have to spend on their PCs to get better graphics than the PlayStation 2 version I could buy a PlayStation 2 (which I have already, but that's beside the point).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.