GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I know I've said this before, but..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/05/03 at 20:03
Regular
Well, having never really played a Zelda game before, and certainly never having owned one, I decided to chance the Wind Waker.

Right now I'm surprised at how popular it is. The speech is really annoyingly slow, with one of the most infuriating noises ever recorded at the end of each sentence. Plus the first word of the sentence is usually said, for example "Hey" or "Hello", which is just...unnecessary.

The graphics? Great in a lot of places, in others it's merely passable. I really like some bits, especially the bird that captures Aryll at the start, but the far scenery is made out of cardboard.

The jumping kind of annoys me as well. There is no jump button, but he just jumps when he reaches the end of a platform. It removes the skill, but I guess that's not really the point of the game. That's what your going to say, right? Okay, I take that on board, but at one point I jumped off a ledge thinking it was the right place to go, only to find I'd already been here and couldn't get back up to the ledge. Surely this isn't the point either? A manual jump would've let me get onto a ladder to get back up there.

Now, I haven't got very far for two reasons - hardly any time on the game, no space on the memory card. So I can't comment on battles further into it, but the ones I have done have been incredibly easy. To the point of boredom. Even when you have to get a weapon from the opponent, all you do is stand there pressing block and wait for it to hit you. And it even misses a lot of the time.

Basically random musings here, but it seems very simplistic and Mario-ish most of the time. I'm probably the only person who will understand that, but basically it isn't a good thing. And I know most people won't have got this far because the moment they saw it was primarily an anti-Zelda thread they'll have furiously stuffed on their angry hats ready to type out an amazingly flawed and typo-riddled reply on why I'm wrong in under three seconds, and that's fine. If you want to do that, go ahead, but don't expect to get anywhere. It's all subjective, there is no proof, and a lot of people can't even tell the difference between fact and opinion.

Oh, and what's with those guard pigs who have 360 degree vision?
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:43
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I got past the boss on Dragon Roost today - are there NO good camera angles? Every time you try and use the grappling hook and then realise you don't have enough time, it reverts back to the "camera-man-just-fell-over" view.
Thu 08/05/03 at 21:52
Regular
quit*
Thu 08/05/03 at 21:51
Regular
If you despise a game then quite it.. i think i worded that wrong. In relevance to this topic, i dont think blank despises Zelda...
Thu 08/05/03 at 21:09
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
oh yeah i remember that bit. I was thinking are they that lazy to leave the laughing bit in
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:56
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I've already said I'll continue to play it, but I don't think you're point about "It only happens once" is really valid.

For instance if they left just ONE blooper in a film would the film not be ruined? If in the Matrix Keanu Reeves bursts out laughing and says "Can we take that again?" right in the middle of the movie, it would be fine as long as it didn't happen again?

Oh, and I find the sea travel quite enjoyable, although I can see it getting repetitive. It's been good up to now though - and I agree with Tiltawhirl's point about it giving the impression the journey is long.
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:47
Regular
There's only two things I don't like about LoZ:WW.

One, the constant sea travelling, even with the super speed warping speedness stuff, it takes AGES just to cross one square.

Two, the camera angles, sometimes, when stuck agains't the wall, that's whatr you see, the wall. Damn it.
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:37
Regular
Blank wrote:
> I would at least like to see one frame of footage in between
> "whole branch" and "snapped branch".
>
> It isn't a cartoon, and things like this make it farcical.

YOu obviously haven't played far enough into it, as that happens ONCE. ANd I thought it was funkiningly hilarious.
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Okay. I genuinely enjoyed that. :)
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:23
Regular
Blank wrote:

> One bit I did enjoy was the seagull bit. When I played that bit I
> think I must've felt a bit like most of you do the whole time you play
> it. But did I miss something, or is there nothing to do but fly around
> and get killed? Nice addition nevertheless, but still...

It comes in useful in quite a few puzzels later in the game.
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:20
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
guess I forgot to shoot you :P

He has a point, I mean I played Carmageddon 64 for 1 min and hated it! So should I play through the whole game before I make the same conclusion?
I think whoever meant that you "shouldnt judge a game, as a whole when you only played part of it"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.