GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I Prefer a DS To a PSP..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/05/07 at 14:32
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Just thought i'd share my initial thoughts on my DS:

The console is really good and light, much easier to carry and transport around than a PSP. Good range of games, I found at least 15 I would be interested in getting.

Also, the Touch screen works really well. It can be used instead, or in accompliment, to the usual A,B,X,Y buttons. It's certainly a lot better and easier to use than the analog style feature on the PSP, which my hands often slid off and was very uncomfortable to use, not just the surface of it, but the location of it on the PSP. The PSP also had poor battery life, and is far more fragile than a DS.

The range of games for the DS, as I already touched on, is a lot better. JUst by searching through Amazon, I found some games I like, such as Mario Basketball, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, two Yoshi games, a range of Pokemon games, a range of Mario games, those Brain Trainign gams everyone has been going on about. Theres also the 'Must Buys' Like Pro Evo 6 and Need for Speed. Theres even a Burnout game out there, although from what I've heard it isn't a patch on the console versions.

I also found a Crash Bandicoot game, which always entertain me. There's also a couple of Tony Hawks games, and some good film based games such as Ice Age 2. Two games I decided against purchasing were 'Animal Crossing: Wld World'. Now the last time I heard so many rave reviews and so much hype over a game was GTA3, and that's saying something. The other one was 'Cooking Mama', which is a neat idea in which basically you take on the role of a chef!

As for the games i've bought:

Pokemon Diamond

This reminds me of why I love gaming. This is the best Pokemon game since Blue, when Pokemon was a worldwide phenomenon. The game is challenging, original, addictive and has a very long life, as yo can always train up your pokemon more! Honestly, believe the hype, this game is well worth buying. The best of the DS games that I have, and this comes highly recommended!

Spiderman 3

Now upon first playing this, I got very annoyed with the touch screen dominating the game, and being used for more than one function at the same time. However, I now love this game! Just swinging around as Spiderman is hours of fun, and like Pokemon, you don't just have to do 'Missions' as such (I suppose you could call it Gyms in Pokemon Diamond) you can just run around (or swing around) defeating baddies and feeling good about yourself. I wouldn't call this a must buy, but it's worth a look!

Diddy Kong Racing

Having never played the Nintendo 64 version, but having played Mario Kart, I would go out and call this the best racing game on the DS. It reminds me of Crash Team racing on PSone, although not up to that calibre quite yet. It's a good time filler, although doesn't have the depth of the two games i've already mentioned. However, because it's the best DS racing game (in my humble opinion) I would stick my neck out and say buy it!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team

For starters, this game doesn't have the greatest of graphics. It certainly looks like more GBA quality. I nhaven't played this game much, but it's very basic in my opinion. The gameplay is very one dimesnional and a bit limited at times. There isn't really much use for the touch screen either. I wouldn't recommend this at the moment, but that's subject to change when i've played it a bit more. Only for the most Hardcore of Pokemon of fans is my intial judgement.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

A novel idea for a game, and despite only having only completed one cae at this stage, I would say this is a fantastic game. You take on the role of a defence lawyer, and try to defend someone in court. Now for starters this game isn't active, there's a lot of reading to do and it's perhaps only good for the more patient and intellectual gamer. The graphics are top notch, the touch screen works well, and I definitely plan on cracking another case this weekend. A worthwhile purchase.

DR Kawashima's Brain Training

I only got this game yesterday, took the brain age chck and my brain age is 55, apparently. The thing with this game is you hav to sit down for a while with it and get used to it. It also does what it says on the tin is how i'd put it, in the fact I played it while tired and instantly developed a headache. However the ability ofr the DS to recognise what you're writing is very clever, and is this is supposedly the best selling DS game, it must be good. I'd be able to give a better judgement in a little while (And when my Brain age is a lot better).

Tiger Woods: PGA Tour

I've also got Tiger Woods PGA Tour, first off it was a bargain, a mere tenner off of Amazon. I've only played this game for half an hour or so and all I can really say is the graphics ae great, but the controls are going to get a little while to get used to. I'm suprised they haven't followed up this game, as this is the 2005 version, but don't let that put you off, it looks a very well put together game at the moment.

Well, those are my thoughts, thanks for reading ;)
Fri 18/05/07 at 07:51
"LOLLERSKATES!"
I just make sure I always keep the games in boxes. It's the stylus I often panic about losing, although i've got 3 spare.
Thu 17/05/07 at 22:42
Regular
my kids play their ds far more than their psp
we have a good sirletion pn both
i would like to say we have a lot more on the ds than the psp but with the games beeing so small a lot of them have been lost
hand held are great on holls
Thu 17/05/07 at 14:45
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Still got about 35 PSone games, including all of the Crash Bandicoots :)

I play my DS everywhere, mostly at home actually.
Thu 17/05/07 at 12:12
"possibly impossible"
hah. I didn't see my mistake. Well spotted.
Thu 17/05/07 at 11:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
is vic ribbon, vib's brother? :P
Thu 17/05/07 at 10:58
"possibly impossible"
Certainly the built in Playstation 1 compatibility in the hacked version has helped bring PSP gaming back to life for me.

Parappa, Vic Ribbon and the Tekken series anyone?
Thu 17/05/07 at 00:48
Regular
"Captain to you."
Yeah i guess it just really depends what you are looking for out of a device, like yo say if you have all other devices to do other things you don't need one that covers a few of them really unless you need space in bags when travelling.

A lot of people i know tend to play their portable consoles at home, and i am the same most of the time, be it for the wi-fi or just to get past a level that i don't what to do when travelling.

The PSP for me is a nice mix of media player and games machine, it offers pretty decent graphics but unfortunately only a few great games. It's main failing point is that it doesn't really have many original titles and is basically just stuck with previous playstation titles which isn't going to appeal to everyone really.

The DS does have a far better line up of games in my opinion but then it will be down to personal tastes in games anyway.
Wed 16/05/07 at 14:29
"LOLLERSKATES!"
I found Loco Roco to short, I completed it within a day or two. Good game, but very easy.

I don't really want to shell out in excess of £25 on a stick. I've already got a Portable DVD Player, and an Ipod, so I suppose that's another reason why I don't need a PSP. To re-iterate, the DS is definitely the better games console, and that's all I care about.

I'm quite happy to use my PC for emulators, I didn't want to bother with my firmware either.
Wed 16/05/07 at 13:52
Regular
"Captain to you."
Memory sticks aren't that bad, i picked up a 4 gig one on ebay for £35 off ebay that's a fair few films on one stick.

The DS does have more decent games but the good games on the PSP like Monster Hunter Freedom and Gundam have a lot of life in them.

Once you switch to custom firmware, emulators give you a world of other games that are great for on the move.
Wed 16/05/07 at 13:49
"possibly impossible"
I'm quite happy with a 4 Gig memory stick (£25 on ebay) and another 2 gig for any further films etc that I need. It's ideal for my daughter to watch cartoons on the plane while I play the DS as well.

I do like some of the games on the PSP, Burnout, Locoroco and Hot Shots Golf for instance, and it certainly does emulation far better than the DS. So I have my PSP for emulators, the odd game and movie files and I have my DS for games and the odd MP3 (though my Ipod does most of that).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.