GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3? Not yet shurley!! - Stolen from IGN"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 07:47
Regular
Sony executives discuss of PS2's possibly shortened lifespan.

November 14, 2001

According to the Financial Times, Sony executives are currently discussing the possibility of bringing the PlayStation 3 to market earlier than expected. Sony's biggest worry? Microsoft's Xbox.
"The biggest threat to PlayStation 2 is that the Xbox changes the industry's life cycle," said Kunitake Ando, Sony's president and chief operating officer. "It is unclear how long we can keep this business model."

Sony, which shipped PlayStation 2 to the North American market in October 2000, traditionally expects to see a console last in the market four to five years, like the PlayStation. But the company's executives see Microsoft as the new chief rival, replacing Nintendo.

Ando explained that the Xbox could definitely shorten the PS2's life cycle. "If it reduces it to three years we're OK," he said. But he added that Sony may have to start production on PS3 earlier than previously expected, which would be a blow to Microsoft. Still, Ando said, console launches are expensive, and Sony expects to recoup losses this year with highly anticipated games, a wide variety of good first-party games, and huge sales of PS2 across the world.

"Last year we had a big loss from the PlayStation business. This year we will make very high profits. Next year competition will be intense and after that the outlook is unclear. This is a very cyclical business. Other businesses such as color televisions and camcorders are much more stable."

-----------------------------------------------------------
Personally i thik this would be a huge mistake from Sony if they were to rush the PS3!! Why? The XBox is a threat yet to proove itself... wait, dont rush!!
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:15
Regular
Sony will wait and see how well the X-box does yes itll do well in America but as for Europe and the land of the rising sun im not so sure my rival European game critic Steven Poole thinks X-box wont stand.
Thu 15/11/01 at 11:34
Regular
I don't see why Sony feel they have to adjust their business model just because the XBox is out.

So they lose a few PS2 sales to the XBox, they then bring out the PS3.

Do they really think that people who just bought an XBox will go out and buy a PS3?

Or that people who weren't sure whether to get a PS2 or an XBox will wait another 3 years and get a PS3?

Seems a little silly to me. Sony should just keep doing what they are doing - as they seem to be pretty good at it.
Thu 15/11/01 at 11:29
Regular
"I like cheese"
I can't see the X-Box being a huge threat to the PS2.

The PS2 already has a huge userbase, and with so many AAA titles coming along in the next few months, AND MGS2 being released just before the X-Box, I don't think the X-Box will live up to the PS2.

Looks like Mario and all his cartoonie friends are being shoved out the way a bit though, doesn't it?
Thu 15/11/01 at 10:38
they better not bring it out yet i will be one very unhappy person
Thu 15/11/01 at 10:34
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Well.. we all know what Sony are like with their quick sequals don't we!
Thu 15/11/01 at 07:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Sony executives discuss of PS2's possibly shortened lifespan.

November 14, 2001

According to the Financial Times, Sony executives are currently discussing the possibility of bringing the PlayStation 3 to market earlier than expected. Sony's biggest worry? Microsoft's Xbox.
"The biggest threat to PlayStation 2 is that the Xbox changes the industry's life cycle," said Kunitake Ando, Sony's president and chief operating officer. "It is unclear how long we can keep this business model."

Sony, which shipped PlayStation 2 to the North American market in October 2000, traditionally expects to see a console last in the market four to five years, like the PlayStation. But the company's executives see Microsoft as the new chief rival, replacing Nintendo.

Ando explained that the Xbox could definitely shorten the PS2's life cycle. "If it reduces it to three years we're OK," he said. But he added that Sony may have to start production on PS3 earlier than previously expected, which would be a blow to Microsoft. Still, Ando said, console launches are expensive, and Sony expects to recoup losses this year with highly anticipated games, a wide variety of good first-party games, and huge sales of PS2 across the world.

"Last year we had a big loss from the PlayStation business. This year we will make very high profits. Next year competition will be intense and after that the outlook is unclear. This is a very cyclical business. Other businesses such as color televisions and camcorders are much more stable."

-----------------------------------------------------------
Personally i thik this would be a huge mistake from Sony if they were to rush the PS3!! Why? The XBox is a threat yet to proove itself... wait, dont rush!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.