GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm a really long way from the exchange"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/05/07 at 22:33
Regular
Hi folks, apart from physically moving my house closer to the exchange, has anyone got any bright ideas what I can do to maximise the connection speed that I can get? I'm on a max speed uncapped tarrif, but only get around 1mb as my noise margins & attenuation are really close to the limit. Is there any hardware that can help with this? Is one prticular type of adsl filter more efficient than any other? Help me please, as this is driving me nuts!
regards
Matt

Downstream Margin: 5 db
Upstream Margin: 20 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 57
Upstream Line Attenuation: 31
Tue 08/05/07 at 22:33
Regular
Hi folks, apart from physically moving my house closer to the exchange, has anyone got any bright ideas what I can do to maximise the connection speed that I can get? I'm on a max speed uncapped tarrif, but only get around 1mb as my noise margins & attenuation are really close to the limit. Is there any hardware that can help with this? Is one prticular type of adsl filter more efficient than any other? Help me please, as this is driving me nuts!
regards
Matt

Downstream Margin: 5 db
Upstream Margin: 20 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 57
Upstream Line Attenuation: 31
Wed 09/05/07 at 12:13
Regular
Hello - I'm also on a long rural line :(

Previously I was on Freeola fixed 512 upcapped service.
As I was having speed problems the solution seemed to be to change to a MAX product. While still on fixed 512, in readiness for my max connection I followed tips on various adsl forums and removed the bell wire (connection 3) from all my extension sockets and the master socket. The idea being that the bell wire is no longer required and only introduces noise (RF) on the line.

My Att changed from 49 to 48.
SNR from 12 to 18.

I'm currently just over half way through my max 10 day training period.
Post max Att is 51db and SNR is 6db dropping to 1-2 in the evening. My line sync's at 5312kbps. I've currently got a BRAS profile of 2000kbps which I'm hoping will increase once my training is complete.

What speed are you syncing at?

I've read that Thomson Speedtouch routers have a good reputation for use on long lines so I may change my Netgear for one of those in the future.

Apart from the bell wire tip, obviously the best connection you can get would be to plug directly in to your BT master socket if possible rather than an extension.
Thu 10/05/07 at 09:45
"Are you sure?"
You can also get a filtered face plate for your master socket which may help. Google for adsl face place master socket for lots of info...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.