GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"URGENT HELP - MODEM PROBLEM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/05/03 at 09:02
Regular
My parents have bought a second hand pc with no paperwork, I have been trying to get them on the internet, but it keeps coming up modem not detected, how do I find out what modem is installed on their system. cant download anything as I cannot get internet access.
Tue 06/05/03 at 13:08
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I think the honest to god solution is to open the PC case and look and see if there is a modem there in the first place !
Tue 06/05/03 at 11:48
Regular
hhmm ok, is the machine a new or old one?
heres what u wanna do.

Open machine, remove the modem from the PCI slot(have turned off Obviously)

clean the card of dust and see if any info is on the card telling u if it is a modem/network card etc and model number, if like US robotics, Compaq etc etc..

boot PC up without card in, then turn off.

(PC off) place card in the first PCI slot, then reboot, depending on which windows u have if may auto add hardware, now u know the type try to choose correct one and if not use standard one 28K,56K depending which it is?

you should then see in the modem, in control panel, if u dont, then until you do and you followed the above, it maybe a problem, wiv PC or the Card and is faulty. If it did work and u added, you can test the modem by using phone dialer on start menu somewhere, then you will have to setup an ISP, get a CD from dixions(freeserve) to start you off?, or BT CD
Mon 05/05/03 at 18:03
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Ah, the phone goes dead. Well then, I haven't got a clue.

*runs*
Mon 05/05/03 at 18:02
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
spanners wrote:
> how would I know if it was a modem or network card, it did come from
> an office which was linked to a central server?

After what Adrian pointed out, I think if your phone line fitted into it, it's a modem.

So I suppose you just need the drivers. Have you been to the device manager? Even if there's a big list of drivers it recommends, you could just try any of them see if it works. If not, just uninstall them.
Mon 05/05/03 at 17:42
Regular
how would I know if it was a modem or network card, it did come from an office which was linked to a central server?
Mon 05/05/03 at 17:34
Regular
Assuming that this is a modem and not a network card, the problem of the phone going dead when you plug everything in is likely to be because of either:

1) Faulty modem. It could be "chattery", just like when network cards go on the blink, they flood the line with endless packets of data. Maybe the modem is doing something similar?
2) Faulty cables and/or connectors.

If it is a network card and not a modem (hard to belive, connectors are different), then you will definitely need to buy a new modem.
Mon 05/05/03 at 17:32
Regular
now I am getting totally confused?????? all I wanted was to get the pc hooked up to the internet thought it was gonna be a 5 minute exercise, trust parents to get second-hand pc with no paperwork
Mon 05/05/03 at 17:14
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Tóm wrote:
> So is there a chance it could be a NIC instead of a modem?

No chance of that as they use different connectors. Phone line is RJ11 and Ethernet is RJ45.
Mon 05/05/03 at 17:06
Regular
what is a NIC????????
Mon 05/05/03 at 16:47
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
So is there a chance it could be a NIC instead of a modem?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.