GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Import or Not To Import"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/11/01 at 14:07
Regular
I, like everyone else who uses this website is into games. However, I am getting increasingly frustrated in the delaying of games being released in the UK. Why should America and even Australia and NZ get games ages in advance of? I don't care about the games being in French and German, I just want to play them. I am finding it even more likely that I'll become an importer- Last weekend I was so close to buying a Japanese GameCube for £300 because I didn't want to wait 6 months for it to come out here. What makes America and Japan so special that they get everything ages in advance of the rest of us. Other examples are with N64 games such as Banjo-Tooie, Zelda Majora's Mask and Perfect, and with Final Fantasy X. We'll in essence be getting FFX a year after Japan. Consoles will have moved on by then, so it won't be of such a high standard to the punters then compared to the punters when it was released in Japan. I'm angry, and everyone else looking forward to a game is angry, because, we should get the same rights when it comes to videogames.

Also, we suffer from poor conversions from the NTSC format to PAL. Video Game Console Developers can easily make consoles universal - Take the GameBoy and GameBoy Advance for example, but they just can't be bothered. I am finding it so annoying, as are all other hardcore gamers, and I think that it should stop.

To all developers out there - The UK is a large market, and people will like you and buy your products much more if you don't just ignore us and our gaming needs.
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:47
Regular
"listen to the maste"
Beautiful Freak wrote:
> Mystique wrote:
> riiiight
i'm guessing its a nintardo game
no?

Well
> no, Pipsaru 2 (and 1) are both on the beautiful black box. But still,
> Nintardo's are remedialed chunks of plastic.

Obviously you are the remedial, since you can't use the word in its proper context. Nintendo are great, and unlike Sony, they are the people who bring innovation to the market ie. Controllers with joysticks, rumble packs, microphone peripherals etc. Sony are just in the market for the money, as are Microsoft. I'm with Nintendo all the way. The only thing i dislike Nintendo for is that they don't care about us in Europe. That is why I am turning to importing, but I would like to know some more advantages of it, since the prices can be extortionate.
Wed 14/11/01 at 14:05
Regular
"look in the mirror"
Mystique wrote:
> riiiight
no?

Well no, Pipsaru 2 (and 1) are both on the beautiful black box. But still, Nintardo's are remedialed chunks of plastic.
Tue 13/11/01 at 19:21
Regular
riiiight
no?
Tue 13/11/01 at 18:41
Regular
"look in the mirror"
Let me just say one game - Pipsaru 2!!! More commonly known as 'Mosquito' over here. It hasn't had a release and is possibly the most innovative title ever (apart from possibly Pipsaru 1).
Tue 13/11/01 at 16:17
Regular
imports cost more and if they are from Japan then they are in jap-ibberish
no point...
metal gear in 2 weeks!
woo hoo
Tue 13/11/01 at 14:17
Don't give into the tempation of IMports! They are bad and SR are better.
Tue 13/11/01 at 14:15
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I don't like importing, although you get the game a few months before it's released in the UK, it gives the producers a little extra tie to get rid of bugs and so on.
Although, it's a great idea to import if the game doesnt get released in the UK, we loose so many games that way.
Tue 13/11/01 at 14:14
Regular
"look in the mirror"
Too right. I have turned to importing most of my games i.e FFX (bloody amazing). I have even pre-ordered an American XBOX with Halo. But still, it is easier with PAL games.
Tue 13/11/01 at 14:07
Regular
"listen to the maste"
I, like everyone else who uses this website is into games. However, I am getting increasingly frustrated in the delaying of games being released in the UK. Why should America and even Australia and NZ get games ages in advance of? I don't care about the games being in French and German, I just want to play them. I am finding it even more likely that I'll become an importer- Last weekend I was so close to buying a Japanese GameCube for £300 because I didn't want to wait 6 months for it to come out here. What makes America and Japan so special that they get everything ages in advance of the rest of us. Other examples are with N64 games such as Banjo-Tooie, Zelda Majora's Mask and Perfect, and with Final Fantasy X. We'll in essence be getting FFX a year after Japan. Consoles will have moved on by then, so it won't be of such a high standard to the punters then compared to the punters when it was released in Japan. I'm angry, and everyone else looking forward to a game is angry, because, we should get the same rights when it comes to videogames.

Also, we suffer from poor conversions from the NTSC format to PAL. Video Game Console Developers can easily make consoles universal - Take the GameBoy and GameBoy Advance for example, but they just can't be bothered. I am finding it so annoying, as are all other hardcore gamers, and I think that it should stop.

To all developers out there - The UK is a large market, and people will like you and buy your products much more if you don't just ignore us and our gaming needs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.