GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Dead to Rights: Retribution"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dead to Rights: Retribution'.
Wed 07/07/10 at 19:49
Regular
"hulagadoo"
I’m not normally one for writing reviews but thought I’d give it a bash. Dead to Rights appeared through my letter box courtesy of Boomerang Rentals. I forgot adding it to my rental list and I wasn’t holding out much hope as I put it into the Xbox for the first time. What followed was a rather pleasant surprise…

Story

There’s nothing new here in terms of a story. It takes place in Grant City where you play as a tough cop called Jack Slate and his canine companion Shadow. Jack is trying to get to the bottom of a typical government conspiracy theory and although predictable there’s enough going on to keep you from wanting to skip the unskippable cut scenes.

Gameplay

The main focus in DTR is third-person shooting, which uses a clunky cover system and the good old bullet time (in this case focus mode). There are plenty of different weapons ranging from the standard pistols/shotguns to shock rifles that electrocute enemies. By pulling off stylish kills such as headshots your focus meter builds up and can then be used to slow down time to make those all important shots on enemies. When he’s not shooting Jack’s boxing his way to survival. The hand to hand combat works well and there are plenty of different combos that can be pulled off. Pulling off successful combos results in a prompt to perform a brutal but sometimes rather comical “takedown”. There’s also a handy disarm move so you can stand a better chance when attacking someone who has a shotgun aimed at your face.

One of the better abilities is that you can use Shadow to attack any enemy you chose. This is especially helpful when surrounded by a large crowd and can be the key to survival. Shadow also has the ability to fetch you weapons which is always handy when you can’t move from cover.

Throughout the game there are a few ‘Shadow’ sections which incorporate a stealth element. They usually involve approaching a locked gate which has a rather handy hole in it just the size of the doggy. Shadow is then sent to retrieve the keys. It is near impossible to take a non-stealth approach to these sections as the guards are quick to react to you and only a couple of shots will kill you. Rather unconvincing seeing as in the previous section Shadow was able to withstand two rocket propelled grenades to the face.

Graphics

There’s not much positive to be said here. The characters look like people, Shadow resembles a dog. Overall the graphics are fairly dated and looks more like a launch title. That said they don’t hinder any enjoyment from the game.

Sound

The soundtrack isn’t very varied throughout, although it does add to the feel of gloom and misery. The character voices are nothing standout, you will recognise a few of them from other titles. The main one I picked up was the colonel from Metal Gear voicing Jack’s father (made me want to play Metal Gear again). Personally I don’t mind a bit of swearing if it’s in good context but they seem to fill any gaps in the audio with expletives. The weapons all sound about the same. Basically you won’t be missing much if you want to mute your TV.

Overall

So Dead to Rights Retribution is nothing amazing and won’t be getting any awards but that said I found it to be a guilty pleasure. It’s not something I’d tell you to rush out and buy but it’s definitely worth a rental, for the most part you can look by its many flaws and just enjoy killing everyone you meet. 6/10

And there we go my first review! Hope you enjoyed reading and any feedback will be appreciated.
Thu 08/07/10 at 11:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
We have another challenger to work out for ;)

Good luck for today's prize! Fingers crossed they'll announce the winners today :D
Thu 08/07/10 at 09:52
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Heh, cheers. I was sitting in work last night and needed something to do to pass the time. I've never really been into writing but once I got started I couldn't stop. You can expect to see a few more in the future!
Thu 08/07/10 at 08:24
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Great first review gr13ve! What took you so long to start going for them?

I may put this one on my rental list and see what I make of it. Need something average to make up for the poor games I had before :p
Wed 07/07/10 at 19:49
Regular
"hulagadoo"
I’m not normally one for writing reviews but thought I’d give it a bash. Dead to Rights appeared through my letter box courtesy of Boomerang Rentals. I forgot adding it to my rental list and I wasn’t holding out much hope as I put it into the Xbox for the first time. What followed was a rather pleasant surprise…

Story

There’s nothing new here in terms of a story. It takes place in Grant City where you play as a tough cop called Jack Slate and his canine companion Shadow. Jack is trying to get to the bottom of a typical government conspiracy theory and although predictable there’s enough going on to keep you from wanting to skip the unskippable cut scenes.

Gameplay

The main focus in DTR is third-person shooting, which uses a clunky cover system and the good old bullet time (in this case focus mode). There are plenty of different weapons ranging from the standard pistols/shotguns to shock rifles that electrocute enemies. By pulling off stylish kills such as headshots your focus meter builds up and can then be used to slow down time to make those all important shots on enemies. When he’s not shooting Jack’s boxing his way to survival. The hand to hand combat works well and there are plenty of different combos that can be pulled off. Pulling off successful combos results in a prompt to perform a brutal but sometimes rather comical “takedown”. There’s also a handy disarm move so you can stand a better chance when attacking someone who has a shotgun aimed at your face.

One of the better abilities is that you can use Shadow to attack any enemy you chose. This is especially helpful when surrounded by a large crowd and can be the key to survival. Shadow also has the ability to fetch you weapons which is always handy when you can’t move from cover.

Throughout the game there are a few ‘Shadow’ sections which incorporate a stealth element. They usually involve approaching a locked gate which has a rather handy hole in it just the size of the doggy. Shadow is then sent to retrieve the keys. It is near impossible to take a non-stealth approach to these sections as the guards are quick to react to you and only a couple of shots will kill you. Rather unconvincing seeing as in the previous section Shadow was able to withstand two rocket propelled grenades to the face.

Graphics

There’s not much positive to be said here. The characters look like people, Shadow resembles a dog. Overall the graphics are fairly dated and looks more like a launch title. That said they don’t hinder any enjoyment from the game.

Sound

The soundtrack isn’t very varied throughout, although it does add to the feel of gloom and misery. The character voices are nothing standout, you will recognise a few of them from other titles. The main one I picked up was the colonel from Metal Gear voicing Jack’s father (made me want to play Metal Gear again). Personally I don’t mind a bit of swearing if it’s in good context but they seem to fill any gaps in the audio with expletives. The weapons all sound about the same. Basically you won’t be missing much if you want to mute your TV.

Overall

So Dead to Rights Retribution is nothing amazing and won’t be getting any awards but that said I found it to be a guilty pleasure. It’s not something I’d tell you to rush out and buy but it’s definitely worth a rental, for the most part you can look by its many flaws and just enjoy killing everyone you meet. 6/10

And there we go my first review! Hope you enjoyed reading and any feedback will be appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.